Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone bought one of the new sony ereaders?
  • hitman
    Free Member

Like the look of the new touch but probably just about stretch to pocket one.
    Anyone tried or bought one??

Hairychested
    Free Member

I tried it the other day and found it easier to use than the Mk1 that my Wife has. It is not for me though as it doesn't smell like a book should.

DrJ

Saw a guy on the train spending half an hour trying to reboot his. While I read my paperback.

hitman
    Free Member

😀 at DJ

retro83
    Free Member

Are those the £200 jobbies that look like a big nintendo DS?

woffle
    Free Member

I like the idea but ebooks are so stupidly expensive I can't see the point – I resent paying not far off the cost of the paperback for the digital version – seems like a rip-off IMO. The Kindle prices are $9.99 for bestsellers and RRP is north of $25!

Maybe if they were priced more competively – ie. under a fiver it'd seem like a better idea…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It is not for me though as it doesn't smell like a book should.

+1. There's something very comforting about a real book that something so crude as a mechanical/electric gizmo simply cannot replace.

Flaperon

I have the older PRS-505, but would never consider one with a touch screen. The extra layer makes things all murky, and you really notice fingerprints on the screen. The PRS-505 should now be pretty cheap on eBay, and is the one I recommend:

Book prices:

Thanks to the technophobic, moronic, incompetent buffoons at Waterstones who are singlehandedly crippling the UK industry (and then complaining about it), there is no easy way to buy cheap books in the UK. There is, however, a workable solution.

Buy from the American store. You'll need a US credit card or someone who's willing to buy the gift vouchers. The books are cheaper than most UK paperbacks, which is the whole point of eBooks. New Dan Brown is $9.99, for example, cheaper than Asda.

Worth having a look at http://ebookstore.sony.com to see if you think it's worthwhile. I reckon I've made back the cost of the device in a year (bought it in the US at $2/£) and the benefit of not carting loads of books around is worth it alone.

bigdawg
    Free Member

Thanks to the technophobic, moronic, incompetent buffoons at Waterstones who are singlehandedly crippling the UK industry (and then complaining about it), there is no easy way to buy cheap books in the UK. There is, however, a workable solution

its called amazon – if youre into dan brown thats a fiver, wait a couple of weeks and all new titles can be had for less than that…

hitman
    Free Member

didnt want to go with the sony 505 as I think I'm right in saying you can't have access to google books – its this that attracts me to the concept of an e-reader

Flaperon

hitman: PRS-500 and PRS-505 are vastly different readers despite the similar model numbers.

505 is a fantastic evolution of the 500 with greatly improved ergonomics, screen, and software.

The limitation of Google Books is the requirement for ePub support, which the 500 doesn't have. The 505, however, doesn't have a problem with this.

hitman
    Free Member

flaperon
    cheers for that as didnt realise that was the case
    I really want access to google books for some of the original economics texts – sad I know 🙂

CountZero

I use ereader and stanza on my phone, there's loads of cheap or free titles, but there's an irritating issue with some authors having stupid regional copyright, which means a US credit card. All of Kathy Reichs books are unavailable to me, and I bought Neil Stephenson's Snowcrash, but I couldn't buy the next book, Diamond Age. WTF! I can buy a US version of a British author's book, but I can't buy the ebook. That is just too stupid for words. Before anyone asks why I'd want an American copy of an English book, it's because the Americans get a hardcover version, while we get saddled with a crappy large-format softcover. Although I'v got to wait 'til next April for the hardback of a book being published here next month. What a pain…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone bought one of the new sony ereaders?’ is closed to new replies.