Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone been to the Eifel Mountains for trail-riding?
  • bobsproket
    Free Member

Our Mtb club usually go away for a long weekend somewhere new each year and this time it’s my turn to organise the trip.
    We’re based near Brighton so are quite limited in terms of distance to travel to the riding destination but in the past have been to North Yorkshire, North Wales and those geographical areas. So around 5-6hrs driving time max.
    We normally do the trail-centre kinda thing but have a day big day loop exploring the location too.
    I was thinking of going to the Eifel Mountains and wondered if anyone had had any experience of the kind of mtbing availabe there?
    I’ve tried doing a bit of research but all information seems to be in German which is very time consuming running stuff through a translation app.
    Much appreciated, Bob.

leegee

There is certainly potential, I’ve been to the Nurburgring plenty of times but never ridden. the stuff around there is quite tame.

welshfarmer

Plenty of pics on this thread to give you an idea of what to expect.

http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/unterwegs-in-der-eifel-mein-tour-tagebuch.569127/

SaxonRider

I haven’t ridden, but I have walked. The area is beautiful, and well worth visiting. I stayed at a fantastic campsite near Monschau, surrounded by cliffs with a river running through it.

I plan to return on bike one of these days.

m0rk
    Free Member

Lots of double track riding.

Isn’t there some issue with singletrack riding in germany?

davosaurusrex

My parents in law live on the edge of the eifel. Have done an uplift day at hurtgenwald (back protector compulsory) which was good but not worth the trip in itself. Have also been to Winterberg a couple of times, bit further out but worth it for a weekend, the runs aren’t long but the lift is really fast so you can get loads of runs in. Did a lads trip last summer and everyone liked it. Accommodation is dirt cheap in the summer too.

Haven’t been trail riding as such, as others have said access is an issue but have seen a few groups of enduro’d up locals dropping into some really sweet looking steep natural trails. FIL told me they shouldn’t have been on those trails but no one was stopping them. That said as tourists you might get shouted at, Germans aren’t usually backward in letting you know what they think.

davosaurusrex

The mtb club that runs the uplift in hurtgenwald is part of the Loose Riders collective, you might stand a chance of doing a days uplift and getting one or two of them to show you some cheeky trails on the other day

bobsproket
    Free Member

Cheers, come really useful information to follow up on!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been to the Eifel Mountains for trail-riding?’ is closed to new replies.