• This topic has 24 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Anyone doing the Merida Brass Monkeys series…?
  • DrP

Only managed the dates for one race last year..
    Think I could squeeze more in this year though – was just wondering if there’s any takers from round these parts?

DrP

adsh
    Free Member

Yup I signed up for the series and am gradually introducing the dates to the family diary.

JRTG
    Free Member

Ooh good idea, I’d better see if i can do the dates. Time to go check.

dobo
    Free Member

I may do 1 in jan because the others are clashing with CX races which ive promised myself to prioritise this year, then should be ready for gorrick XC in the new year.

DT78
    Free Member

I only managed one last year, hoping to do all of them this year, but if the weather is awful I’ll leave it….

curiousyellow
    Free Member

A couple probably in Jan.

pondo

Not booked any in but enjoyed the ones I did last year, so might be on the cards. 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, I’ll likely do some of them, cement mny place in mid table mediocrity.

adsh
    Free Member

Yep, I’ll likely do some of them, cement mny place in mid table mediocrity.

I resemble that comment! I am aiming for mid table mediocrity and it’s quite a stretch! 😯

moonboy
    Free Member

Never done these, what’s the thoughts on 2 hours vs 4?

(apart from the obvious)

kilo

Entered all three rounds, I dream of mid table mediocrity.

I think four hours would probably kill me.

njee20
    Free Member

There are four this year aren’t there?

I was consistently top 10 a few years ago. Sad times.

kilo

There are four this year aren’t there?

you are correct, wow an extra round of pain.

pete68
    Free Member

Entered round 1. was hoping to do all 4 but don’t think I can make the one straight after new year as I’ll probably still be on holiday

mrblobby
    Free Member

Quite fancy giving them a go. Not sure I’ll manage all of them. Any of the rounds better than the others?

How do the courses hold up? Likely to be a mudfest?

moonboy
    Free Member

Am in for round 1 on the 2 hour. Watching previous vids on the tube suggests first corner is a bit err busy…

Muke
    Free Member

PSA…..Round 1 will now take place at Minley not at Tunnel hill

Yak

I’m keen for these. Not sure how many i’ll get to, but i’ll try. I quite enjoy the 4hr format.

gee
    Free Member

In for the 4hr this year – fancied a change after 4yrs in the 2hr…

GB

Muke
    Free Member

The ACU boys will deffo have their work cut out with course prep, what with all the damaged trails due to forestry work @ Minley. The Gorrick crew did a great job with what was available for the XC last Sunday though.

Stiggy

I’m in, booked the lot, Grand Vet so I’ve got to do 3 hours 😯

adsh
    Free Member

Is the course longer? Do people normally do a pre race practice lap?

Muke
    Free Member
    Straightliner

Brass Monkeys courses are quite a lot longer than the Gorrick XC races, usually 7-8 miles as opposed to 3-4 miles.

Generally they are in locations that drain well and therefore don’t get particularly muddy, but heavy rain immediately before an event will mean mud and slop in places. Gorrick/Brass Monkey courses tend to be better than almost anywhere else that doesn’t have a rocky base in the case of inclement conditions. Be mindful that if it is wet, a lot of the terrain is quite sandy and you can easily go through a set(s) of brake pads.

Most people don’t do practice laps for these longer races due to the extra course length.

The course locations do change from year to year, and even at the same venues sections or even the entire route may be ridden in a different direction. However I have found Ash Ranges the least rewarding of the venues in the past, but since the last event there they may have added extra trails in there to make it more engaging.

kilo

adsh – Member

Do people normally do a pre race practice lap?

Stuff that 😀

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Anyone doing the Merida Brass Monkeys series…?’ is closed to new replies.