Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone compare a Genesis Equilibrium and Datum?
  • tenacious_doug
    Free Member

On the face of it the Datum looks more or less like a carbon version of the Equilibrium, with a bit more tire clearance. I’ve ridden and loved Equilibrium’s for the last 7 or 8 years, torn between another one (931 Stainless disc), or moving to a Datum 30. Prices are identical for each.

STATO
    Free Member

Ive not ridden an equilibrium but ive got a Datum. Its fast certainly but i do find it harsh compared to steel bikes ive had/have, which surprised my as carbon bikes ive had have been quite comfortable and the Datum is reviewed as comfy, so maybe ive not had enough experience of race carbon bikes.

13thfloormonk

I was torn between the two, in the end it boiled down to my dislike of discs, building up a non-disc equilibrium with some nice Campag gear and Zonda wheels comes in lighter, cheaper and better specced than the equivalently priced Datum.

However, if you wanted discs I guess the disc Equilibrium vs the Datum is a closer tie, the printed weights are similar and the spec of the EQuilibrium looks higher (Ultegra in places where the Datum is 105).

breninbeener

@STATO…im about to build up a Datum. What seatpost do you have? Would a more compliant post help?

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I was torn between the two, in the end it boiled down to my dislike of discs, building up a non-disc equilibrium with some nice Campag gear and Zonda wheels comes in lighter, cheaper and better specced than the equivalently priced Datum.

Though in my case I want discs 🙂

STATO
    Free Member

breninbeener – its not in the saddle where its noticable, I have a USE carbon post that has given me some comfort back. I notice that its got less give in the forks and frame generally, so i feel it in my hands and feet.

As i said my comparison is a steel frame (current surly crosscheck, previous some 853 frames) and a ’09 carbon TIME VX. Its not comfy like those but equally its not harsh like some Alu frames (i have a alu cx bike that tries to break your wrists at anythink over 30psi in the tyre), i dont have experience of modern carbon race bikes to compare to those. I expected a lot more from it though, especially with its 32mm tyres, and ive tried a range of pressures. Im swapping out the stock Clements for some GP4season which i know are good and should get some more back.

I think though adding disk mounts does always make a frame harsher than with calipers of cantis.

STATO
    Free Member

Just reading that back and maybe i am being too harsh on it (Pun intended) as lots of people seem to like theirs and i seem to be alone (or the first) expressing an issue. I still have the stock bars so the Aero top profile might not be helping either. Might look to switch those out for some Bontrager ones i have, or jump in and get the iso-core Bonts.

13thfloormonk

I’d always thought an aero profile on the bars might help with comfort, as they are made thinner in the vertical section?

I’ve got some Hover bars on my new bike and the diameter reduces dramatically to the wing section on top.

STATO
    Free Member

I’d always thought an aero profile on the bars might help with comfort, as they are made thinner in the vertical section?

I’ve got some Hover bars on my new bike and the diameter reduces dramatically to the wing section on top.

I dont know, sure it might be thinner external dimensions but that means thicker material has to be used to retain stiffness when to bending, such as pulling on the drops.

Certainly ive not seen a review of an aero bar that said it was more comfortable from a construction point, only that the larger aero section makes a nice flat place to rest your hands.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Interesting feedback on the Datum Stato. Has nobody ridden both?

STATO
    Free Member

I went out on the Datum at the weekend. I feel i should revise my description of it to firm. With 70/80 psi in the 32mm tyres you do feel each bump, but the impacts are damped. Compared to a steel frame which would deflect on hitting a bump i dont think the datum does that, certainly when you stand up on it there is no flex when sprinting. I was actually surprised at how good it was (ive not ridden it for 3 months) and how fast and its comfort from the damped feel to each hit, but you did notice a hit.

I think maybe coming to it from a steel bike i was expecting too much. I rode my steel (Surly Crosscheck) this morning and it was more comfortable but when i stood up to sprint up a hill i nearly crashed as it responded totally differently to the initial input compared to the Datum.

Id say its the bike you want it you like to get somewhere fast but without being completely broken by a race bike.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone compare a Genesis Equilibrium and Datum?’ is closed to new replies.