Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone biked from Samoens, Alp Riding Holiday possibility
  • Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Anyone ridden that area ?, as brother in law owns a flat there, so would be rude not to use it. Just wondering if I need a guide or its waymarked and cost for up lifts etc. We have costed the tunnel in September and looks favourable and a few tanks of fuel, so all seems good as long as the area is suitable for biking etc.

Olly
    Free Member

Yarp, we spent a week over there as an alternative to the DH motorways in the other valleys (apprently, ive never been anywhere else in france)

Twas good. Plenty of signed singletrack from the main lifts, we also did a lift, then descend into the next valley, then re-lift to the highest peak in the area, then descended back along the ridge. Rode in snow at the top, sweated like pigs at the bottom 🙂

Also found the dodgeyst lift in the world at the top of one of the valleys. Was like garden furniture on a string. Track was a kind of “locals only” downhill track which was steep and awesome.
    Also, if you have vehicles and can sort an uplift, there is some awesome stuff on the opposite side of the valley from the lifts.

Rude not to!
    Do facebook album links work?

https://www.facebook.com/olly.rob/media_set?set=a.624931024157.84269.309600433&type=3

Grump
    Free Member

Yup, it’s fairly good, not the best riding in Haute Savoie but plenty of fun for a week for sure!
    It’s part of the “Grand Massif” area and mtb is vtt in French, so some googling with those words should get you plenty of info….
    The Coupe du France national enduro series goes there most years, and the world series is there mid July this year which should give you an idea of the quality of the trails.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Cool stuff guys. We are not ‘mad’ downhillers and looking at you tube shows big wooden jumps etc and 20 ft landing zones, which is a bit over us tbh, so hope there is plenty of swoopy , reasonably gnarly trails as opposed to the jumpy stuff. Bing the place we are staying at is free, then looks like a good week away so far.

kongman28
    Free Member

I’ve ridden there on two separate holidays. It’s an amazing valley. The EWS is making a stop there in July so they must think it worthy. There’s amazing run all the way from the top of the Joux Plane side all the way to town which is worth the climb. Have a search in Strava there’s loads to find.

chris36860
    Free Member

We have been going to 3 years now and are off again in 3 weeks. Fantastic riding, fantastic town. To get the best from it, grab a guide. Miles and miles of single track with some light DH stuff thrown in for good measure. We go with Bike Alp. Check the website for pics!!

John_Key
    Free Member

Great photos @Olly! Looks lovely there and I’ll be heading there in early August

jambalaya
    Free Member

I think the lift is shut in September. It’s a fairly short drive to Les Gets if that is the case. There is a company called Bike Alp who run holidays there, get in touch with them. I’ve inky ridden the descent down for Lac Joix Paln which is excellent with stunning views of among Blanc however it’s on the side with no lift. If you do go get a VTT map from the tourist office as I think there are lots of trails inc those which need an up,oft or for you to ride up

Grump
    Free Member

Ah, lifts are indeed closed in September.
    Fortunately, quite a few bits of the Portes du Soleil, Chamonix, Saleve will all have open lifts to access natural trails at that time, and there’s quite a bit you can do around Samoens by pedalling up roads to ride down some nice natural stuff.
    Here’s some mostly not bike park pictures and words if it help wet the appetite….
    http://www.chamonixbikeblog.com/2013/proper-planning-prevents-long-climbs-grand-massif/ (with more on the blog if you click the samoens tag)
    And a bigger ride if you’re looking for ideas:
    http://paulwestwatson.blogspot.fr/2012/08/brevent-samoensmtb.html

Stu_N

Yes, not as developed as Portes du Soleil for MTB but IMO better for it. Some substantial lift-assist missions possible. If you’re willing to explore the VTT map from the Tourist Office shows most of the good stuff – pair that with an IGN and you’re off. Lifts are on the S side of the valley and does get pretty sketchy if it’s wet – heavy clay soil and northerly aspect so takes ages to dry out. Best trails are on the N but plenty of good riding and as others have said you’re 30 mins by car to Les Gets. Some of the local companies will shuttle you over too (try GoMassif but there are plenty).

Olly – That’ll be the Vagnys Lift out of Sixt. Shonkiest chair in the western world. Every time I’ve been on it, it’s stopped and I’ve been amazed when it’s restarted…

Some more stuff here too:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/grand-massif-lift-pass

Stu_N

BUMP – any links to detailed maps for the EWS Enduro stuff? Found a sketch map for day 1 that I think I can follow but nothing for day 2. Was it all on the Samoans 1600 side or did they use some of the Joux Plane side too?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone biked from Samoens, Alp Riding Holiday possibility’ is closed to new replies.