Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone care to recommend a chain lube for….
  • bristolbiker
    Free Member

…..road riding, all weather – but only needs to last a week or so between degreasing/relube.

Ideally a ‘wet’ lube as well – used to use FinishLine Wet, and was reasonably happy with that. On a whim, changed to the Finish Line Ceramic Wax lube when the last bottle of Wet ran out and am not getting on with it at all, so wondered if there are any others you happy Friday folk would recommend?

DezB
    Free Member

Still looking myself!
    Best so far has been Finish Line Pro-Road
    But it gets pretty messy come clean time.
    Trying Pace Wet next as the Dry was very good on the mtb.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Putoline chain wax should be good on the road, in the summer I get away with one aplication between seriously muddy rides on the MTB and it stays clean the whole time.

£25 a tin though, although you should never need to buy it twice! Only downside is it stkinks and stains everything so you’ll have to do it oustide on a camping stove.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    racing_ralph
    Free Member

squirt is ace

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Finish line ceramic, *not* the wax version.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Yeah, that Finish Line Pro-Road looks like a good compromise. Pace Wet seems to get good reviews as well….

neninja
    Free Member

For a very clean and smooth running chain I’ve found Progold Prolink to be the best by far.

The only lubes I’ve found that come close are some of the Rock’n’Roll offerings

Bimbler
    Free Member

Big fan of Purple extreme.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 the Rock n Roll lubes

scottalej
    Free Member

Muc Off wet lube. Just started using it recently but seems much better that any of the many others I’ve tried. It actually stays on the chain after a couple of puddles unlike Finish Line. Smells lovely too!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Muc Off wet lube. Just started using it recently but seems much better that any of the many others I’ve tried. It actually stays on the chain after a couple of puddles unlike Finish Line. Smells lovely too!

It is fantastic for muddy mtb rides, I personally wouldn’t use it on a road bike, too thick and sticky.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

If you don’t mind a bit of a slow and messy application process, Chain-L (found here). It’s thick and takes a while to soak into the links, so that’s best done off the bike. It’s also worth taking some time to wipe the exterior of the chain once the Chain-L has set. The result, however, is a silent chain and an excellent, weather resistant, high-mileage lube. It also cleans off easily with white spirits when it comes to relube the chain.

SimonT
    Free Member

Hopelessly unfashonable but for road I use heavy gear or hypoid oil. Apply it very sparingly, wipe off as much as poss with a rag, the chain should be barely wet, that way it doesn’t collect much dirt. Smooth quiet running, long chain and cassette life. I’ve come to this through years of commuting touring and audax & it works for me.
    And when you do degrease it comes off very easily – with paraffin anyway.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

That’s the thing – it only does 2/300 miles of relatively ‘easy’ road miles before the whole drivetrain is degreased and relubed – I’m not looking for something that is going to last forever or be perfectly rain/dust resistant, I actually want it to be relatively easy to remove and re-apply (and quickly). Hence a thinner/wet lube is better for me than a sticky/wax lube.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Hence a thinner/wet lube is better for me than a sticky/wax lube.

In that case, ProLink ProGold. You don’t even (always) need to clean the chain to reapply; so if you’ve been out in the rain, just dry the chain off and apply more lube. Leave it a few hours, or over night is best, then quickly wipe any excess. It’s the quickest and easiest lube I’ve ever used (and still do).

verses

Not fashionable, but I stick to 3-in-1 oil on my commuter – I save the posh stuff for my MTBs.

It’s cheap, survives all but the heaviest downpours and degreases fairly easily.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I’d also recommend Pedros Road Rage, that is a very thin clean lube and it works pretty well too, although I still prefer Finish Line Ceramic Wet.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

‘Cause it’s Friday and I’m slightly bored, think I’ll order a small bottle of Pace Wet, Finish Line Ceramic Wet and A.N. Other (yet to be determined based on the above and any further comments before I push the buy button) and compare and contrast over time. Crazy, me…. 🙄

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone care to recommend a chain lube for….’ is closed to new replies.