Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone been to Ethiopia?
  • SprocketMan
    Free Member

Hello,

Im travelling there with a friend for 5 weeks, leaving in January.

We are flying into Addis Ababa, so far we have planned a week of sport climbing just outside the city.
    Week 2, will be visiting the town of Shashamane (where there is an interesting rastafari community)
    week 3, we plan to head to the Semien mountains for some hill bashing.
    The stone churches of Lalibela is on our list too.
    And white water rafting is another activity we want to include, but its been difficult to find a company which does this out of ‘package deals’.

Any advice on the above or other interesting sights?

Cheers,
    Liam.

tootallpaul

Lived there for 2 years, not far from Shashememne, in Awassa.

I think you’ve ticked all the boxes…

It can be a hard place for tourists. The attention outside Addis is unrelenting.

zinaru
    Free Member

Nothing to add other than wow! Sounds an amazing trip – a place I’d love to go.

And maybe grab a Mulatu Astatke compilation as a soundtrack.

chewkw
    Free Member

It looks not many know about the happening there.

The Irish Times

Foreign travel advice

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Sounds like the OP’s trip could be ‘fun’.

shermer75
    Free Member

I think you need to hire a guide for the Simien mountains? That may have changed since 2003..

My biggest regret was not seeing Lalibela (I was there on work so unable to change schedule..)

shermer75
    Free Member

You’ll prob be ok if you avoid the borders

SprocketMan
    Free Member

We are preparing for quite a culture shock for sure, and dont expect completely smooth or relaxing trip.

Currently trying to learn as much as the language as possible, certainly the obvious phrases.

And yes we will need a guide for the hills. Apparently they are difficult to deal with and suck as much money as possible from you but i suppose you have to learn to say no. Many, many times over. The views will make it worth it.

And these are areas we were already aware of not going anywhere near, but thanks for the heads up.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Currently trying to learn as much as the language as possible,

Aren’t there something like 23 languages spoken in Ethiopia?

I visited there way back in about ’02 or ’03 and has a great time although my glasses may be slightly rose tinted. Best coffee I’ve every had and best Italian food I’ve ever had too, the injera was not always to my liking.

Yes it’ll be a culture shock but you know what, that’s normally a good thing and about the only other thing you’re missing would be a trip to Axum.

Well except for the toilets. That was a shock I could have done without.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Whatever the traditional dish of a big pancake and some unidentifued meat is, avoid it.

Anything else is likely to be better.

andykirk
    Free Member

The guruls are ridiculously pretty.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been to Ethiopia?’ is closed to new replies.