Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone been to Fernie?
  • Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Looking at somewhere new go go and ride and really dont want to deal with the crowds at the well known places. I heard a bit about fernie a few years ago, but all the hype seems to have moved to Whistler.
    anyone ridden in Fernie to give me an opinion?

nedrapier

I spent a season there a few years ago. It was a great season even for Fernie: 11m of fresh over the year. Some proper nipple deep days in there. You’ll love it if you like steep tree runs. No/minimal fun park though.

When the snow’s good, it’s amazing. When it’s not (and it can be, it can rain a bit, or just not snow much, like this year) it can feel a bit small. Can you to book last minute if the snow’s good or will it have to be booked well in advance?

Whistler’s always been hyped. Voted best ski resort in North America since before skiing. or voting. And deservedly so. But to paraphrase spiderman: “with great hype, comes great crowds” I decided on Fernie because it was less well known, not the obvious choice, and I didn’t fancy the 9:1 ratio of men to women! No part of me wishes I’d gone to Whistler instead.

Fernie’s ski area is just as good as it was when it was all over the mags and travel supplements (+ a new lift). Fewer crowds = what you’re after?

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

Been to Fernie and am so so about it…but Alta in Utah was better. However it is for serious skiers only, no night life and no snowboarding allowed. But the best champagne powder to be found! They only groom one or two pistes, the rest is up to you but you have to be a good skier. Stay at Goldminers Daughter.

nick1c
    Free Member

Fernie’s good, especially if you are into backcountry. The pistes were pretty limited when I was last there (5+years). If you go try to get a short term day-trip cat skiing to Island Lake Lodge (or stay there if you are minted). I’ve stayed with Canadian Powder Tours – chalet holiday style, nice & helpful. They also do Kicking Horse which is supposed to be good.

nedrapier

I had quick click on your profile and saw your kitzbuhel page. If you’re interested in winter jobs to match the summer ones, you might want to have look at these guys:

http://www.nonstopsnowboard.com/about-us/

bit of a plug as it’s a mate’s company, but apparently they’re very good. lots of info about resorts in western Canada, too. Have you looked at Red Mountain?

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Thanks guys for the Info, I was actually thinking of the summer activities – whats the mountain biking like? is there a bike park or just Back country trails?
    I’ve heard the powder is supposed to be unrivaled, just wondering how the Dirt compares

nedrapier

Ha! not really sure. Pretty good apparently, Rupert’s been thinking for a while about kicking off nonstopbike

But I’d guess it’s nowhere near as well serviced as Whistler.

I’d go to Nelson, ride a bit, take some advice there and do a trip around places like Kamloops and Castlegar. The scenery’s stunning and amazingly varied, and Nelson’s a great town with a great brewery!

domino

Asked a similar question the other day – got these responses.

markcdo
    Free Member

Stayed there for a couple of days before Transrockies in 05, nice people, couple of decent bike shops, loads of places to stay for all budgets and some seriously technical riding, much seems to be well hidden but locals/shops will point you in the right direction. Bikepark – not sure, wasn’t looking but there must be stuff like that there somewhere.

I’d go back tomorrow you lucky b*****d !!

BearBack
    Free Member

Fernie Fat tyre aka Sacred Rides are probably worth a look.

richc
    Free Member

I went to fernie with sacredrides last year and they were excellent and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them. Miles and miles of trails for all types of riders from swoopy singletrack to big jumps and northshore.

You will need to ride uphill to get to some of the good stuff tho.

simonb
    Free Member

Second, third Sacred rides, went with them last year. Eddy our guide is based in Fernie and I think the company is too.

Lots of fun swoopy trails there and was pretty quiet when we went in July. No crowds at all.

There are 3 bike shops there. Look up the guides hut shop as they stock trial maps and could give you advice on the trails there.

Would go there again.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been to Fernie?’ is closed to new replies.