Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anyone care to suggest a pump and or multi-tool ?
  • scaredypants

after a lost backpack fiasco last weekend I’m in the market for a new pump & multi-tool (and “stuff”)

previously had a topeak mountain mincer pump (with a foldy-out footrest) that seemed OK but didn’t use it that much hence not sure whether it would’ve lasted well (edit: what I really want is reliability/longevity, I don’t expect to use it often & don’t want to find it’s insides perished or owt when I do get a flat)

tool was a crank bros thing

Can I do better than direct replacements? (wondered about a gerber/leatherman of some sort – worth the extra ?)

z1ppy

Nope, get what you had before or if you really want peice of mind maybe a blackburn pump (lifetime warrenty but mine still wore out…bought the Topeak MM, then fixed the BB with a new o-ring, Doh!)…I’ve had a Leatherman in my bag for several years now, never once used it…

toomanybikes
    Free Member

Scott do a good multi tool, it’s got all you need, from a phillips scre driver to a chain splitter, and, it comes with a puncture repair kit as well

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alexpalacefan

Got to disagree wih toomnaybikes. I have always found that tools that do lots of different things do none of them well. Look what bolts, screws etc you have on your bike, and get a tool that does them but as few others as poss.

You’re right about the footrest thingy, so much better pump than those crappy mini pumps.

A

nickjb
    Free Member

I agree with alex. Multi tools don’t really do anything well. I’ve got a fold out set of park allen keys and a small topeak chain tool. They both do what they are supposed to do and do it well. Swiss army knife is handy too.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

soma woody 10
    Leatherman
    2 soma steel core levers
    park repair patches
    pump

Packs up pretty compact

oh and flask of yorkshire tea (gold)

ourmaninthenorth

I’m with the allen keys (Park fold up for me), chain tool, spare tube(s), Park patches, tyre levers and mini pump.

No more needed!

On the pump front, as I do plenty of road riding these days, I use a Lezyne Road Drive. Lezyne are ace and well made.

uplink
    Free Member

Topeak Mountain Morph & a Crank Bros 19

nickc

Lezyne stuff is well made, works well (even the tiniest pump will make short work of a MTB tyre) and pimp.

What more do you need?

Northwind

Topeak Hexus for the tool, Truflo Evolution Plus for the pump (if you don’t mind it being huge… It’s like a portable track pump.)

AndyRT
    Free Member

don’t forget zipties. you never know when they come in handy…

I have a topeak mini track pump, which does a grand job, although a little tall, and an Alien Topeak multi tool that has helped me build and maintain 3 bikes now. Only gripe is spanners are useless

mrsflash
    Free Member

definitely lezyne pump. They do a carbon one and everything!

thefallguy
    Free Member

specialized airtool mtb for me, lasting loads longer than topeak pumps I have owned, is quicker inflating and was only a tenner.

scaredypants

Ta everyone – forgot I’d posted this (& then left for work) *soz*

might try “making” a multi-tool (I’ve a foldy-uppy Park allen set and a torx set & I could amalgamate the popular bits)

Pumps though: FFS, sort yourselves out! – pretty much every brand known to man recommended above. I need consensus, NOW or I’m coming round with 2 big blokes & we’ll stab your shoes & wee in your mum ( 😯 )

(maybe they’re all great these days ??)

speaker2animals

Topeak mountain morph or the Lezyne equivalent.

Multi tool – crank bros personally. Plus maybe a small leatherman type with pliers. Yeah real tools Re better but on the trail repairs are get you home/back to car. Fix it proper at home.

scaredypants

(I’d never heard of Lezyne until today – they new, or am I old ?)

– yeh, ALL these things will be for trail repairs only

keep your eyes peeled for my next thread; I lost all my spare brake pads too. Save it for a quiet day, shall I? 😉

TimothyD
    Free Member

I guess it might sound a bit odd next to the pumps from MTB brands,but using presta valve inner tubes i use a Silca road pump,and it just fits inside my Vango 15 litre rucksack,it doesn’t take long at all to inflate a tyre with a full size road pump,could be worth considering if it fit’s in your bag and you’ve room for it. I guess you’re screwed if your mate’s spare inner tube is scrader(sp) though.

TimothyD
    Free Member

I find the chain tool on my Crank Brothers 17 multitool to be really excellent for nine speed chains,it look’s like it has a spike or spindle which will never break on it,and it’s the tool i go for when I need a chain tool when i’m at home. I highly reccomend it. I rounded off an allen key trying to free a stuck pedal which is still stuck,but appart from that i’ve no complaints at all,and they sent me a replacement allen key free of charge,so great customer service too.

Cheers
    Tim

zaskar
    Free Member

Been using Alien tool on the road bike-it doesn’t have spanners and I don’t have bolts. Adjustable would be handle for touring bikes with mudguards and rear racks etc.

Mini pump or CO2 -which blew up in a friend’s face so be careful.

On the mtb-separate chain tool from Park and a folding Allen key set.
    Mini and mid size pumps from Topeak.

I know some folks who take HT2 tool.

TimothyD
    Free Member

I didn’t just quote myself there,i thought i needed to edit and then realised i didn’t. In case anyone was wondering.

Time to go to bed.

scaredypants

I think what I lost was a CB-17 tool and it did seem well made (never used the chain splitter but I’d definitely want to carry one, and a spoke key)

I do have an old cooltool on the roadbike – that has an adjustable spanner though (again) I’ve never used it

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anyone care to suggest a pump and or multi-tool ?’ is closed to new replies.