Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Anyone bought hand built wheels of dave hinde?
  • jonnyrockymountain

As title
    good quality build?
    Customer service?

Stoner
    Free Member

I'll lube up the octopus, someone go and fetch the polaroid.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member
    rOcKeTdOg

*buys the popcorn, minstrells and xl coke*

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Ah – entertainment. 🙂

scaredypants

dave who ?

Coyote
    Free Member

Kettle on. Pass the minstrels Rocketdog.

earl_brutus

two words : Merlin Cycles

crispybacon
    Free Member

pulls up the sofa & gets ready for the big show ….. 😆

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Do i need my steel hat for this one?

Sandwich

When a novice I bought some XT hub, mavic rimmed jobbies from him, They are still going strong a part of a C-16R hard tail. N.B. This was in the mid-90's.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Late 80s and early 90s he was thee man to get wheels built – sadly his rep is less than stella these days

Edric64
    Free Member

Stella or stellar? or is he just a wife beater these days?

jonnyrockymountain

Looks like I will be going elsewere?
    Anyone recommend anywere?

rOcKeTdOg

*passes the minstrels* shuffles to get comfy, peanuts anyone?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Where are you based?

crikey
    Free Member

I have, many moons ago….
    A pair of 28 hole Dura-Ace hubs laced to Mavic rims using X-Ray spokes, because I asked for some light racing wheels.
    The rear was so flexible it wore the paint off my chainstays in one ride, then broke a spoke after 3 rides.
    Worst hand built wheels I've ever had.

Crag
    Free Member

Heed the advice from Brutus.

cynic-al
    Free Member

lightweight wheels crikey? What were you thinking?

BigCol
    Free Member

DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER!

nuke

Back years ago, David Hinde was one of the main places to buy wheels via mail order…still got a set of their wheels, Mavic 231 rims on Mavic hubs. I'd probably pick Merlin these days though.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

If Newcastle-Under-Lyme is close enough,try Goldtec/BETD. Mike is a top notch wheel builder.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yup got a set of Mavic 321's on Deore hubs, now with their 2nd owner, great wheels.

Had three other sets myself, my mate has one and another has had 1.5 sets after smashing one to pieces in a big crash.

No problems with build or service at all

crikey
    Free Member

I speak from experience young cynic-hopper….

johnners
    Free Member

I bought a pair once, many years ago. He initialy only sent one of them, but did come up with the other one when pressed (repeatedly).

They weren't so much built as laced. They were so slack it's quite conceivable that their dispatch guy picked them up by mistake before they were ready.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

I had an excellent front wheel from Dave Hinde; mavic 217 on a Hope lightweight front hub, the one with the titanium tube body with anodised alloy flanges. That was in 1996 tho'

edhornby

there's a story that a purchaser of a dura ace rear mech was sent an ultegra with the words dura ace written in felt tip pen on the top…..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Is it too early for a beer? Got one of this ready to be opened….

Northwind

Never had their wheels but since they proved incapable of posting items which they claimed they had in stock, and left me completely in the lurch with the most awful communication I've had from anyone, I wouldn't trust them to sell me a factory wheelset never mine make me a custom one.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

They are the worst shop in the country.

They couldn't supply stuff I'd paid for (£220 worth) and wouldn't refund me. Shop bloke was RUDE AND ABUSIVE and put the phone down on me twice. Luckily I'd paid by credit card. One phone call and a letter to Goldfish and I was refunded

if they were the only bike shop in the world, I'd give up and walk. Use ANYBODY else. Please.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Anyone bought hand built wheels of dave hinde?’ is closed to new replies.