Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anyone clued up on insulation?
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

We have a bay window in our bedroom and it's flipping cold. We have replaced all our windows and doors in the house but this area is the only downfall in our houses warmth.
    I am at a loss where to start on how to insulate it. Could it be blown ala cavity style? Or am I going to have to rip off some tiles or maybe rip down the plasterboard ceiling?
    Any help appreciated.

matt_outandabout

How is the house built? Cavity or solid?
    flat roof to bay?
    room on the inside of the wall?
    are you high up, or near the coast, or exposed, or in a particularly damp place?
    What insulation to you have in the floors?
    How is the draft proofing?
    Whats the window – double glazed?
    What curtains – and do they do floor to ceiling?

wonnyj
    Free Member

What type of wall construction do you have and how old is the window? Is it a house or a flat?

genesis
    Free Member

Like he said.

matt_outandabout

*high fives question buddy*

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

A picture paints a thousand words.

monkeychild
    Free Member

It's a 3 bed semi house
    We have cavity walls (will be getting them insulated soon)
    The bay is similar to this(I have been hunting high and low for something that looks like it lol)

But without the downstairs bit.
    The windows are a month old.
    We don't suffer from damp anywhere apart from the condensation in this bay, as it's exposed from the house.

jonb
    Free Member

Might just be a surface area thing, lots of brick and glass in that part exposed to the outside. Maybe just get some bikg heavy/thick curtains?

Pieface

So you want to insulate the ceiling of the upstairs bay window?

If its like the picture you could insulate the ceiling from the roof space, be surprised if it hadn't already been done.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Nah no insulation in there as it's 'kin freezing. We have nice thick curtains but it still gets a tad chilly, also it's the amount of condensation that accumulates there as well that annoys me.

Pieface

Double glazing?

No insulation in the roof space?

Are the walls damp too?

How old is the house?

Do you dry clothes in that room?

matt_outandabout

Get the cavity done, get some really nice heavy lined curtains as much floor to ceiling as you can, and yes you can add *some* insulation to underside of ceiling, I would look for 'breathable' stuff (so no polystyrene/eps/xps then) – e.g. Pavatex, and then skim and paint.

matt_outandabout

Condensation is a different issue….(i.e. its excessive humidity. Stop breathing, its the only way to solve it)

Pieface

True – however after insulating our loft / attic we had major condensation problems that only got resolved by venting the roof.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Double glazing? Yep one month old

No insulation in the roof space? In the loft area there is

Are the walls damp too? Nope

How old is the house? 17 Years

Do you dry clothes in that room? Nope

takisawa2

Brick it up till spring. 🙂

monkeychild
    Free Member

😆

GaVgAs
    Free Member

http://www.secondnatureuk.com/

This is the gear for some exellent gains in warmth,efficiency,and enviromentally friendly. 😉

(I confess the company director is a good friend of mine)

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Pieface – Member

True – however after insulating our loft / attic we had major condensation problems that only got resolved by venting the roof.

Your roof space should be ventilated, hance having eaves to allow air to circlate sounds like you insulation was not fitted properly and prevented the air from flowing properly, ie blocking the space betwwen your joists and eaves. I have also seen a similar problem with debris on the membrane causing moisture to travel onto the outer brickwork.

Op

the condensation is a result of the lack of insulation on the bay window, hence low dew point. Additional insulation will help on the brickwork and roof/ ceiling. Do you have a radiator below the window,there is a reason why many rediators are found below windows despite much of the heat being lost? and does the DG have ventilation. What is the quality of the DG ?

monkeychild
    Free Member

There is a rad below the window (it's not the best and will be getting replaced) There are no vents in the windows, we just open them during the day as the last houses we have had with vents we found them useless tbh.

Pieface

Stonemonkey – The roof had no ventilation in the 1st place.

Could be due to the amount of exposed surface area within the bay.
    If you do use cavity fill insulation, just make sure that the cavity around the bay is fully surveyed as this area is often porly constructed.

Might help tp move rad. & use full length curtains with a thermal lining in them, or if you can line the bay walls with some thermaline board to increase the resistance in the wall.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anyone clued up on insulation?’ is closed to new replies.