Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone converted to 10mm bolt through at the back (esp on a Prophet), good idea?
  • swisstony
    Free Member

It's not a major problem but the back end of the prophet is a bit flexy, would going bolt through help, (it needs to help significantly as it will be a new wheel and gubbins job)

ta

jeff

Did this on my Meta 5 – it's slightly stiffer but not hugely.

Flex wasn't a major problem with my frame but I think they have changed the swing arm since.

I went for the Maxle route for convienience and I had Hope Pro 2 hubs, so just needed a new axle/conversion kit.

Not sure if I would pay to do it again, but I would look for a maxle on the rear of any new bikes I bought.

hope that's useful, sorry if it's a bit vague!

I would like to make the switch on my Coiler – with 2.5 tyres I get rub on the brake arm when cornering and pedalling. like you, it's the cost/hassle that is putting me off.

kimbers

i did it on my kona stab and bear and did notice a difference

and the NC17 10mm QRs are great

swisstony
    Free Member

thanks jeff, it may not be worth it then as i have an older Hope XC hub so it will mean a new hub/wheel.

ta

swisstony
    Free Member

kimbers, yeh i'd be going for a qr one, i'd looked at the DT Swiss ones.

Macgyver

Just a note of caution on the Swiss DT ones. I've got one on the rear of the tandem and whilst I can't complain about it's performance, i am concerned about it's longevity. Maybe in part due to ham fistedness by me, the splines on the carbon plastic lever can be stripped if they are not fully engaged. It's easy enough to change the lever but and it's a big BUT, I have beed told that you can't buy a new lever on it's own. No sireee you need to by a whole new axle at 50 quid a pop. Ridiculus situation. Seems a bit off to me and it's kinda turned me off a product that i quite like.

Macgyver

swisstony
    Free Member

thanks macgyver, i thought you'd have made your own though!

dale
    Free Member

tried hope bolt in on a prophet not a massive change but I am no downhill god (more of an offering).I prefer the hope xc not so loud just as strong
    find the flex ok, helps find its way through the rock gardens

mangoridebike

Do you have to make any changes to dropouts to do this?

BadlyWiredDog

Comments on the DT Swiss thing seconded, strip really, really easily and they all do eventually at which point it's expensive scrap. CRC sells a 10mm quick release skewer that might be a better bet.

I went 10mm on the back of my RC405 and I'd say, subjectively, I can feel the difference on rubbly, fast Peak stuff.

Standard drop-outs are 10mm, so no, no changes needed. If you want to use a 12mm Maxle, is it 12mm, you do need special drop-outs though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone converted to 10mm bolt through at the back (esp on a Prophet), good idea?’ is closed to new replies.