Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone been to Marrakech?
  • geologist
    Free Member

Thinking about a city break in April, is it worth going to Marrakech?

Cheers

jambalaya
    Free Member

Short answer, yes

Long answer depends on what you’re looking for and where else you’ve been. It’s a bit mainstream now but as an experience of an Arabian city with touches of the “old world” it’s ok. I’m going back in Jan as part of a friends birthday celebrations

richmars

Yes, a long time ago. It was pretty interesting, as it is very different from anywhere in Europe, but pretty close. Not sure now.

saxabar
    Free Member

Just had Christmas there! Excellent as a city break as it’s fairly quick to get to, but very different from the West. We stayed in a riad which was gorgeous inside but down a street straight from Black Hawk Down. Lots to do, but plan beforehand as it’s easy to get lost in the souks and endless metal and leatherware (although there’s interesting rubberware too from tyres in the form of bags, belts and other bits and bobs). Definitely go for a hammam – as local as you dare. No need to spend loads on restraurants either so again, go local. We made it up to the Atlas Mountains too which are stunning and a welcome respite from the town (it’s pretty full on). So much biking to be done!

tomaso
    Free Member

Yes but it was in 1991. Very good it was, we went in September and it wasn’t below 100f for the two weeks we spent there.

Fueled
    Free Member

Very interesting place, very much worth going. One of the best ways to feel a long way from Europe without having to go very far from Europe (was a few years ago anyway, may have changed).

You could spend the whole weekend happily engaged in playful banter with the market stall people, but expect to come away wondering why the hell you just agreed to pay so much for some tat. Eating in the main square at night is special.

orange16
    Free Member

Great place, we’ve been a few times, stay in a Riad instead of Hotels and take in piece of arabic/african culture. Some great day trips out to Atlas Mountains etc. Would highly recommend and not too hot in April.

saxabar
    Free Member

Image from the main square (Christmas sunset):

vmazie
    Free Member

Would absolutely recommend it for the wow factor. Went with my 8yr older daughter and had an incredible time.
    About 4 nights was perfect (including a day outing to the Atlas Mountains).
    The whole trip was very memorable – all in good ways.
    I read a travel documentary book beforehand (Cinnamon City – Miranda Innes), just because I was being geeky. Although the writing itself wasn’t top quality, it did give me a much better insight and understanding of the place and people once we got there.
    Chickened out and got a pre-booked taxi from the airport which I thoroughly recommend; a good way to get your bearings – and find your riad!
    Have fun.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been to Marrakech?’ is closed to new replies.