Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone been refused taking their bike on arriva trains?
  • houndlegs
    Free Member

As title really,I’m hoping to hop on a train to Aberystwyth and ride home over the weekend.
    When I made enquiries about booking my bike on,the ticket office lady said they don’t do that anymore and that its up to the guard if he let’s a bike on.
    So in theory I can buy a ticket but be refused a train ride.
    Now the ticket office lady said,that most of the time they let you on with a bike,so what I want to know is,has anyone been refused on arriva trains with a bike.

Trampus
    Free Member

I use Arriva in North Wales regularly and have never had a problem, even when crowded.

saxabar
    Free Member

Sadly many times in South Wales (particularly from Cross Keys to Cardiff). If you pick a quiet time of day you’ll be fine though.

steviecapt
    Free Member

ive caught the merthyr train from cardiff central, its usually fine after 10 am but on the weekend its obviously busier, a couple of riders who got on the train at pontypridd were told they would have to wait for the next train, in the end try to go off peak, and its just wait n see, not ideal is it lol, bring back the old guards wagon i say

wrecker
    Free Member

Not arriva, but have been refused a few times with first great western. I sacked it and started driving in the end.

MasterOfNone
    Free Member

Hi Houndlegs, the arriva train to Aberystwyth is my commuter train. I have never been refused entry with a bike by them, the train staff are usually actually very helpful. The only times i have had issues is when a previous train has been cancelled and i cant physically get on with the bike. Where are you joining the train and what sort of time?

Birmingham to wolverhampton can be very busy at peak times but anything west of Telford and things get much quieter. I did a similar thing last year but opposite, cycled to Aberystwyth and got train back with 4 friends all with bikes. Staff were a bit put out by this because we were a group but we still got home. Regularly 4 plus bikes during peak hours.

Just be aware that 4 carriages leave birmingham, but only 2 go to Aber, it splits at Shrewsbury.

MoN

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Never had a problem getting my bike on, mud n all!! There has been a few times though when the bike storage area is full up with luggage and suitcases which really does my tit in, especially when the owners just can’t be bothered to put them in the allocated luggage areas.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Just a point for everyone wanting to take a bike on a train, if the wheels are off and its wrapped up its no longer a bike.

STATO
    Free Member

Just a point for everyone wanting to take a bike on a train, if the wheels are off and its wrapped up its no longer a bike.

Its still large luggage and your ticket only allows you normal sized luggage, over-sized items are at guards discretion.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Nope not at guards discretion you are allowed over sized Items up to a cubic metre if they are under 50kg, but you may be charged.
    OK a bike would be a tad over a metre in length but hey who caries a tape measure ?

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Nope not at guards discretion you are allowed over sized Items up to a cubic metre if they are under 50kg, but you may be charged.
    OK a bike would be a tad over a metre in length but hey who caries a tape measure ?

STATO
    Free Member

Really? what train network is that? could come in handy! next time i use them!!

From the arriva website…

You may take a single item of hand luggage that must be capable of being held in your lap if required, plus up to 2 items of luggage each not exceeding 30 x 70 x 90 cm in size. Unless you are disabled or have reduced mobility and have made arrangements in advance for assistance, you should be able to manage your luggage without additional help. Luggage is carried subject to sufficient space being available in the train service you wish to use.

The bold bit is the important bit. ie. if your train is busy the train guard can refuse to allow additional luggage.

They also have another section where it mentions this, restrictions.

Any Train Company may refuse to accept an item of luggage, an article, an animal or a cycle, even though it meets the requirements set out in Condition 47 and 48 and Appendix B, if, in the opinion of its staff:

it may cause injury, inconvenience or a nuisance or it may cause damage to property;
    there is not enough room for it;
    the loading or unloading may cause delay to trains; or
    it is not carried or packaged in a suitable manner.

houndlegs
    Free Member

@ master of none. I’m catching the train in Abergavenny and changing at Shrewsbury. Its leaving Shrewsbury at 15.27, this Friday. You think I’ll have any trouble that time of day? Ive gone and bought the tickets as well now.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been refused taking their bike on arriva trains?’ is closed to new replies.