Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone been to 'Wonderful World of Trains and Planes', Birmingham?
  • v8ninety

This place. Thinking of taking the miniVees tomorrow. They love trains and stuff, and it’s going to be a cold wet one by all accounts, so a train based adventure looks promising. Anyone able to shed any light on if it’s any good? tia

mechanicaldope

*watches thread with interest*

Probably not going to be up to the high standards of the Pen museum.

v8ninety

I guess not then! Bump for the morning crowd. I’ll report back this evening anyway…

alanl
    Free Member

That looks as dull a.f. to me!
    And I like trains.
    The only saving grace is that you are 2 minutes walk from the Rose Villa which has a really good menu on Sundays.
    I’d suggest the Thinktank – real life trains and planes, but, the cost is a lot for a family visit.
    The main museum /art gallery is great too, but may be a little dull for children.

dknwhy

I haven’t been to this place but can recommend RAF Cosford if you haven’t been there.

v8ninety

Well, it was a bit amateurish and low rent, basically a bunch of model railway layouts ranging in quality from ‘very much work in progress’ to ‘intricate; can’t believe you’d put that within prodding distance of the great unwashed’. Two of the set ups have controllers that kids can drive the trains with; this was a MASSIVE hit with my lads. There was also a four lane scalextric set up upstairs which was very entertaining for me and the boys. We happily whiled away several hours, and journeyed to and from the place via train and the new midland metro, which the lads loved too. It’s CERTAINLY no think tank or Cosford, and I can’t help but think it’s a little flawed as a visitor attraction, (wouldn’t be any good at ALL if it were even a little bit busy) but it was a lovely way to spend a cold Sunday with the two most special chaps in my life.

v8ninety

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been to 'Wonderful World of Trains and Planes', Birmingham?’ is closed to new replies.