Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone been to china? Tips pls
  • bri-72

Wife heading there soon not sure what to expect. Mainly big cities she’ll be visiting.

Mobiles – will uk iPhones work for texting home?
    Wifi – available in most bigger hotels? For skypeing.
    Dosh – credit cards ok most places and for cash withdrawals?

Any other top tips?

nealglover
    Free Member

Whatever you do, don’t call the takeway food “a chinky” 😉

tonyg2003

Yep. Phones work, cards work, wifi in big hotels. It’s a modern country now.

Not too tricky to get around been a couple of times on business.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Which city? I spend time in both Shanghai and Beijing and have a few specific tips for both if need be.

Mobiles – will uk iPhones work for texting home?

Yes, but I would stick with email over wifi for simple cost reasons. Also, just using email is easier than text when abroad. (Apart from da yoot, who texts anyway?)

Wifi – available in most bigger hotels? For skypeing.

Yes, in almost every “Westerner friendly” hotel. I ran Skype through a UK VPN, but I gather there may be some issues with Skype in China overall.

Dosh – credit cards ok most places and for cash withdrawals?

Major cards (Visa/Amex) are fine everywhere. Cash machines abound.

Some other stuff;
    Don’t tip. Ever. Tipping is a no no in China.
    When she checks in to her hotel, get her to take a business card and ask the reception to write the word “Taxi” in Chinese on the back, and keep it with her. If she gets stuck, point to the back, then get in cab and point to the front.
    China is safe, amazingly so, but also very, very alien. It’s so different to anywhere else. An amazing mixture of fascination and revulsion. I love going there.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Don’t do the “slitty eyes” thing.

bri-72

Cheers, she’s going with a big group so for getting about should be fine.
    What are prices like for eating out, trips, taxis etc. no idea what kind of spends needed.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What are prices like for eating out, trips, taxis etc. no idea what kind of spends needed.

Where’s she going?

The major cities vary from Gwai Lo rip offs to locals paradises. I know a wonderful little back street bar in the Xintiandi area which is as cheap as chips and an amazing place to be. Sadly, in some places, you have no option but to go to the Westerner-friendly places, unless you’re with a local. I’m lucky that I have locals to guide me to some fine places!

bri-72

Shanghai, Beijing, nanning, Suzhou, hangshou,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been to china? Tips pls’ is closed to new replies.