Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone built their own steel frame ?
  • flap_jack
    Free Member

My BiL is a fabricator and has built some custom motorbike frames, including some in 531. He wants to build me a bicycle frame.

Anyone done their own ?

Where did you get the tubes ? Just to complicate matters I’d like a 650b Randonneur which isn’t a usual UK tubeset.

I can see this being quite a challenge to get the tubes. What are the other major hurdles ?

Thanks

qwerty
    Free Member

If your localish pop along to http://www.bespoked.cc/ and ask away.

A guy posted his homemade fat bike on here, saw it as SSUK Cannock – its fantastic.

Get familiar with http://www.bikecad.ca/

tmb467
    Free Member

Starling cycles in Bristol build me a lovely one – search on my profile name for a look at the pics

He’s at Bespoked as well – plus Facebook and Internet (starling cycles)

thepodge
    Free Member

Started but never finished

Ceeway

Sorting a jig

qwerty
    Free Member

Send him on a http://www.thebicycleacademy.org/courses/ & he might build you an even better one 😉

flap_jack
    Free Member

Thanks for these. I can see myself whiling away happy hours on bikecad. Jigging looks a really interesting problem.

I wouldn’t dare suggest a course to him. I won’t say what he’s done in the motorbike world as that would betray anonymity but he’s well regarded.

@thepodge what was the limiting factor ?

coppice
    Free Member

I considered cutting up an existing frame just for parts, either from the tip or an XL 45650b, I know I wont get around to it though so would rather just buy a Cotic and spend my free time riding. Maybe a winter project in a few years.

Sounds like your planning to do a proper job though

bonesetter
    Free Member

thepodge
    Free Member

flap_jack – @thepodge what was the limiting factor ?

My limiting factor was time and a never ending list of changes meant I could never settle on a final design.

The jig limiting factor was the chainstays & BB joint, the front end was fairly easy but the rear caused all kinds of problems

shermer75
    Free Member

It doesn’t look like they make 531 anymore, as 631 is also suitable for brazing and TIG welding but 10% stronger. Lots of good info here, plus contact details so you can ask them about who they sell their tubing through:

http://www.reynoldstechnology.biz/

shaggy

I’ve done a few. Tubes and components you can get from Ceeway or The Bicycle Academy.

Making a jig is a bit of a pain and the more you get in to it the more you can get buried in the details. I do love the process of building the frames though. Like Podge, I often get held up when I keep changing my own requirements.

I’m just waiting for the paint to dry on my new CX/tour/All road/whatever bike.

flap_jack
    Free Member

@shaggy what did you use ?

I’ve got some (3) old school 531c bikes whose characteristics I love.

I’ve had 531, 531st and 725 and not liked the characteristics so much (didn’t “plane”). Reynolds still make standard 531 for Pashley…

I wonder what’s closest to 531c ? Any ideas ?

flap_jack
    Free Member

Apologies, I just found this

Previous thread…

😳

GregMay
    Free Member

Careful or bartyp may ask him to make one 😉

mick_r

With previous fabrication experience he could probably do a one-off without a jig. I presume he’ll almost certainly have a flat-ish surface and vee blocks?

Ceeway for small quantities of tubes and fittings from one source.

“Tubesets” don’t really exist for a particular application. Playing with tube diameter and thickness alters stiffness and strength (pick tubes to match the frames you already like). Material (steel alloy type 531, 853, Zona, Spirit etc) dictates strength for a given size of tube or how thin the tube walls can be.

Then design your frame (shape, contact points etc) and rummage through the tube lists to find lengths that suit.

bencooper
    Free Member

Jigs make it faster, but they’re not necessary – a flat surface and some V-blocks will do you well, and use a scrap (but still straight) rear wheel to get the back end straight.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Good forum on mtbr for frame building. A lot of the US builders are on it and are reasonably helpful.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone built their own steel frame ?’ is closed to new replies.