Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • anyone dealt with turner for warranty stuff and been charged??
  • renton
    Free Member

My wife has just got home and sat waiting for me on the door mate was a bill for £76 for shipping charges for the warranty replacement rear end for my spot?

should i have to pay the shipping costs??

it was never mentioned in the emails between me and luke/greg @ turner so i fell i shouldnt?

what do you think?

renton
    Free Member

i have emailed then by the way !! but as its weekend no answer yet

renton
    Free Member

anyone ??

does anyone think that i should be paying this either??

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

It was a 2nd hand frame wasn’t it? If so think yourself lucky you got a free rear end and only had to pay postage.

renton
    Free Member

it was a second hand frame however turner frames have transferable warranty.

why wasnt it explained to me in the fifty or so emails that went between us that i would inccur charges?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

maybe better to wait until they contact you rather than question it on the web

Vortexracing

why wasnt it explained to me in the fifty or so emails that went between us that i would inccur charges

I think the only people to answer that are Turner.

When I got my replacement linkages for my 09 DW spot, Turner stood all the charges. The package was quite small though, your new rear end probably cost a lot more to post.

I don’t think you will get an answer off here, ring them on Monday and see if they can explain it.

Rubber-Duck

They sorted my Highline FOC, the bits arrived yesterday, I have always heard good things and my experiences confirm this.

Ed

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Most warranty from all manufacturers covers parts only, and does not shipping and labour.

doof_doof
    Free Member

A bill for shipping charges or Tax/import duty charges from customs?

renton
    Free Member

rubber duck did you bits come from america through fed ex?

wifes says the invoive is for Economy service, duty,vat, advancement fee ??

package was 1.8 kgs so not that big?

renton
    Free Member

i cant afford 76 quid at the moment though??

should turner have explained this to me?

allthepies
    Free Member

I got hit with import charges on a King warranty hub axle a few years back. They had used some uber expensive shipping service and so the customs charge (which covers goods+shipping) was high for a low weight/value item.

PITA but chalked it up to experience, next time I’d ask for a cheaper shipping option.

Edit: I was lucky in that I could afford it, gutted if I were skint however.

renton
    Free Member

i didnt get any option on shipping to be honest they just said they would sort it!!

whilst im grateful they sent me out a new rear end im not happy about having to pay £76

neninja
    Free Member

If it’s for duty and vat you can claim it back. Contact the shipping company and explain its a warranty part and they should be able to help.

It’s Turner’s fault for not clearly marking on the commercial invoice that the part is a warranty part and putting a zero value on the invoice.

renton
    Free Member

thanks for the reply.

Ive got people calling me a moaning brit over on the turner forum on mtbr for asking the same question.

i can understand where they are coming from but still….

Am i right to feel a bit peeved about it?

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Big-Pete
    Free Member

50 emails!!!!
    Might be punishment 😉

renton
    Free Member

Just sent an email to fed ex to see if they can help in any way ??

khani
    Free Member

To be fair to turner, sounds like they did pay for shipping, it’s this end you get stitched up, Perils of fedex, customs, the taxman and royal mail I’m afraid, they all want a piece of your dosh
    The royal mail Handling fee especially grates considering postage has already been paid, I think you’ll have to pay in the end though…Sorry 😕

simondbarnes

Am i right to feel a bit peeved about it?

I don’t think so. £76 seems like a bargain to get your bike up and running again.

kilo

It’s been a lomng time since I dealt with this but I,m not sure there is a customs relief for warranty parts when dealing with second hand goods and transferable warranties, you can claim a refund of duty if the parts turn out to be defective but you never paid the origunal duty and are probably past the time limits, furthermore it does not sound as though the goods were sent outside the EU for repair which would have entitled you to relief from duty and vat.

People get round this with the zero valuation by declaring the good as samples which does carry a duty exempetion.

I may be wrong so try HMRC advice line

renton
    Free Member

might have to sell this cheap in the classifieds then to drum up the cash !!

anyone want a cheap five spot rear end !!

Vortexracing

might have to sell this cheap in the classifieds then to drum up the cash !!

anyone want a cheap five spot rear end !!

how is this going to help?

you obviously needed it because your last one is bent.

wrecker
    Free Member

What would you do with your front end if you sell the new rear?

renton
    Free Member

No No no there is nothing wrong with the current swing arm, turner sent this out purely for cosmetic reasons, let me explain………..

I posted a thread on mtbr about clearance issues i was having between my cranks and the swing arm, whilst pedalling stood up the drive side cranks arm was slightly clipping the swing arm, turner sent me a new swing arm due to this, however the problem lay with the cranks set not the bike, it was cured by fitting a different chain set in this case.

I advertised the frame for sale with the mark on the chanistay clearly shown(more of a chip off the sticker to be fair ) and the guy who bought it off me was happy.

so now i dont own the frame and i have this brand new swing arm sat at home waiting for me to get back into the country.

Even if i send it back to turner its still going to cost me ?

What do you think?

khani
    Free Member

If you don’t have the bike anymore you might as well flog the rear end if you can
    Bummer!!! 😕

renton
    Free Member

here is the mark in question………….

see the little “nick” in the dw link sticker….

khani
    Free Member

😯 You can’t fault turner if you got a new swingarm because of that….

coogan
    Free Member

You got a new swing arm for that tiny wee mark that was caused by duff cranks? Even though you had sold the bike on?! This is possibly one of the dumbest threads I’ve read.

renton
    Free Member

coogan, was going to keep the bike as i was having problems with not being sure if it was the right size for me, really wanted to keep it as it was an amazing bike!

rode it a few times after and decided it wasnt for me as it was just to small in the top tube and was hurting my back so reluctantly sold it

sold it on a week or so ago before the swing arm tipped up??
    why is that dumb bud?

renton
    Free Member

khani you are right i cant fault turner for sorting it out and if i was buying a new bike in the future i would seriously consider a turner for the back up you get.

I was just shocked when the bill from fed ex landed on the door matt.

i wonder if turner had put the value as £0 would i still of got the bill?

coogan
    Free Member

Dumb? You got a brand new swing arm for something that was not a warranty issue. It’s not snapped, it’s not bent, it’s not badly welded. It’s a teeny wee mark from a set of bad cranks hitting it. They gave you a brand new replacement swing arm for something what is NOT a warranty issue and you got a shipping bill of £76. Can’t see any problem here myself, yeh, you weren’t expecting the cost, but I feel they’ve done nothing wrong. They gave you a new swing arm for something that didn’t need replaced from that picture.

monogramman
    Free Member

Warranty replacement for that small mark? You would do more than that on a first outing.

Might not seem dumb to you as you have got something for nothing! If I worked at Turner And read this thread I would be pi55ed! Working hard for a living to satisfy customers – Not even the original purchaser – and you feel hard done to for customs charges!

renton
    Free Member

hey it was turners idea to send the new swing arm out after showing him the picture above and also the ones with the cranks fitted to show the clearance issue.

johnners
    Free Member

hey it was turners idea to send the new swing arm out

Well, it was your idea to accept a part you didn’t actually need.

renton
    Free Member

true johnners and now im stuck with this bill!! 🙁

If i send it back to turner which is what i would do its going to cost me that way too.

Turner said that if i kept riding with the original chainset it would eventually knacker both the swing arm and the crank arm, so he said ride it, dont worry about the damage to the swing arm i will send you one out to replace that one.

khani
    Free Member

i wonder if turner had put the value as £0 would i still of got the bill?

Most of it, I’ve had a few things from the USA and you still get stitched by RM, also if turner lied about the value they could be prosecuted in the US as well, we were sent some stuff from some friends in the us marked as a gift and we still got charged by the tax/vat man and the RM handling fee
    I think you get charged as to the goods value, not what you’ve paid iirc
    They want their money regardless
    Edit… if it were me and I wasn’t the original owner I’d be over the moon with that, think yourself lucky it wasn’t an intense, had a problem with the mrs’s spyder and they wanted £800 to sort it out, plus shipping and tax’s and she was the original owner, and the problem was caused by the shop fitting an incorrect size seatpost 0.2mm to big which cracked the seatube, by the time she noticed the shop had gone bust and she got a big V sign from intense,
    Never again

renton
    Free Member

coogan, the cranks weren’t duff as you put it.

something to do with a narrow “q” factor on the xtr chainset i believe, do a search on tinterweb there are a few threads about it!

iDave
    Free Member

Turner said that if i kept riding with the original chainset it would eventually knacker both the swing arm and the crank arm, so he said ride it, dont worry about the damage to the swing arm i will send you one out to replace that one.

Why did that take 50 emails?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘anyone dealt with turner for warranty stuff and been charged??’ is closed to new replies.