Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone changed from 3×9 to 3×10 just to get a clutched rear mech?
  • dingabell
    Free Member

I’d really like a Shadow Plus rear mech but my 575 is set up for 3×9. I’m toying with the idea of replacing everything with ten speed just to get the mech but am I being stupid? It’s a lot of money to change shifters/mechs/cassettes etc so I just wondered if anyone else had done it, and whether they thought it was worth it? Been to Coed Y Brenin and Cwmcarn this weekend and my rattling chain was driving me nuts. I use a Bionicon chainguide for the downhill track but want something that I can just fit and forget.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Nope but i did go from 3×9 to 1×10 and i love it. Some really steep stuff is not do-able and downhill on the road spins out but i love how clean the bars and cranks look. Doesn’t answer your question though…

Northwind

I changed from 2×9 to 2×9-and-a-half, only works with SRAM shifters though. Doesn’t really make any sense unless you already have them.

But yep, worth it. IMO unless you’re single ring it’s the only reason to change to 10-speed.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    legend
    Free Member

I went from 2×9 to 2×9 with clutch mech. Shimano Shadow+ and 6mm spacer FTW

Simon

So a Shimamo 10spd clutch mech will work with my existing X7 9spd shifter? Interesting.

Northwind

Yah, with a little spacer (can be a stack of washers, mine are just simple blocks of alu with a hole drilled)

Simon

What thickness and where does it go?

MSP

I went from 3×9 to 3×10.

Just changed the rear cassette, derailleur and the one shifter, also changed the granny ring to a 24, which makes far more sense than going for a double to me, so when I change down on the front I don’t have to make a correction change on the back, I don’t like big gaps between gears.

the annoying thing is the different clamp fittings on the shifter, on the old xt shifters I had swapped the clamps over between left and right (with a bit of filing) to get a better position. I just don’t know why they can’t do something better with the clamps to allow a bit more customisation of positioning.

scruff
    Free Member

I just put a Sram 9spd shifter, 9spd cassette & chain, 10spd Zee clutch mech & a 6mm washer on my DH bike. It does work.

Northwind

Simon – Member

What thickness and where does it go?

6mm (less the wee groove for the cable) on mine. It goes on the mech where the cable attaches, under the cable, just extends the “arm” of the mech. Longer bolt to keep it on.

I’ve gone proper 10-speed for my 1×10 trailbike but my other bikes are all 2×9 (or 1×9 for the dh bike), the feel’s different just because of the variation in parts but the shifting’s the same.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone changed from 3×9 to 3×10 just to get a clutched rear mech?’ is closed to new replies.