Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone changed to a firmer fork spring, and was it worth it?
  • poppa
    Free Member

I am using Rockshox Tora 318 U-Turn forks, and although I am surprisingly happy with the performance of them in general, I find them a bit ‘divey’ and have taken to running compression damping to counter this.

Checking the SRAM website it appears that at 83kg I lie slap bang in the middle of the weight reccommendations for ‘firm’ and ‘very firm’ springs. Currently I am using the ‘standard’ spring that came with the fork.

On the basis of this, I would assume that it is a good idea to change to the firm spring – I just wondered if anyone else has done anything similar, and their thoughts. Best price I can find is ~£37, which seems quite steep considering the forks were £145 new!

DezB
    Free Member

Definitely worth getting hold of the right spring for your weight, makes a huge difference!
    Try a Wanted on the classifieds.

poppa
    Free Member

I thought about classifieds, but surely the only springs people will selling are going to be the standard ones that came with the fork?!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Call TF Tuned as they can often off set some of the cost of the new spring in return for the old one, especially if you’re getting them serviced at the same time.

In terms of whether it’s worth it, if you’ve got a ‘standard’ spring and you need either the firm or the very firm, then its absolutely worth the money. The bike will sit better in its travel, which will improve the handling.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yes, do it.

One bit of advice though – RS springs are generally under-rated. By that I mean that you’ll be OK with the firm, and won’t need the X-firm. Technically I should be on an X-firm, but firm is perfect.

DezB
    Free Member

I thought about classifieds, but surely the only springs people will selling are going to be the standard ones that came with the fork?!

they might’ve bought 2nd hand and had to change to a lighter spring.. it’s amazing what you can turn up on the classifieds..

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

It makes a big difference on any bike. Otherwise you just blow through your fork travel too quick and get too much sag and pedal bob. Its even more important on low travel forks, 80-100mm to get the correct spring rate.

poppa
    Free Member

Ok, eyes peeled on the classifieds then… 😯

Althought to be honest I will probably just get impatient and order a new one. Looking forward to it, any excuse to mess about with the bike.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Hmmm, maybe ought to do mine, keep thinking about it (got a 318 as well) but as the bike is too big it seems to sag appropriately. Have endeavored to get me to fit the fork through weight loss instead (he said, looking at the biscuit tin…).
    £37 quid, kind of doable I suppose.
    Is it worth getting cheap forks serviced by a company? What would it cost?

poppa
    Free Member

I heard it is very easy to change the spring yourself – checked the tech info on the SRAM site and it does seem that way. Just need a socket wrench of the correct size.

retro83
    Free Member

Yes, do it!

I’m 14 stone and have switched from medium->firm->x-firm on my Pike fork, and finally I’m 100% happy with the handling of the bike.

To do the job is very easy, just need a 24mm socket and if it’s u-turn then ideally a magnet so you don’t drop the tiny ball bearings/springs under the adjuster.

avdave2

I just wish I could get a spring to move. At 60kg I can’t get more than 50mm out of My Magura Oder 85’s even with the softest spring and spacers removed. I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised as I could never get my Hite Rite to move either.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Eat more pies mate, or more cake…
    😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone changed to a firmer fork spring, and was it worth it?’ is closed to new replies.