Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone been to Oslo?
  • Rockape63
    Free Member

I’m going for a few days with wife and 12 year old daughter and haven’t yet worked out what to do/where to go….so any suggestions would be very welcome.

br
    Free Member

Yes. Its cold and dark (imagine Scotland, but worse), so wrap up warm.

househusband

Yup. Our summer holiday was in Norway; it was pretty much a tour but we started and ended in Oslo – we were there for a few days at the end.

First thing is prepare yourself for the expense. And, as above, the weather this time of year.

The opera house is spectacular and well worth a visit. Plenty of museums to suit all tastes, including several on islands you can get to – but then I’m not sure if they run all year round. Shopping, even just browsing, should be awesome this time of year. Tourist information should be able to arm you with all the brochures you’ll need.

Rio

Not been for a while but last time I was there (business not holiday) we took a trip on the metro up to the Hollmenkollen ski jump above the city. I don’t know if you can still go to the top of the jump but it’s worth going up just for the views over the city.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Went there several years ago it was in May with nice weather, i distinctly remember high beer prices however this was off set by what i can honestly say was the friendliest place i have ever been, fantastic !

IA

Go to the polar museum, and the viking museum, both ace, particularly wandering round the Fram in the polar museum (ship). You can use bus tickets on the boats too, cool way to get out to the museums.

Lovely place, but as above, my god it’s expensive. Basically assume everything will cost twice what it does in the uk and you won’t go far wrong.

thomthumb
    Free Member

it’s awesome. went on a lads weekend. from my hazy memories there were australian girls, northern girls, swedish girls, locals giving us free drinks because we were mad to go on a lad’s weekend to the most expensive city in the world. I remember a princess (actually norwegian royal family) shagging my mate because he told her he was in guns and roses, he was actually in a tribute band! there was the night we went back to a house with a danish guy, a swedish guy and a finnish guy – sounds like a bad joke but we ended up drinking 15 yo scotch till 6am then getting our flight a couple of hours later.

awesome!

Rockape63
    Free Member

Cool Thomthumb……sounds like a trip I had to Munich many moons ago!

Cheers Guys….I spotted this 2000m tobaggan run you can go on, so will do a bit of that too. You get the metro back to the top!

Pigface
    Free Member

Fram museum is brilliant.

slightbreeze
    Free Member

I live 45 minutes outside of Oslo. Its a great little city, there are not many capital cities in the world where you can be in the center of downtown and in 15 minutes on the underground be up in the forest surrounding the city.
    Viking ship musuem is good as is the ‘Folk’ musuem which has loads of buildings from Norways long history. The Science musuem is cool, but you can see them in any major city.
    If there is enough snow on the ground you have to do the Korketrekken,really good fun.
    http://www.visitoslo.com/en/product/?TLp=182035&Toboggan-run-Korketrekkeren=
    Check out this site http://www.visitoslo.com/en/your-oslo/children/

Have fun

FG
    Free Member

As others have mentioned, there’s the Munch/Fram/Viking museums, national gallery. If you like skiing, Tryvann ski centre opened last weekend.

It’s -10 outside at the moment, so bring appropriate clothing 😀

slugwash
    Free Member

I spotted this 2000m tobaggan run you can go on, so will do a bit of that too. You get the metro back to the top!

That’ll be the one from Frognerseteren to Midstuen on Metro line 1 – It’s wicked.

It gets a bit busy on the train back up to the top at weekends and holidays so don’t hang around at the bottom, get straight to the front of the platform for the train back up and another run down 🙂 A steerable sledge is best for getting the most out of it but be carefull. I’ve seen people taken away on stretchers on several occasions.

Travel cards for a day or week are good value and the best bet
    for getting around. You can use them on buses, metro and some ferries.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been to Oslo?’ is closed to new replies.