• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by JAG.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone been to Yllas, Finland? Skiing content
  • lunge

Debating a trip to the far north to ski with my wife this year. Yllas is one of the options, I wondered if anyone had been?

nedrapier

I haven’t. I know less about it than you. But, as this is STW, I’ve come on to tell you that I’d go to Rikgransen in Sweden instead.

Higher, further north, more temperate, better snow (?). But mainly because it was in all the snowboard flicks that were around when I started.

natrix
    Free Member

I haven’t been to Yllas but I have been to Levi about 50km away. Levi was just what we wanted, a good mix of downhill and xc skiing with a snowmobile trip thrown in for good measure. Each hotel room had its own sauna which was an added bonus as was the good quality vegetarian food.

It might be a bit limiting if all you wanted was downhill skiing though….

Pigface
    Free Member

Very very cold -17 at the moment

HansRey

Finland is a good place to visit, if you’re keen to do a mix of snow activities.
    – reindeer sleds
    – husky sleds
    – snowmobile
    – ice karting
    – snow shoeing
    – XC skiing

But, if you’re looking to spend most of the time DH skiing or snowboarding, I’d look elsewhere. Are in Sweden gets good reviews, if you’re keen on going north.

But, if you want to ride big jumps and park sections, Finnish resorts are pretty good. The resorts are small, so park/ jump sections add good variety and are well built.

JAG

OK – I have been to Yllas several times.

If you’re a good DH skier or Boarder you won’t find anything challenging or long enough. It’s more of a hill than a mountain at Yllas.

However it is a GREAT place – lot’s of Northern Lights action, snowmobiling is great fun, Karting on ice with studded tyres, dog sled ride if you like that sort of thing, nearby Ice Village is worth a visit, lot’s of cross-country skiing, Reindeer and sledges and yeah it gets VERY COLD. We’ve seen -28 during daylight!

I’d go again and indeed we’ve been keeping an eye on prices recently 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been to Yllas, Finland? Skiing content’ is closed to new replies.