Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Anyone been to see Senna yet?
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You liar Fred. You’re just disappointed because she wants to keep it on in bed, and no matter how much you try to beg, plead, cajole and bribe her she won’t substitute it for your number 7 King Kenny top complete with matching 80’s short shorts and stick on Ian Rush Tash

😆

What a silly thread this has become.

It’s on at the Rio, Dalston! 😀

This means kebabs at Mangal Ocakbasi first. Result!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Dunno why you’re excited, she’s only back looking for child support Effin. Can you tell her Majella wants her Bristol City shirt back.

EDIT: I wish you two all the best though – hope the reconciliation goes well. It’s been a rough few years for both of you 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

<spoiler>He dies</spoiler>

mboy
    Free Member

i won’t spoil it by telling you how it ends…

He hit a concrete wall at 190mph per chance? Sorry, IGMC 😉

Its on at the The Electric Cinema in Birmingham from the 3rd to 16th June, I’m off to see it this weekend, a quick google tells me its on at the Cineworld as well on Broad St.

Thank you, might well be taking a trip to Brum soon…

Went Saturday, the place was packed and not just nerdy blokes in anoraks, everyone stayed until the screen went blank and left in silence. My poor daughter (who was only 2 in May 1994) cried for ten minutes in the loo afterwords and welled up when talking about it. Just excellent, and I was not a Senna fan at the time.

In the late 80’s, and early 90’s, I was THE BIGGEST F1 fan you can imagine, and it wasn’t until he made the move to Williams at the start of the 94 season that I really started to appreciate the effect Senna had on everyone else. Previously, through young eyes, I just cheered when his car blew up (I wanted Mansell to win cos he was British of course!), or got grumpy when he won (again!). Only as I entered my teens did I really begin to appreciate just how good a driver he was.

On the day of his death, I remember watching everything vividly (I don’t think I missed a single F1 race on TV between about 1986 and 1998!), and I remember when Gerhard Berger pulled out of the restarted race I welled up and shed a tear or two. Even thinking about it now makes me go all emotional for some reason, and this is someone I’d never even met let alone had a close emotional bond with.

Statistics will remember Schumacher as the greatest F1 driver ever, but had Senna not died on 2nd May 1994, I’m sure that Schumacher would have at least 2 less world titles to his name than he does!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m not having that cah back. So you best just accept she’s staying put with you I’m afraid. 😐

griffin
    Free Member

Saw it last night and thought it an excellent film. I was surprised that they were able to get so much footage of drivers’ briefings and suchlike. Just one question: was the screen supposed to go black for a few seconds at the moment of the crash or was it a screening error? I know that no onboard footage survives beyond the bit where he hasn’t quite left the tarmac yet, but there was no distance shot either and it looked odd on-screen.

The onboard race footage was awesome. It looks so much more raw and ragged than today’s footage but I don’t know whether that’s just the result of better cameras.

mboy
    Free Member

The onboard race footage was awesome. It looks so much more raw and ragged than today’s footage but I don’t know whether that’s just the result of better cameras.

The cars, especially in the mid/late 80’s, were absolute animals to drive compared to more modern machinery. Slick tyres MUCH wider than F1 cars of today, allowing much more mechanical grip and the cars were also a lot wider, yet they had manual gearchanges still which could necessitate taking one hand off the wheel mid corner with more than 5G of cornering force applied! Completely different driving styles required, F1 in the 80’s was a lot less smooth, these days drivers have to be ultra smooth to win, back then you’d see the likes of Senna, Piquet and Prost overtaking someone into a corner, half a turn of opposite lock applied, and getting on the gas early to power it through the turn… Much more like tarmac rallying than we’re used to in modern day F1.

Here’s my pic of Senna’s 88 MP4/4 I took at Goodwood last year… My GF couldn’t understand why I was so preoccupied with this more than any other car there…

Between Prost and Senna, 15 out of 16 Grand Prix were won by McLaren in 1988, Senna with 8 and the title (though Prost wasn’t happy as he actually amassed more points, but they ditched your worst few results back then which meant Prost actually lost more points when everything was totalled up). What an amazing car…

And here’s Lewis driving it…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yCsdnUW2Ww[/video]

And Jenson and Lewis having a look through the archives…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tQCXE7DDuc[/video]

Oh, and there’s probably plenty of footage of it in the film too (I hope), but I remember as a 12 year old boy sitting in a cold, wet grandstand at the 1993 Donnington F1 GP with my Dad’s mate, watching Senna totally demoralise everyone else and win by over a minute! The guy was unstoppable in the wet…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IgWqFzruYc[/video]

chickenman

name 3 racing drivers named after scottish towns?
    Well there’s Stirling Moss
    There’s Jonny Dumfries
    And then there’s Ayr Toun Centre 😈

the-muffin-man

I’ve just back from seeing it at Derby Quad and I feel a bit ashamed at saying this but I came out feeling a bit underwhelmed!

As a 42 yr old I watched the Senna/Prost/Piquet/Mansell battles (on and off the track) at the time with a great deal of interest, and I’ve read countless books, articles, Autosports etc., and watched videos, dvd’s and other footage about him and to me there wasn’t a huge amount that revealed that most avid F1 ones won’t know already. Yes, a few drivers meeting and family time shots are new to us but the vast majority of the footage most fans will have been seen before.

To those who didn’t grow up watching and reading about Senna, or have recently got into F1 its well worth going to see. For avid F1 fans, its a good film but don’t expect to be stunned by it.

iain1775
    Free Member

Muffin I think you missed the point
    I’m like you, there was nothing new i could remember pretty much every race and name most pf the drivers seen in the briefings thought but it was a beautifully put together history and tribute to one Of the greatest drivers ever
    And it revealed to me a far more human side to him, yes I knew he was deeply religious, I knew he could be very emotional I knew the level of support he had in brazil and I remember the picyures of his funeral possession but the film really wrapped all that up and presented it in a really good way I thought

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

name 3 racing drivers named after scottish towns?
    Well there’s Stirling Moss
    There’s Jonny Dumfries
    And then there’s Ayr Toun Centre

😆

Heh! Like it!

Then of course there’s that Irish F1 driver….

…Tim O’Glock.

I’ll get my Nomex racing overalls…

griffin
    Free Member

Then of course there’s that Irish F1 driver….

…Tim O’Glock.

Two Irish drivers. There’s also Barry Kelly.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Right, erm, ok… 🙄

😉

binners

That was absolutely bloody brilliant! Really enjoyed it AND managed not to cry at the end. Result! The first Monaco in-car footage is insane. Steering wheel going from lock to lock in the corners. Sliding all over’t place. Brilliant!

I’d forgotten just how intense the rivalry was with him and Prost. All the footage makes the present day stuff seem pretty bland by comparison.

I’d recommend seeing it

richmtb

It was excellent,

This film does a brilliant job unravelling some of the mystique surrounding Senna. Funnily enough growing up watching F1 I was never a big Senna fan. I always liked Prost and Mansell but even though he was revered almost as a god in Brazil what comes across is how human he was and despite his achievements being eclipsed how pure a racer he was.

Senna didn’t care about points finishes for him it was all about winning and pushing the absolute maximum out of himself as a racer, the perfect corner, the perfect lap, the perfect overtake.

When he was at his best it was like he was occupying another plane of existence.

psychle
    Free Member

Watched it last night, really enjoyed it, though a bit sad of course… wife (who has no affection for F1 or sport in general) also enjoyed, so that says something as well 🙂

thepurist

Just checked my local cinema and they have now got multiple screenings every day from Friday rather than just the one showing on 21st. Glad I hadn’t been organised enough to book it yet!

kaesae
    Free Member

Senna should have taken the rest of that year off and found another car, he looked stressed out and very tense. That said it simply wasn’t in his nature to back off! or walk away.

Good film and very different from the usual make up wearing, designer clother promoting, action flicks that you usually come across.

tobymc

Saw it last night. A good yarn well spun. What amazed me is how Barricello survived to a ripe old age….. Forgotten about that shunt and then how they got him out. OOOFF!

the-muffin-man

Well, its had a record breaking weekend so should be rolling out into more multi-plexes soon…

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/06/senna-movie-breaks-box-office-records-on-uk-opening/

julianwilson
    Free Member

I want to know how Elfin’s kebab was too.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Pretty much nationwide release at cineworld now, when I checked at the beginning of the week it wasn’t so they must have changed their minds about it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Off to see this tonight. 🙂

Interested to learn that director Asif Kapadia is a Hackney bwoy dat like myself. Even born the same year as me. 8)

Gutted to also learn that he did a Q+A at the Rio Dalston, which is where I’m going tonight, on the 5th of June. 🙁

Consoled by the fact that there is a Lamb Shish with my name on it, waiting for me in Arcola St…. 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well, we enjoyed the film, it was very well made. Some fantastic footage. My non-F1-watching companion thought it was very good indeed.

As for the kebab, well, what can I say? Mangal Ocakbasi once again excelled themselves, I’m very pleased to report. A finer kebab you won’t find anywhere, I’ll wager. Elfin’s Top Tip though; get there early, before 8pm, or you will be waiting ages for a table. Queue was out of the door, and that’s on a Tuesday evening. And for just £22 for two lamb shish and an aubergine starter, you simply cannot go wrong.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Just saw it. Enjoyed it.

Nice to finally see something that showed openly the corrupt French running of the sport back then, trying so hard to stop his raw talent.

Bit like the FIA some years back being so far up Ferrari’s backside…

mboy
    Free Member

Forgot to add to this thread earlier, but I went to see it on Friday…

Now it was very enjoyable, but… Well, I’ve probably already established earlier in this thread that in the 80’s and 90’s I was the biggest F1 fan/geek/bore around, but it felt to me like they’d had to cut too much out just to keep it down to 2 hours long. OK, average punter I am not I suppose, it could have been a 6 hour long documentary and I’d still have been rivetted to my seat, but I felt there was too much missing. They majored on the love/hate with him and Prost, and concentrated hard on the 88/89/90 seasons massively as a result, but aside from showing his brilliance at Monaco in the Toleman in 1984, and his crash at Imola in 94, they almost completely missed everything from 85-87, and also 92-93. IMO, they should have shown at least some snippets of some of his greatest drives (Donnington 1993 in the wet for example) rather than play so heavily on the whole Senna V Prost thing. Ok, confrontation makes for good TV, but I wanted to see a bit more of a reminder of just how much a genius he was behind the wheel though. Onboard footage in his MP4/4 at Monaco 1988 was pretty special mind, one handed most of the way round…

That said, inclusion of some of the drivers briefings was brilliant. Showing just how corrupt the French FIA Mafia was back then, and how everyone saw Alain Prost as God and bowed at his feet and kissed his arse… Until about 1990-91, when they obviously began to realise he was a jumped up French shite, and quite clearly not as talented as Senna as well as being a vindictive little man. To see the F1 drivers’ attitudes change visibly towards Senna in a matter of a couple of years was brilliant!

Also, the footage of the 89 Suzuka come-together which ended Prost’s race, and gifted Senna the title (for it then to be taken off him), from the Helicopter was new to me. I’d not seen that before, as you can clearly see that Senna had the inside line and was far enough alongside, and Prost took a look round at Senna, before then steering sharply towards him, still far too early to turn into the corner. Avoidable? Almost certainly, and I’d say if anything it was Prost’s doing yet he came away smelling of roses from it, media savvy as he was at the time…

Good film, but I for one can’t wait for the DVD with the directors cut, and all the unused footage bundled in extra… But then does anybody else care, as you’ve undoubtedly not read my post this far as you’re not as big a 80’s/90’s F1 geek as me! 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

That’s all well and good, but….

…did you have a kebab?

mboy
    Free Member

No Kebab sadly… 2 packets of Beef Monster Munch were consumed though FTW! 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Beef Monster Munch?

Beef Monster Munch??

I’m talking about kebabs, and you come out with Beef Monster Munch? 😡

Philistine.

Beef Monster Munch indeed. How terribly low class. 😐

mboy
    Free Member

How terribly low class

You know me so well… :mrgreen:

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I though I was scum but you, well, I dunno what to say. 🙁

Beef Monster Munch. The abominableness astounds me.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Oooooh, sit down Kebab dinner Elfin, get you with your posh city ways. 😀

Is/was there a kebab van at Silverstone? (I’ve never been.)

singletrackhor
    Free Member

Ive no interest in F1 whatsoever but this is a superb documentary. Highly recommended.

nbt

Just booked to see it in the local cinema on monday evening. It better be worth it, I’m skipping my volleyball training session to watch it.

I remember 4 of us in the lounge watching F1 back in 94 when it happened. I think I always will.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Simply brilliant. Very moving and powerful.

Even though you know the end, you don’t want it come.

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been to see Senna yet?’ is closed to new replies.