Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone demoed a whyte t129 vs a t130
  • spikeybridge
    Free Member

Decided to sell my carbon hardtail after demoing the whyte t129 and whyte t130.
    Has anyone else demo’ed both of these- tough call as I found the t129 better uphill (with the t130 sluggish…but demo’ed second..was I tired!!) with the t130 better once the trail went slightly down (or more) and more ‘poppy’
    Wanted to prefer the t130 but it compromised my uphill when compared to the 129..with a slow mate keeping up with me on the t130. Generally like Afan and fast flowing singletrack, never really get air….but do want to get more adventurous.
    Any other views….thanks

Rorschach
    Free Member

Shirley the t130 is one better?

mboy
    Free Member

Ridden both, spent more time on a T-129 though as I owned one of those.

The T-130 is an awesome machine, and a load of fun to boot. The T-129 is a little more serious and focused, if that makes sense, but ultimately (given the same rider, trails and conditions) it’s the faster of the 2 bikes. Pretty much the cliches you might expect in a 650b vs 29er shootout I’m afraid to say!

Choice may come down to availability though… There’s not many of either bike left out there, Whyte having pretty much sold out, but the T-130 is even thinner on the ground than the T-129 now. How tall are you?

spikeybridge
    Free Member

I’m 5’10”. Bang in the middle between medium and large….have demo’ed though and a large is ok.
    (why do manufactures so that…I’m average height, so would expect medium height to cover 5’7” to 5’11” or som)

Stock is scarce I agree but have found some around. Just got to try re-demoing side by side next time.
    Was genuinely surprised and put off by my speed reduction uphill in the 130 vs a 129…but my mate says I was tired and in the wrong gear!! Going downhill/ berms the 130 did feel better!!
    Thanks

dyls

Did you get one in the end?

daznal
    Free Member

Haven’t tried the 129 but I’ve got one of the 130c’s and after swapping the god awful tyres it came with it is as brilliant going up hill as it is blasting down the other side.GET ONE

plastic_scotsman
    Free Member

Just got a T130 and like it lots. I am 5-10″ and went for the large. Would be interested in any tyre recommendations for lakes riding.

Plastic

welshfarmer

Brother is about 5.10 and rides a large 129.

james
    Free Member

Not sure if it bothers you but T129’s have (or had?) quite limited rear tyre clearance
    A friend of mine bought one late 2014, Came with a 2.2″ WTB front, 2.0″ WTB rear. Wanted a 2.2″ WTB rear, but it wouldn’t fit in the frame when he tried

Someone else I know has 2.3″ Spesh Butchers front/rear in a 2015 T130, so no hassle there

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone demoed a whyte t129 vs a t130’ is closed to new replies.