Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Anyone bought any jokley's recently?
  • lerk
    Free Member

Before you start the flaming,I do own a couple of pairs of real oakleys, but I won’t wear them on the bike…

I’m after a new pair of jawbones and radars but my last seller has stopped stocking them… Anyone know of a tested supplier?

bikeneil
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter how many genuine pairs you own. Knowingly buying counter fit goods is still illegal.

Jamie
    Free Member

CFH will be along shortly.

thepurist

I crashed in a pair and the lens gashed my eyelid… So now I use an old pair of Oakley frames with replacement lenses from Fuse/Revant optics

nealglover
    Free Member

Before you start the flaming,I do own a couple of pairs of real oakleys, but I won’t wear them on the bike…

I’ve previously bought a couple of bikes from shops, but now I just steal them as I reckon I’ve done my bit already 😉

captain-slow
    Free Member

leaving aside morality just for a moment I have a “friend” who bought some cheap chinese knock offs

complete waste of money

best option seems to be outlet stores where my son picked up a pair of racing jackets for £110 last month

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

All the morality crew are over in the cube frame thread, they’ll be here soon though….

thatscold
    Free Member

Funny that, the pair that my ‘friend’ got we’re pretty decent.

My ‘friend’ would be interested in getting another pair, if anyone has a link?

Lummox

i also would like the ‘link’ as Oakley service has left a lot to be desired recently and i’m quite happy to pay for a cheap frame to accept my expensive genuine lenses that are now redundant.

Jamie
    Free Member

As an aside, I recently bought some legit Flak Jackets, and really was not impressed for the £60 I paid, RRP being £120ish. Sent them back in the end.

….this is not condoning hooky pairs of course.

Although, if UV protection is all you’re concerned about:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/dx-sunglasses-uv400-testing-results

botanybay
    Free Member

Oakleys look tragic anyway, unless it’s 1985 and youre 18, with a pair of Frogskins on.

soobalias
    Free Member

cant find anyone to reglaze them with my prescription so im out.

kid in vision express was visibly excited when i didnt walk away at the quote of £463 for straight jackets with single vision lenses.
    think he was more gutted than me when their online catalogue sniggered at my prescription.

cdoc
    Free Member

Pretty much what Botanybay said..

donks
    Free Member

It has nothing to do with the op’s question but I like to rant about Oakley:
    I bought some 200 quid glasses from them and a hinge on the frame came apart…. Conveniently just outside the warranty period. Just came apart because of a bad design. Oakley sent me a replacement frame but at full cost. The replacement frame fell apart in just the same way just after a year and they said they would not give me another frame under warranty and wanted to charge me full cost again.
    Basically their poor design of just this particular frame was the cause of the failure but they refuse to offer any form of replacement as a gesture of good will. So I’ll not buy oakleys anymore.

wrecker
    Free Member

Carshiro 077

grum
    Free Member

I’ve previously bought a couple of bikes from shops, but now I just steal them as I reckon I’ve done my bit already

Whereas you just steal irrelevant metaphors from old threads. 🙄

cookeaa

cant find anyone to reglaze them with my prescription so im out.

kid in vision express was visibly excited when i didnt walk away at the quote of £463 for straight jackets with single vision lenses.
    think he was more gutted than me when their online catalogue sniggered at my prescription.

How wacky is your prescription? If Oakley can’t do you some lenses I’d be surprised if any other optical labs could…

A mate at work just got another pair of faukley jawbones, his second, and I’ve had two pairs too, changing the nose piece/clip inserts was much more of a struggle on this most recent pair, we came to the conclusion that the tooling must be getting a bit shagged out now, they’ve probably far exceeded it’s useful life… Might leave them be for a while now…

I’ve just had ciliary blue reglaze a pair of bolle sliders with cheap prescription lenses. They’re not bad, comfy, light, cheap yet ‘legit’ frames to keep the branding morality crew happy think I will get a second pair with tint for sunnier road rides too

DT78
    Free Member

My “friend” might have a pair of genuine and fake jawbones that he uses with the genuine lens depending on what colour matches his outfit the best…. Other than feeling a bit plasticy in the hand my “friend” says they work exactly the same…

He also has a pair of unused radars which he bought at the same time but preferred the jawbones. Red/white. Pm me if you are interested….

Jamie
    Free Member

Pm me if you are interested….

PM your friend, surely?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I do own a couple of pairs of real oakleys, but I won’t wear them on the bike…

So why did you buy them then? 😕

Superficial
    Free Member

I had a pair of the fake Jawbones from eBay and I’ve now got some ‘real’ ones (well, racing jackets). I bought them to see if I liked riding in glasses (having never used them before), if the jawbone shape suited my face and was comfortable on rides. Ethics of counterfeit goods aside, the frames are great and I learnt what I wanted to know before splurging on expensive glasses. There are enough differences between the real ones and the fakes to see that they haven’t come out of the same factory, but unless I had them side-by-side I would really struggle to tell if a pair was genuine. The real ones have stickier rubber so might stay on your face better but I never had a problem with either of them.

The fake lenses do seem cheap and nasty, though. They’re like the ones you get in very cheap sunglasses at the pound shop. I.e. they work fine but everything is a bit murkier than it ought to be and direct sun makes everything go hazy. Whether they protect against UV I don’t know, but lets assume they’re OK as per the link above. The genuine lenses don’t fit exactly in the fake frames, but they would do if you were brave enough to take a file to them and shave a mm ish off one edge

If you believe that in Oakleys you’re really paying for the superior optics, then get some fake frames (£10 from ebay) and buy some proper oakley lenses (around £35-80 depending on tint). Of course, we all really know that a large chunk of what you’re paying for is the brand, the association with sports stars and the feel-good factor of owning something well-designed, well-engineered, expensive and nice. So you should probably buy the real ones and feel good about it.

If you just want some cheap riding glasses that perform well in sunlight (and the above option is too expensive) then you’re probably better off finding some other brand because the Fauxkley lenses are a bit rubbish.

And yes, why would you buy sports glasses for use off the bike? Socially, I’m not sure they work…

lerk
    Free Member

Ok, I did ask not to flame me about the legality/morality of the fakelys…
    I don’t work in IT, nor do I drive an Audi (although I do ride a five!), I can’t justify hundreds of pounds on glasses to get scratched to buggery with dust and grit, or possibly smashed in a fall. The jawbones fit my face perfectly and prevent dry eye contact lens issues. For winter use is use bolle contour safety glasses, but as they have a gap around them they are only any good for slow speeds.

In answer to the question about why I bought Oakley if I won’t wear them on the bike, that would be because I also have eyes and there is also sunlight when I’m not riding the bike…! May not be the in fashion thing, but it don’t like skinny jeans worn around my knees either so there!

discoduck
    Free Member

I’ve got some fake Jawbones, there’s no difference between the two, they have all the markings and serial number etc, I recently scratched the lense on the yellow ones I had and and they went cloudy in my line of vision, I took them off and stuffed them in my pocket as it was pishing down, any way the grit from Dalby buggered them up.

I tried snapping the lense and it kinked it didn’t just snap, I stamped on it and it didn’t break then I got my air rifle out and shot the other lense and it didn’t break so I’m confident that my illegal activity won’t kill me, I’ve just come back from a ride in the Peaks and I did 85MPH on the motorway and I didn’t get arrested.

There are people fiddling with a lot worse than a pair of Fake Oakleys and getting away with it so each to their own.

Jason
    Free Member

I have had two pairs of fake Jawbones. The first pair where a bit rubbish and the ‘O’s fell out after a month or two, and then one of the nose piece clips broke. I did buy a 2nd set from a different company which have been much better, I only bought them as a set of glasses to take on holiday and not worry about leaving them on a sunbed. I also have a genuine set of Jawbones, and they are slightly better than the fake set although the colouring on the frames has rubbed of where it rubs on helmet straps, seems to be a common problem with all plastic Oakley frames. Lense quality on the fake ones has been okay, and the reflective coating on the lense has been at least as good as Oakley.

mattbee

I have a pair of fake Crosslinkk that I use for work with Ciliaryblue lenses in them. They get beaten about and scratched to buggery, hence just wanting cheap frames that I won’t cry over breaking. They have lasted a year so far, although they are on their 3rd set of lenses (2 part epoxy paint is a sod to get off).
    I didn’t buy them because they were Joakleys though, more because the frames cost £2.99 form the bay.

lerk
    Free Member

You couldn’t find a link to the second company you used could you Jason??

cookeaa

@ Mattbee – Got a link for the Crosslinks?

nemesis
    Free Member

Just search on ebay for ‘cycling sunglasses’ and sort on price.

Anyway, I’ve tried both real and fake and must say that the fakes actually work fine IME. That said, my real ones are typically more robust (the jawbones nosepieces break) and the lenses have more options so you can get exactly what you want. That said, riding in the fakes is fine and I’ve tried bending/breaking a spare lense and it did exactly what genuine ones do – eg bend rather than shatter.

Jason
    Free Member

You couldn’t find a link to the second company you used could you Jason??

Just checked and I bought them from Dealextreme, unfortunately they don’t list them anymore. Cost a bargain $18.50 with 3 sets of lenses and a case, which I had bought some more now.

brakes
    Free Member

I have 3 sets on order from DX – not copies but very similar… I’ll let you know what they’re like.
    I’ve had the equivalents of jawbones and split jackets for a couple of years but they broke eventually (hinge on one and arm on another) – but I haven’t taken very good care of them.

damitamit
    Free Member

brakes, do you still have a link to the Split Jackets from dx?

brakes
    Free Member

they seem to have stopped doing them now, and the jawbones.
    the ones I’ve ordered look more like fast jackets/ radar.
    they were v. cheap ($8) so I’m not expecting much.

cookeaa

Just search on ebay for ‘cycling sunglasses’ and sort on price.

Tried that, “Sports sunglassas” and various other searches…

The crosslink isn’t actually part of Oakleys sporting line, it falls under their “Active” prescription eyewear product line, hence the Chinese don’t seem to be flogging any cheap copies that I can find…

On Aliexpress I was able to turn up a few that looked like crosslinks, some with some without an ‘O’, those with logo’s were a bit too pricey TBH, I’m not paying £20 for a pretend pair FFS!

I think the trouble is that there are Soooo many pukka Oakley models now its actually getting hard to tell which ones are copies and which are completely made up design with a logo stuck on, the brand has somewhat devalued itself IMO…

There’s a lot of Racing jacket and Jawbone style frames floating about, its hard to sift through the Tatty tat, and find the better quality tat now, maybe its better to just leave those ones well alone…

The thing is I don’t really need any more glasses (Fakes, lookalikes or otherwise) but its actually quite fun shopping about for different frames that I might try, or just to have as spares… Its all so bloody cheap…

TheFlyingOx

My buddy at work tends to spend a lot of his cash on aliexpress.com

To be fair, some of the stuff is pure tat, but he got 4 pairs of “Oakley” Breadboxes for £32 and they were absolutely identical to the real thing. Not sure on the UV protection of the lenses, mind, but other than that…

damitamit
    Free Member

I’ve had (real) Split Jackets for a few years with prescription lenses. Fancy a frame colour change to put the lenses into. As Oakley discontinued the Split Jacket, looking for a pair of jokelys. Anyone seen any Split Jacket copies on ebay?

brakes
    Free Member
    brakes
    Free Member

my new glasses have just arrived from DX – took a month to get here which isn’t great.
    the quality of them is ok – they feel like they’re made of low quality plastic and the hinges are a bit average. but they were only £20 for the three pairs and one set came with 5 different lenses which is pretty cool.
    I’ll see how they last but I don’t think I’ll be buying from there again. might give aliexpress a go next time.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Living in Thailand, Jokelys are very jokey. Absolutely rubbish. However, the same as you, I don’t want to wear my real ones riding.

I’m fed up with the glasses breaking so frequently. I’m going to try some proper riding specs (but cheapy ones) from CRC or similar next.

Lummox

My thread on lens test

Ebay seller fanliny

Took about 2 weeks ish

damitamit
    Free Member

I ended up buying some fakley Split jackets from Aliexpress. Took a month to come, but turned up eventually. Not bad, have 3 lenses, a big case and a Lance Armstrong cardboard box 🙂

I’ve put my Oakley prescription lenses from my real Split jackets in them and they fit, but one side is a bit loose. Works fine on the bike. The new frame actually fits better as I guess the old frame has stretched over the keys and now has a tendency to slip off when i look down.

Not bad for 15 quid or whateva. Will do me until I can order some new (real) Racing Jackets with prescription transitions 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Anyone bought any jokley's recently?’ is closed to new replies.