• This topic has 28 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hora.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Anyone been out to Iraq recently? Erbil in particular
  • bland

Just looking for some actual info on Erbil? Im put my cards in and said im not going but a couple of colleagues are possibly going. We were there last year but conscious that things have changed. It would be a fly into Erbil, night in hotel then 3 vehicle armed convoy to the oilfield at Atrush i believe.

I’m just trying to ascertain the actual “real” risk, yes the consulate has withdrawn and its in the FCO red zone but that doesn’t always reflect reality. Any one who has any real world info would be greatly appreciated.

peterfile
    Free Member

What has your security consultant said? Check STW for real world info?

🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

😯

I would ask myself why someone currently working in the ME isn’t taking the job

imnotverygood

I’m sure it’ll be fine 8)

bland

I wouldnt trust anyone who said anything different!

globalti
    Free Member

You really need to speak with somebody on the ground; you’ll only get arse-covering from inside the UK.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP just to add I am not adverse to visiting difficult areas, eg went to Kuwait just after the end of the first gulf war occupation, visited Saudi etc during some very tense times, travel Asia during SARs but this is really right off the scale. The whole IS/Al-Q tactics these days are very different and targeted as Western travellers/workers

bland

Yeah thats my concern that the threat level is different but there are a lot of westerners over there still. I was just hoping to try get a different angle from someone who may know someone there or who has been there recently. Ive spoken to consulate and im waiting on hearing back from my Basra based security consultant, im not just looking here.

LoCo
    Free Member

Answer from friend in ‘security’ business.

One of the safest bits Iraq as in Kurdish area, but it still Iraq 😐

Can get more info if wanted as have friend of friend there with red cross atm.

Can move around with relative freedom, stuff does happen but with less regularity.

EDIT: it was also stressed that all contact with Kurdish women should be avoided as you will come to a very unpleasant end.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Wouldn’t go there, agree with jambalaya. And I wouldn’t trust local or contractor security either. If the consulate has withdrawn and it’s red and given the media coverage of the situation I would agree with the UK foreign office. Can the money be really worth the risk and why can’t the Iraq’s fix it?

jekkyl

what does your wife reckon to the plan Op? 🙂

tiggs121
    Free Member

How much can westerners earn working there?

Holmesey
    Free Member

Nice city to be honest. When I was last there we walked out for a beer- v v different to the south of Iraq.
    Consular advice tends to be so risk averse that it’s hopeless. I can get a full readout on your areas of interest tomorrow if you want? Colleagues have been there for ~3 yrs and have a good impartial view.

wrecker
    Free Member

I have a friend who pretty much lives there. Works in mine clearance. I’ve messaged him, if he gets back to me I’ll let you know what he says.

Holmesey
    Free Member

Near Dohuk, Marathon Oil? Not been there since Dec 13 and teams did change their route in from Erbil during summer ’14 but not heard any problems there recently. Some problems as 1/2m refugees moved into Dohuk causing some supply issues, but out in your base, I’d suspect this wouldn’t affect you.
    As prev post said, check on private security provider’s track record…

Holmesey
    Free Member

That’s what I was up to Wrecker.

noltae
    Free Member

Are radiation levels a concern?

wrecker
    Free Member

Ex RE or RLC then?

Holmesey
    Free Member

RE. tbh I was running ops from UK and just visiting. (Shiny…saddle) these days.
    🙂

globalti
    Free Member

Coincidentally Radio 4 PM did a feature on broadcasting from Erbil this evening at around 5.55. They talked about how ISIS are broadcasting on the same frequency to block the Erbil station’s decadent pop music and lascivious chit chat.

tiggs121
    Free Member

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

Well, I wouldn’t go there but Erbil is one of the safer places. Depending on how your mode of transport, it might be a little sketchy getting out there but it should be better than it was.

This is a pretty informative map

bigjim

Very large amounts of blood oil money, thanks to Messrs Bush and Blair

Holmesey
    Free Member

Tiggs. How much can Westerners earn in Cleckheaton? Or Milnrow? Or Scunthorpe?

10million dollars I suppose

wrecker
    Free Member

RE. tbh I was running ops from UK and just visiting. (Shiny…saddle) these days.

I’d imagine we know a lot of the same people.
    Edit; I’m pretty sure we do!

EdwardH

The situation is no worse than it was this time last year when we were being told ‘everything is fine’ while the yanks knew the poop was close to hitting the fan in Mosul but in Kurdistan itself everything was OK. Though it really does depend on where you are heading, if you are in Erbil or heading east and south east of Erbil I dont see any issues. The likes of Harir and shaqlawa should be ok. The only note of worry i have heard recently was that there was a car bomb in Erbil a month ago, which i think is the third such thing since the region opened up.
    I am waiting on a green light from a rather paranoid operator and expect to be there next week. I have colleagues who have been back there since the end of last year and they haven’t said anything worth worying about and one of them was in hanjeer. I would just avoid Jabal Khand and Baeshiqa until the nutters have been wiped out.

bland

Cheers guys, some really useful information there, just what i was looking for really.

We were there 12/18 months back and while looking down on Mosul it didn’t seem too threatening form what i understand and it appears that not much has changed really.

I think its a proceed with caution having an understanding of the situation and what to expect and if anything having the correct evacuation procedure in place.

hora
    Free Member

Todays news…I **** wouldn’t

hora
    Free Member

And two page spread in todays i paper page26 on suicide bombers in that town

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been out to Iraq recently? Erbil in particular’ is closed to new replies.