Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Anyone doing the Dunwich Dynamo this year?
  • eyerideit
    Free Member

Looks like fun* (if the weather’s good) if you like riding at night.

*If you like staying late and riding a 120 miles.

damitamit
    Free Member

Most probably (and maybe back again).

Done it a few times before. Its great fun!

eyerideit
    Free Member

And back! that morning? 😯

I’ve not done it before but am quite keen to.

jjt
    Free Member

Haha! I like that the ‘rude’ guy has found your Strava profile.

Looks like a great challenge, will have to look into doing this.

wilsonalasdair
    Free Member

Yea my mate and I signed up today. Getting bus back from there though !

GDRS

Anyone done this on a singlespeed roadbike…….like to know the score….

MrSmith
    Free Member

done it fixed. about 72gear inches but perhaps would have been happier at around 68.
    then went straight into a stag do, had an hours kip at 2pm then went on again to 2am where i was finally done for. :mrgreen:

GDRS

Very good effort….how long did it take you?

MrSmith
    Free Member

How long? well the barrel of adnams was empty by about 10pm 🙂

can’t remember how long but we left really late on purpose because there’s no point sitting on the beach in the dark. so the park was empty when we left sometime after 8, just followed the red tail lights and had an hours break at the food stop so we could ride as the sun gets up. i guess 7-8 hours riding time

DavidB
    Free Member

I did

whippersnapper
    Free Member

…in two minds about it this year. I have done it the last two years and enjoyed both. Last year went so perfectly with weather, mechanicals (only one snapped chain between two of us and that was on the way back), breakfast in the pub, watching the sunrise whilst swimming, and getting to Ipswich station 5 mins before the train came that I am not sure it could be as good again. Perhaps that is defeatest.

TiRed

Rode it on my Brompton a few years ago, then on a mtb. Might do it again this year, but I’d like to bring Son1, and he needs more miles.

It’s a great ride. Not particularly hilly, just rolling. 68″ fixed would be fine (42:16 on 700C)

brakes
    Free Member

when is it? meant to do this the past two years but couldn’t in the end.

jambon
    Free Member

Be very careful at the start if you’re riding a flash bike – a poor chap was jumped by a group of hoodies just ahead of me – knocked him off – cycled away on his bike – hoodies looked nasty so noone stopped which was rubbish.

I did it on a MTB with 2 full panniers (mine and GFs gear and stuff to sleep in) and it was hard work – on a road bike it’d be fine and dandy.

The wait for the coach back is REALLY BORING as there’s **** all to do at Dunwich. Probably best off cycling to Ipswich and getting the train home.

brakes
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to do it fixed as it seems like an appropriate bike to do it on, but given that it’s a lot further than I’ve ever ridden in a day on any bike (80 miles) then I might play it safe on the road bike.
    I’ve done 30 fixed (45:15) and that hurt afterwards, but I was pushing it).

wilsonalasdair
    Free Member

Really looking forward to it, live just down the road from the start so fairly easy to get to 😀

I will be riding my Kaff, possibly with a backpack for stuff, or if I do not sell it, my carradice.

crazy-legs

Yes a couple of times, 48:16 once and 48:17 the other time. All OK. Just a gently rolling route. The main problem is the wind.

We planed on riding home one year (group of 4 of us) and as we set off from Dunwich we realised there was a hell of a headwind and it also started raining. So we rode the 40 miles to Ipswich and got the train.

The times I’ve done it I’ve used a small slimline Camelbak to carry a waterproof and some food and spare lights.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

I’m doing it fixed, probably 53×19 FWIW

MrGreedy

Yes me too. Have done it on my 42:16 Pompino several times, though I’ve used a geared road bike the last few years. There are a few short sharp hills but nothing too bad. It’s a unique event for the atmosphere, thoroughly recommended – I’ve got so many great memories from over the years, the beautiful full moon, the way the sunrise creeps up on you, the stillness of the sea (when you get there), seeing barn owls out hunting at dawn.

I will almost certainly be doing it again this year, not least because my mum & dad live another 20 miles up the coast so I’ll get Sunday dinner to help me recover.

vala
    Free Member

I’m doing this too with a couple of mates. Gonna be on a singlespeed Roadrat.

tomatoevousparlour
    Free Member

Be very careful at the start if you’re riding a flash bike – a poor chap was jumped by a group of hoodies just ahead of me – knocked him off – cycled away on his bike – hoodies looked nasty so noone stopped which was rubbish.

Sounds nasty but without sounding to paranoid is this not a risk whenever you ride a nice bike at night?

crazy-legs

Sounds nasty but without sounding to paranoid is this not a risk whenever you ride a nice bike at night?

FTFY. 😉

We’ve had trouble on it before, gangs of kids in chavved up Novas throwing bottles and cans out the window at us. Most of the time though it’s been limited to a bit of drunken heckling as you go out through Essex.

Once its past midnight and you’re out of the suburbs, it’s a really nice ride, very peaceful but I’d stick in a group for the first 30 miles or so just for safety in numbers.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Think I’m looking forward to this more than PPS at the moment but I’m sure that will change. You can book a coach back from here

IanW
    Free Member

Did this last year for the first time, immediately became a favourite. I rode with a group of mixed age and ability one of out number, a fifty five year old occasional rider used a single speed langster. I couldn’t keep up with him most of the time.

Worst thing about this ride is it goes past my house @ 100 miles which makes the last 20 a challenge. Second what was said earlier get yourself back to Ipswich for a train there’s a pub and beach in Dunwich.

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’ve got a spare coach ticket if anyone’s interested.

email in profile

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Anyone doing the Dunwich Dynamo this year?’ is closed to new replies.