Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Anyone change their first name?
  • edd

So what is your first name mrblobby, and what do you want to change it to?

aracer
    Free Member

Someone called their kid “Semicolon”?!

Little Bobby Tables?

ads678

I met a guy in Australia called Ray Gay, he was gutted that his son had changed his surname. I think it might have had more to do with the fact that his dad was a caravan park dwelling alcoholic!

grum
    Free Member

That’s a half-arsed effort.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppAs6ZdI[/video]

mrblobby
    Free Member

So what is your first name mrblobby, and what do you want to change it to?

It’s in my profile 🙂

First name is Hefin. I use to intensly dislike it but now I’m indifferent towards it. It’s of welsh origin but I’m english, I’ve lived in England most of my life. I have to spell it to people and listen to it being mispronounced on a daily basis. And the middle name is much worse. People also assume I’m interested in rugby.

Edit: … and I haven’t a bloody clue what I’d change it to. Partly why I’ve never changed it. Probably be a case of opening a random page in a name book and picking the first one I see.

wwaswas

If it bothers you then change it but, tbh, as names go I wouldn’t look twice at yours unless your surname was Hell.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes, it could indeed be a lot worse (though I’ve not told you my middle name!)

theotherjonv

Hefin Andy Hell.

wwaswas

Jefin?

ChrisHeath

You could just change it to the English translation.

Oh…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Much worse 😕

You could just change it to the English translation.

Well the English translation would be June or maybe Summer, but I’d need more than a name change for that!

edd

It’s in my profile

Oh yes, I see!

Moe

The ultimate thoughtless parents are those with the surname of Hunt who call their son ‘Michael’ ….. I used to work with one, he was a complete nutcase and you have to wonder how different things could’ve been if he not had to live with that? Also knew a guy who changed his name from Kevin because of Harry Enfields character!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Ned Rocknroll was something like Abel Smith before, for those who think WHO!? He’s Richard Branson’s nephew (I think) and recently got married to Kate Winslet.

I know someone who hates his Welsh name Ellwyn so everyone knows him as Thatch, he wouldn’t answer to Ellwyn!

funkrodent

Haven’t done so. But if I did it would be to Esselgruntfuttock. Never before has a name managed to incorporate so many of the things that make me who I am 8)

allthegear
    Free Member

Yes, I changed my name three years ago. Was really, really easy.

You just need to create a Statutory Declaration*, take to to a solicitor and get it notarised (witnessed and stamped by a notary, as most solicitors are)

Cost me £5 and that included 5 certified copies.

I did feel a tiny bit daft standing up and reading it out loud in the solicitor’s office, as is required!!

*example here: http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publications/agencies-public-bodies/ips/19049-misc-info-related-2009-10/19049-statutory-declaration?view=Binary

Rachel

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Just wondering what’s involved.

The only legal requirement is you make out a Change of Name Deed (aka Deed Poll), send it to all the people that have your name, and abide by the law by not using your old name in future.

There is absolutely no need to pay any money to anyone for the Change of Name Deed.

The form is available online (I forget where).

I have done this for a few people including my youngest.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

You just need to create a Statutory Declaration*, take to to a solicitor and get it notarised (witnessed and stamped by a notary, as most solicitors are)

Cost me £5 and that included 5 certified copies.

That is incorrect. You do not need to involve solicitors nor any official notary.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Incidentally, I changed the name of a minor, and even then you do not need to involve any third party.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

mrblobby, give me your e-mial addy, I’ll send you what we printed out, with the names removed.

Edit: cancel that, it was made for a minor, be too hard for me to change it back. I’ll find where I found the original, hang on…

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Just go here, they know their stuff:

Free Deed Poll

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Oh, and junior changed his surname.

I’ve come across a few folk that think there’s some limitations on this, but there aren’t (as long as the name change isn’t to deceive.)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks, it all does seem surprisingly straightforward. Wish I’d realised this in my twenties!

Rachel, good name. How did you pick that?

Ellwyn is pretty bad, not heard that one before. Almost on a par with my middle name!

philconsequence
    Free Member

Mods, if you’re reading this you have my full permission to change my username to cockchopsconsequence 😆

i didn’t actually change my name to phil, there’d be no point changing my first name as my surname is silly enough and i couldn’t bring myself to change that

TuckerUK
    Free Member

If you absolutely have to pay someone to make it feel more legal, give the £5 £10 or whatever to a charity. They need it more than the solicitors do, and the validity of any name change is exactly the same.

reedspeed
    Free Member

mrblobby – Member

Hmm according to the citizens advice website you can change your name by just making a public announcement. I wonder if a post on STW is sufficient?

Hear yee,Hear Yee,”i now want to be known,

as,COCKCHOPS !”….

Thats it then,all done…..

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

If I’d have been a girl, my parents were going to call me Una, FFS.

The male name I got is a bit crap. My mum called her horse Ross and I got Ian. Brilliant. Thanks.

Ian the horse.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Haven’t changed it legally, but I always (and much prefer to) use my nickname in everything except official matters (like banking, house-buying etc)

Everyone that matters knows me as Chas.

Real name’s Colin. Always hated it. Handy that they share the same initial so can often get away with just ‘C’ when form-filling etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

i changed my first name a few years back, wont say what it used to be but i’m now ‘Phil’

You are Zaphod Beeblebrox AICMFP.

Hefin doesn’t sound too bad to me, nor does Ellwyn, although if you’re pronouncing the double l the Welsh way that could cause problems.

We fancied giving our kids Welsh names, fortunatley there are plenty that are easy for English people to pronounce and spell, and are well known.

I’ve got a cousin called Angharadd, she’ll be ok if she doens’t leave Wales I reckon. Which is not likely tbh.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Anyone change their first name?’ is closed to new replies.