Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Anyone been the victim of fraud?
  • Johnboy373
    Free Member

I was checking my bank statement wondering where my money had disappeared to, found a payment for £185 to LB Camden so I asked my missus if she had bought me something nice and she told me no. Turns out someones got hold of her card details and used it to pay Camden Council. On further scrutiny I found another 2 payments of £60 to some parking mob also in London.

Banks Investigating, But my mate just told me the bank should pay this back to me now instead of me having to wait for the outcome of the investigation.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Cheers

J

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yep. Last week had an automated phone call from Halifax about my credit card asking me to call them ASAP. Did so, and found that someone had spent over £2k online that day on my credit card. 10 minutes on the phone to a lassie in the fraud department telling her which transactions were mine and which weren't and it (appears) to all be sorted. None of these dodgy transactions are showing when I check my account online, they cancelled the card and I had a new one within five days. Big thumbs up to Halifax from me.

Johnboy373
    Free Member

Bloody hell!! Thank god you got it sorted. Hopefully my bank is just as diligent.

rs
    Free Member

Just had it happen a few days ago (i'm in canada, not that it makes a difference). They somehow used my debit card to withdraw money from my VISA which are linked apparently, its all getting sorted but still a pain in the ass. they took out $400 at an ATM. Don't know how they do it!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Hope so, good luck with it.

I have to say I was very pleased with mine. I was halfway through a 500 mile drive to a funeral when they rang so it wasn't great timing!

I think that, as the banks experience of sorting out these incidents increases, they should be getting better at identifying the genuine complaints from the chancers, and therefore resolve them faster.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Been there too! Three times. A local branch of a BIG national company seems to have been 'skimming' my cards. The card company were super helpful though on all occasions. Its a little different between credit cards and debit cards IME. With credit they take the initial responsibility, with debit it seems to stay with you until they're satisfied you or your family arent involved somehow.

The only fly in the ointment is if any of the transactions in dispute were done with chip & pin they will take the opposite approach and ask you to prove it wasnt you.

mafiafish
    Free Member

I used to work in reatil fraudfor the halifax. Basically aslong as it isn't PIN verified you'll get your money back. It's the vendors responsibility tyo endurr payments are legitamate and rhe only sure fire way is using PIN or a bank's dedicated online service. And if fraud occurs the bank jjust nicks the money of the vendor. Apologies fopr spelling I'm very drunk due to all my Uni work being finished til Feb and having a night ourt with tyhe cycling club wootenany.

organic355
    Free Member

yep, ordered some UGG boots for the missus' xmas from http://uk-uggs-boots.com/
    turns out its a fake website based in china.

Also got some flights (not mine) booked on my credit card a few years ago after staying in a hotel in amsterdam.

Johnboy373
    Free Member

thanks mafiafish you've eased my woes a little.

mieszko
    Free Member

I had an automated call from Lloyds if I recognise all transactions. First suspicious one was a £1 to Oxfam as I did't remember to make a donation using my card, than two transactions in a a shoe shop in Latvia for over £500. Don't really know how they got a hold of my card details, but woman over the phone was helpful and the funds stayed in my account. Always check Your statement for the next couple of days, as even with the card cancelled I had a £20 payg O2 top up paid with my card, and I'm on a contract. Got that back after filling in a form. So I had it nice and easy.

However my mates girlfriend had £4000 lifted from her debit card (savings for student exchange with US) and someone nicked her wallet during the busy hours on Princes Street. She blocked her cards after couple of hours once she noticed the wallet was missing, but thieves managed to buy jewellery, withdraw some cash and buy a £1k bag as well. Thing is, they somehow knew the PIN number but she never used the card on that day, even to check the balance, and the PIN number wasn't 1234 either. Now the bank gave her loads of hassle, woman over the phone said that it is unlikely she will get her money back from the bank, police was also involved and they found some cctv from couple of shops, an asian family was doing some pretty expensive shopping using her card. She tried CAB and wrote a letter to the bank after the first decision, but the bank replied the same, that she will not get her money back. She would be able to take them to court but had to fly for the exchange and couldn't stay any longer in Edinburgh. She is now £4000 short and thanks to the bank approach she will probably never see the cash again. Is there any ways of getting a PIN number from a chip and pin card? As that is the only thing that could happen there.

Kuco

I had £1000 pound took out of my account in 4 days only knew when a woman in a shop phoned me up and asked if I had ordered a £300 teddy bear as the call seemed a bit odd. Nationwide were brilliant and I got it all back in a matter of a week.

Now I only ever use a credit card as if they take money off that the bank loses the money where as a debit card I lost the money out of my account.

uplink
    Free Member

Is there any ways of getting a PIN number from a chip and pin card? As that is the only thing that could happen there.

Probably not the same in the case you highlighted but ……….

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/lawandorder/3173346/Chip-and-pin-scam-has-netted-millions-from-British-shoppers.html

My Egg Money card was used to withdraw around £500 out of a ATM in Croatia
    I've no idea how they got the PIN as I'd never even used it – the card was newish & had only ever been used for a couple of online transactions

ams09121974
    Free Member

I've just been robbed to the tune of 2.5k for a summerhouse I ordered around two months ago. It was going to be my new bike workshop/home gym. Been trying to phone the company all week, phoned the business next door to the company and they told me I'm the fifth person to phone him this week and that the business just shut two weeks ago and the owner had dissappeared back to Romania. I bought it on my visa debit card and have no idea whether I'm gonna get my money back. I have felt physically sick for the last few days.

mcboo
    Free Member

Pah…..mere buttons!

I got a phonecall

Caller – "Hello is that Mr McBoo? I'm calling from Lloyds Bank in Eastbourne. Can I ask did you just withdraw £10,000 in cash in this branch?"

Me – "No, I'm in my kitchen in North London. I've never been to Eastbourne"

A Nigerian gentleman had somehow duplicated my card, walked into the bank, smiled and walked out with 10 large. Only 2 mins after she handed over the cash did the lass on the desk think to give me a call.

lowey

Yep, they did my cc twice. 1st time was 3.5K on flights and electronics all over the world.

2nd time was a waiter at an indian restaurant. Before the days of chip and pin. He racked up £500 on adult chat lines. This dickhead used his own mobile so the cops traced it back to him pretty handy.

takisawa2

Yes. £3 for a brake adapter to some little tyke on here earlier this year. 😀
    Laughable compared to some of the experiences on here.

Is that true, the advice that if its on a credit card its generally sorted quickly where as a debit card can take a whole lot of sorting ?

I've been thinking about switching all my spending to a credit card to get air miles etc.

Jamie
    Free Member

I got done for £550 off my debit card 4 months ago. First thing i knew about it was getting a letter from the bank saying i had gone overdrawn which i knew i shouldn't have. Otherwise i would never have known. Barclays were very good about it and after filling in a few forms i got the money back.

As above i am now switching all my card use to the credit card…..just a shame that that means i get hit by surcharges here and there*

*I'm looking at you Easyjet!

crazy-legs

My stepmum had her ID stolen/copied and a large black woman somehow managed to use the ID of a slim white woman to get a 25k loan from a bank, collected in cash.

I had my CC nicked a few years ago, someone got into the staff area at work and stole a few wallets. Got a call very quickly from the CC company who'd picked up the strange spending and it was all sorted quite quickly.

And I once had a chequebook stolen in the post, the first I knew of it was when I had a letter from the bank telling me that the cheque that "I" had written for £2984 had bounced and they were charging me astronomical sums of money for large rubber cheques and going overdrawn. One visit to the bank and a chat with the manager saw all charges refunded, the chequebook cancelled and a £20 compensation payment.

AndyP
    Free Member

someone clocked up £4k at Amazon on my Egg card 3 years ago or so. First I knew of it was when Egg called to say they'd picked up on this and were refunding it to the account.

john_l
    Free Member

I've just been robbed to the tune of 2.5k for a summerhouse I ordered around two months ago. It was going to be my new bike workshop/home gym. Been trying to phone the company all week, phoned the business next door to the company and they told me I'm the fifth person to phone him this week and that the business just shut two weeks ago and the owner had dissappeared back to Romania. I bought it on my visa debit card and have no idea whether I'm gonna get my money back. I have felt physically sick for the last few days.

If it's Visa Debit then I believe that they're following the same rules as for Visa Credit under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act – which means that the shed comany's bank is responsible for paying you back.

ams09121974
    Free Member

I do hope so john_l.
    It has really knocked me back. I've reported it to Trading Standards and am making a claimback on my bank/visa debit card. they couldn't tell me what the chances where of me getting my money back. So fingers crossed, as soon as i get it back I will be ordering another one, from a reputed seller and using my CRDEIT card!

badnewz
    Free Member

HSBC are fairly good at keeping tabs on my cards. Whenever they see a number of larger than normal purchases, they give me a call.
    Never been defrauded though.

bear-uk
    Free Member

My son has just had his Nationwide account stopped. Someone had made a small transaction to a charity (£3.00) and the Nationwide picked this up and stopped any furtherer transactions. It seems that if they get away with the small amount, you are then hit with a big transaction.

ams09121974
    Free Member

Thank you very much for that john_l. Feel a wee bit better now! Might even go out for a little ride in the snow to celebrate!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been the victim of fraud?’ is closed to new replies.