Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone bodged a (permanent) UST tyre repair?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

I've put a 5mm tear in the top of my High Roller LUST and am currently using it with an inner tube and energy gel wrapper as a boot.

I see there's a few UST repair kits on the market but most seem aimed at smaller holes.

Wondered if anybody's had any luck sticking a permanent boot on the inside of a damaged tyre?

doug_basqueMTB.com

If it's in the top, i.e. the tread then yes with that sized hole with the normal tubeless puncture repair thing and a bit of gunk. My rip was about 5mm.

On the sidewall I've had no luck at all although I've heard that others on here have managed to fix them. I binned my LUST's after running them with tubes for a while. Replaced with 2.5 SuperTacky high roller UST's and they weigh exactly the same as the LUST's + Tubes I was running!

chakaping
    Free Member

Are they the dual ply ones Doug?

I was asking about soft compound UST tyres here, but if they're the same weight as the non-UST dual ply HRs on my DH bike then they may be a bit too lardy.

doug_basqueMTB.com

They are the dual ply ones yes. They weight 1222g's but I weighted the 2.35 LUSTS + Tubes (I run DH tubes) and they weighed 1225g's!

They are undoubtably heavy and draggy. I'm running front and back supertacky's at the moment but that's just because I'm waiting for the right rear tyre to arrive. I've got non-UST dual ply's on my DH bike, sitting outside, give me 2 sec's.

doug_basqueMTB.com

The non-UST dual ply supertacky HR's 2.5 are 1076g's (very worn so maybe a bit more new!) and with a DH tube they're 1460g's. So the UST's save about 200g's on non-ust + DH tube!

peachos
    Free Member

cut up an old tyre and superglue it inside.

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers Doug.

Peachos – Did you try that yourself? It's just the sort of bodge I had in mind tbh.

ssboggy

I've repaired a non UST Racing Ralph with a tear in the sidewall using the superglue method like peachos says. Its been ok for the last 6 months

peachos
    Free Member

yep i had a 7mm tear right near the bead. it was try this or bin it. works fine!!

TrevorB
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone bodged a (permanent) UST tyre repair?’ is closed to new replies.