Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone ditched their dedicated GPS for smart phone OS maps?
  • rosscopeco
    Free Member

So I bought a SatMap 10 GPS unit with all the bells and whistles maybe 6 years ago and got it serviced last month (excellent service BTW, it’s more or less come back with everything replaced)…but it’s collecting dust.

The only time I use it in anger is for 5+ hr spins where I’m not familiar with the trails. For all my shorter stuff I’ve just started using the OS MapFinder app as it’s way less hassle than taking ‘another’ unit along the way. Yes, battery life sucks compared to the SatMap but you can limit the damage to phone batteries by sticking them in airplane mode.

Anyone else ditched their GPS units and properly opted for smart phone maps?

Might be selling the SatMap!

somouk
    Free Member

For biking yes, as you say, unless it’s a longer ride my bike specific GPS only really comes with me as a backup logger.

For hill walking I still use a dedicated GPS with paper map backup as the battery loss on the smart phone having it on and checking it all the time just got annoying.

canopy
    Free Member

Like many, I use my iphone to log strava (now with added heart rate monitor, which rules out airplane mode is it uses bluetooth) and a good ole fashioned paper map.

I usually plan well before a ride in unknown parts, and am pretty decent but am not immune to going a little off track. (last time it was because I saw an inviting trail and thought be rude not to go down there..)

i tuck the phone away in a waterproof case in my bag when i start to ride, and only ‘sync’ once back in the car and on the power. (a habit from my old phone as it would die otherwise)

I don’t want to use a live mapping app on my phone for fear of battery loss or an emergency call. (if there’s even a signal..) but i can see pre-downloaded maps might be a win, but still, i don’t want my phone exposed to crashes, muck etc.

i’d be very happy with a cheap, lightweight handheld gps that shows pre-downloaded maps, my location and no other things required apart from maybe a compass. optional uploading a gpx/waypoint could be useful, but thats all. satmap 10 looks kinda nice.. i’d stick with it for those rides in unfamiliar territory.

scotroutes

Nah. The phone stays safe, warm, well protected and with a full charge for when I might need it 🙂

welshfarmer

Yep. Samsung Xcover2 running Alpine Quest with all Wales at 1:25K OS mapping and rest of UK at 1:50K (with a few interesting bits also at 1:25K) on SD card. Been using it without issue for a few years now. Battery good for 8 hour rides if not constantly looking at the map. Saves routes as gpx files to upload to strava later. I carry a recharge pack if riding longer or overnight.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Etrex 30 on the bars for long rides on new terrain when following a dot. With a map and compass in my bag.

I find it hard to see the screen on my phone when its in my backpack. – usually off to be honest.

If i was picking a “gadget” to leave at home. It would be my phone.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

For me, the GPS only gets looked at if the way forward is unclear, so having it on the bars isn;t ‘really’ a necessity.

My phone is usually kept either in my jersey pocket or a frame bag so is only 10sec away from being used. It seems like a probable solution to my angst over carrying the SatMap. The number of times I’ve had it out when trail breaking and then discovering the battery has died is more than the No of times my phone has died.

Just bought some more 1:50 maps for further afield…will have to give to a go to see if it actually works for longer days.

whitestone
    Free Member

The phone is for phone calls. No point in using up its battery if you need to make an emergency call. Mostly the GPS (Garmin 510) is for logging what I’ve done, certainly for local rides. Offroad it’s usually in the sack or the jersey pocket. Have just got a new GPS with mapping (Garmin Oregon) for riding further afield and for longer (more than a day or two) rides.

trail_rat
    Free Member

A propper bar mounted gps with route marked on has revolutîonised my exploring rides. – and i was a staunch map user for years.

Flow much better no more stopping at every other junction or trail fork to check.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Edge 810, Edge 800, Edge 705, eTrex Vista, I’ve been logging my rides for at least 15 years. Save the phone for when I need it.

nickjb
    Free Member

I switched from dedicated GPS to using a phone pretty much as soon as phones got GPS. I’m not a avid stare at the dot person. I try and memorise the next few junctions then check occasionally. Never had a battery issue although I do take an external battery for longer rides, and usually a paper map as back up (and looking at in the pub)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Edge 810 on the bars, works in the rain, mud and cold, the screen can take abuse and it has a better battery. I’ve battered it into the floor enough times to be happy that it’s tough.

My phone stays tucked up and dry in the bag or sometimes at home.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I found over 100k i was wasting toomuch time map checking esp on complex routes with lots of singletrak- not alwYs marked on the paper map either.

Gives me much more time to enjoy the trails and not lose speed on the downs or rhythem on the climbs ensurig i go the right way amount if back tracking has significantly decreased also.

When your tired and navigating in loor light mistakes can be made on paper maps. Much harder to make em if ou have plotted your route correctly.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ditched their dedicated GPS for smart phone OS maps?’ is closed to new replies.