Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Anyone bought one of those sub £50 tablets?
  • ibnchris

My Dad is going into hospital for an op in a couple of weeks time and thought he might like a tablet to read the news, surf the web and maybe even skype etc…

Saw a few cheapo 9 inch tablets on eBay and amazon for around £50 and wondered if anyone on here has had any experience of them? Anyone?

Jamie
    Free Member

Hudl 1 for £80?

£10 off voucher for new customers is TDX-HTRW would make it….well…£70.

jwh
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a few of the arnova 10b g3 tablets from ebay ( think they were about £48)

Not a bad tablet – nice wide screen, not bad resolution.
    The colours are bit washed out and i’m not sure i would want to read on it for very long.
    Seems quick enough though.

alanl
    Free Member

Got one 6 weeks or so ago for £38 inc. post:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/on-site-viewer-for-pdfs

Pros – cheap, easy to use. Does exactly what I want, connects to local wifi easily, browsers and emails just work, full screen vidoes etc. Some pretty good apps that are really useful (offline maps etc)

Cons: Infested with ads when new. These come when connected to the net. So, you need to ‘root’ it, then run something like ‘Root app delete’ or other program to get rid of the apps causing this (Baidu browser, DU battery saver are my suspects).
    I still get an occasional small window pop-up add for ‘droids’ in a facebook style window. I cant find how this keeps appearing.
    Printing is not straight out of the box, you need an app, and possibly drivers for the USB to do it.
    ‘Demo’ in large red letters has come on the screen recently.This involves another patch by downloading a file, running it to get rid of it. A right pain, as it is hard to fnd this file. Once ran, it works fine again.

So, the cheaper they are, the more compromised the OS/ROM is I’ve found. I’d reckon anything below £80 would be similar.
    If you have the time/patience to sort the software out beforehand, then they are fine.
    If you are not at all tech savvy (i’m not particularly clued up, but can use google!), then the real cheapies may not be for you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Anyone bought one of those sub £50 tablets?’ is closed to new replies.