• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by scud.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone been to Faroe Islands with bike??
  • scud
    Free Member

Was looking to go somewhere a bit different for a week with the bike next year and saw a (road cycling) article about the Faroe Islands and was drawn in by the photographs of the islands which look stunning.

Just wandered if anyone had been, if you flew from Edinburgh, what type of bike you’d recommend (road bike, Salsa Fargo, hardtail or fat bike in the garage), and whether it is correct that you cannot wild camp anywhere and that it is difficult to get between the islands as you have to use tunnels which are dangerous to cycle through?

I did also read that you couldn’t cycle off road, but recent posts seem to show a Faroes mountain bike club and lots of photos of off road riding?

Many thanks

nedrapier

This tickled me, so I went googling. It’s 8 years old, but probably enough to bump it below some others on my list of potential destinations!

Re: Cycling in the Faroe Islands
    Postby pq » 23 Aug 2009, 7:17pm

I rode on the Faroe islands last year. It was very windy, wet and you can’t get far before you need to negotiate a sea tunnel which you’re not allowed to ride through. No problem I was told – you can just put your bike on a bus. Trouble is buses come every 4 hours… And those aren’t the only tunnels – there are loads of them under mountains. You can ride trough them but they’re very scary (and I’ve ridden through a lot of tunnels). And finally the Faroese are not accustomed to cyclists, so while they’re not at all aggressive, they overtake very close.

Oh and the boat now only runs from Denmark and Iceland.

Frankly I wouldn’t bother.

More details of my brief visit here: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Northatlanticdrift

scud
    Free Member

It was very windy, wet and you can’t get far before you need to negotiate a sea tunnel which you’re not allowed to ride through. No problem I was told – you can just put your bike on a bus. Trouble is buses come every 4 hours.

I live in rural Norfolk, so that won’t be too different to home!

I have read some of that, but things seem to have changed a bit over the last few years, so wondered if anyone had been recently…?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    globalti
    Free Member

It does look beautiful though. If only the weather was better.

mugsys_m8

Tom Hill went sometime this year.

scud
    Free Member

Thanks all, i can probably contact Tom via Twitter

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been to Faroe Islands with bike??’ is closed to new replies.