Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Anyone been to tuscany?
  • sweepy
    Free Member

Out of the blue the Mrs has informed me that next summer we are going to Tuscany with the inlaws. A quick squizz on google and it doesn’t look good to me. I don’t like art, architecture, culture or wine, are there any redeeming features?
    I’m not meaning to be rude to any Tuscans, I know its a popular place and all, and I expect its very nice if thats your kind of thing, but it’s just not inspiring me at all at the moment.

globalti
    Free Member

I had never been to Italy and always expected it to be a country of pizzas, rough red wine and fat blokes in vests leaning over balconies singing arias from Verdi operas.

But Tuscany is most definitely not that, I was amazed at the quality of the food, the wine, the landscapes, the people, everything. It’s a great area, you’ll enjoy it. Look out for the local Chianti Classico.

AndyRT
    Free Member

It’s awesome

binners

Not inspiring you? It attracts the classiest of people…..

😉

marsdenman
    Free Member

It’s a beautiful area but, as

I don’t like art, architecture, culture or wine

is your starting point, might I suggest that the answer to

are there any redeeming features?

may, in your case, be ‘the flight home’

😉

Seriously, it is lovely, yes, history, art, wine, food, ice-cream and The Landscape are the mainstays of the area but, it is all just soooooooooo relaxed (apart from the driving…. lordy, they are bonkers!)

white101

6 weeks time and I’ll be there, though not on someone elses yacht or massive police protected villa like grinning cheshire cat-alikes above

I’m guessing the pirate look is when he was getting his hair done? clown

willard

It’s lovely. Good food, good wine, great countryside. We went there for a fortnight and loved it.

However, take your road bike and be prepared to use lycra.

globalti
    Free Member

Good comment! If using lycra be sure to colour coordinate everything, remove the peak from your helmet and don’t wear black socks.

NJA

It’s fantastic, take your road bike and there are some great rides. Don’t know about off road as I did a weeks touring round the region. Ride the Strade Bianche, it’s fantastic fun.

It might even change your mind about the architecture, culture and wine thing. The Duomo in Sienna is beautiful and the tiny bit of Pisa that holds the leaning tower is good too. Some of the hilltop towns have to be seen to be believed. Go, Explore, Enjoy.

mogrim

I don’t like art, architecture, culture or wine

That kind of limits it, but a nice summer evening sitting in the main square of a medieval hilltop town, having a cold beer must surely appeal? Good food, too.

Though I’d go to Umbria rather than Tuscany, slightly less touristy.

And whatever you do, don’t go to Florence. I like art, architecture and culture, but Florence is a crappy overpriced overtouristy overrated town with little or nothing to recommend it.

binners

I’ve just re-read your post. You’re going on holiday with your in-laws? Are you clinically insane? I’d say the destination is the very least of your worries? 😯

rudebwoy
    Free Member

no–but would love to go— with a bike, the inlaws are good with the kids…

user-removed
    Free Member

Been twice (once with the in-laws!). Perfect for not doing very much other than eating, sightseeing and drinking. If none of these things appeal, you’ll probably find it dull as shit, tbh.

Didn’t take my bike but there was lots of tempting looking offroad riding through huge, ancient woods. Just watch out for the hunters – they shoot at anything that moves and ask questions later 😯

Take your hi-viz

sweepy
    Free Member

You must know my in-laws Binners 🙂 To be honest i’m still blocking that aspect from my mind. But at least if there was something to do I could go and do it.
    I’m not really a roadie, got a revolution cross but its a bit of a lump on the road, maybe I should try a real road bike. The rest of it, to me, just looks dire.
    I suppose I could just tell her she’s on her own and i’m going to the Alps or somesuch. The flak would die down eventually.

mogrim

I suppose I could just tell her she’s on her own and i’m going to the Alps or somesuch. The flak would die down eventually.

Speaking as a married man: don’t. Think brownie points, and go with an open mind – you might find it more interesting than you think. And the food really is very good, especially if you get away from the more touristy bits. (Anywhere with pictures on the menu is a bad sign…)

sweepy
    Free Member

I don’t know if there are enough brownie points in the world 🙂 I think I could cope with in-laws or Tuscany, but both looks a bit much.

petefromearth

Went to Umbria (and dipped into Tuscany) a few years back, hired a camper van and toured around the place. There are plenty of outdoorsy things to do, but plan in advance and get maps etc. Tourist info is terrible, or put another way, Italian. You just have to go with the flow.

My top destinations…
    Bolsena – beautiful volcanic lake, tourist free
    Norcia – good if you like sausages
    Castellucio – amazing amazing scenery, but very remote
    Any of the slow towns are lovely – Todi, Gubbio, Orvietto

Would love to go back, have a great time!

sweepy
    Free Member

Well I do like sausages I suppose 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I spent three months in Florence as an art student on a scholarship in the 80s and would go back in a heartbeat. I took my bike and rode everywhere and never felt threatened by the traffic. Cycling is a common language out there, I’d was invited a couple of times into the backs of cafes that were cycling shrines to heroes from the 50s and was fed hearty sandwiches.

Take your bike, any bike.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

You can hire a bike and ride round the wall at Luca. We hired a tandem 🙂

Lots of great walking

With out doubt Florence had the highest ratio of pretty woman of anywhere I’ve ever been (something to do while sitting in a coffee shop while they do the art thing).

Foods good, if you like Italian.

Weathers nice.

Hire a nice car, they have some great roads.

sweepy
    Free Member

Well i’ve dodged the bullet, she came home and said she does’t want to go, crucially before I spat the dummy and said I wasn’t going, so win-win there 😀

Thanks to everyone whose support and advice helped me through a traumatic time 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

@sweepy – you should book your own holiday there, stunning countryside, great weather, outstanding food. Yes the wine and culture is great too but you can just drink beer. Aside from Florence the other cities aren’t overloaded with museums/culture and for most Tuscany means a villa or small hotel in the countryside

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Go to the Garfagnana region. Mountains, well, Alpine foothills, jawdropping scenery, chestnut forests, well waymarked trails, picturesque hilltop towns straight from central casting, fantastic grub. Stay in Barga and marvel at the amount of Parliamo Glasgow you hear. (It’s where a large number of Glasgow’s Italian community emigrated from).

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been to tuscany?’ is closed to new replies.