Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • anyone been to Marmaris in Turkey
  • davy-g
    Free Member

have ya been??? is there any decent mountain biking in the area, I am heading out there for 2 weeks starting 12th September… no way do I want to be lazing by the pool… 😀 😀 8) 8)

concretej
    Free Member

Went there last year May/June time. I know they have huge mountains to pass before you go into the resort, but I don’t think MTB’ing is a past time round there,of course it would be very hot too . if you really want to preserve your fitness I would road bike it myself as without a guide it would be easy to get lost I reckon. The roads were in good condition, but the local motorcyclists/Vespas riders in town are dangerously carefree,i.e no helmets, 3 on a bike,last minute turns…etc.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

have ya been???

yes

is there any decent mountain biking in the area

potentially, but I didn’t see anyone, or any guides, but we weant for a walk one day and I thought some of it looked fun (bit like Sierra Nevada in Spain, but without the altitude). The go-kart track is entertaining (no helmets, no run off, filling the cars with petrol while you’re sat in them, etc).

And the locals are out to rip you off at every turn, never assume that an ‘all inclusive day trip’ won’t cost you at least double the initial price in food/water pistols/etc. And the police are corrupt, they wouldn’t give a crime number for a non-crime (lost property) but were happy enough to ask for 150euros round the back door to expidite gettign one, and they randomly stop the tourist coaches/jeeps so make sure you have passport/visa* and your seatbelt on. and keep you hands in your pockets and don’t make eye contact or conversation with anyone in the fakes market.

*they don’t give change at the imigration desk, if 2 of you go through and the first hands over 40euro then the other 20 magicaly disapeers.

fannybaws
    Free Member

yes there is some.

there is national park in the hills above the drag with a few fire road routes waymarked.

its hot but gets you away from all the tat plus its pretty cool pedaling past tortoises etc.

Watch out for the bees at that time of year as i think they have started to move them down from the hills for the winter by then.

you may want to pedal round to the neilson resort on adakoy island and seek out the mtb guy to see what he knows.

enjoy

m1kea
    Free Member

And the locals are out to rip you off at every turn, never assume that an ‘all inclusive day trip’ won’t cost you at least double the initial price in food/water pistols/etc. And the police are corrupt, they wouldn’t give a crime number for a non-crime (lost property) but were happy enough to ask for 150euros round the back door to expidite gettign one, and they randomly stop the tourist coaches/jeeps so make sure you have passport/visa* and your seatbelt on. and keep you hands in your pockets and don’t make eye contact or conversation with anyone in the fakes market.

*they don’t give change at the imigration desk, if 2 of you go through and the first hands over 40euro then the other 20 magicaly disapeers.

Damn, in all the years we’ve been going to Turkey, I’ve never encountered any of the above. Perhaps you were just lucky? 🙄

Not done any riding there but that coast is very spectacular (read steep) and I’m sure there would be some cracking riding.

As for Marmaris, the best things about it imo are the road out or watching it disappear whilst sitting on a gulet drinking Efes.

Bernaard
    Free Member

Have I been? Yes

Mountain biking? Don’t know

Go again?? Never

Sh!thole

davy-g
    Free Member

cheers guys… I was only wanting to know about MTB’ing out there…. 8)

voodoo_chile

Got taken away by dalaman armed police about 15 years ago when they tried to rip me off with the visa entry fee….stood my ground and got the money back, the turkish guy wont do that for a bit again! …backhanders and scams are rife over there but most tourist places are the same
    Marmaris is like blackpool now

m1kea
    Free Member

Davy

Have you been there before?

If not, This part of Turkey is very hilly. Turn Terrain on Google Maps and you’ll see what I mean!

The Lycian Way is a long distance path in the area and I believe you can cycle quite a bit of it.

I’ve just been looking on Garmin Connect and putting a custom search for all cycling events over the past 365 days. A fair few routes come up including the recent tour of Turkey.

Last September was very warm, with higher than average temps. Expect it to be in the late 70’s F

takisawa2

Just got back from Sarigerme, near Dalaman. Experienced none of the negative stuff up ^^^.
    Locals were great, didn’t once get conned or even attempted to be. Would we go back…yes 100%.

I tried to find some local biking but where we were its pretty quiet.
    Did spot a guided group heading back from the hills one day so there was some.
    I’d try a friendly email to a couple of local day tour companies, they might just know someone.
    Was quite frustrating, bone dry lovely looking trails heading off into the hills, but nowt to ride them on. 🙂

davy-g
    Free Member

aye, My Son has been there 3 times before, he didn’t know anything about MTB (lazing and boozing are his pasttimes…LOL), he has had no hassles there at all.
    Have googled it and know that it is hilly, will do a bit more research into it before I go…

was bad enough biking round Kirroughtree red/black last week in 27 degree sunshine 😕

thanks to all who have replied to my post…. much appreciated folks.. 8)

IanW
    Free Member

Been 3 times, each time I say I’m not going back. This time I mean it.

Turkey is a dump imo

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘anyone been to Marmaris in Turkey’ is closed to new replies.