Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone been out on the Munros this week?
  • Garry_Lager

I'm going out hillwalking with a friend tomorrow and looking for ideas on a good Munro to do from an Edinburgh start. Anyone been out recently? What's the snow cover like on the tops Killin, Crianlarich way?

My friend is a reasonably experienced walker but has not done anything in a Scottish winter. So most Munros would suit, but want to avoid scrambling over snow and ice (Also don't have time for a really epic day). Couple that spring to mind are An Caisteal and Beinn a Chroin, just south of Crianlarich. Or Meall Ghaordaidh, from Glen Lochay. Any other ideas?

Smee
    Free Member

Tarmachan Ridge above Killin would be my choice.

druidh
    Free Member

^ Wot he said.

Tarmachan Ridge should be fine. I was (cycling) in the Trossachs today and it didn't seem cold enough for ice.

Garry_Lager

Tarmachan would be good – I've done it before, but is it not a bit dodgy in winter? I guess if there's no real ice yet there's no problem.

Smee
    Free Member

Now't dodgy on it and there are plenty ways to skirt round the worst bits.

druidh
    Free Member

There's only one steep down-step along the ridge. If it's looking icy once you're up on the ridge, just descend straight off the N ridge of Meall nan Tarmachan instead. I've done this in the past and it's fine, it just brings you on to the quarry road a bit nearer the dam.

druidh
    Free Member

Another option would be Meall Bhuidhe, on the north side of the Loch an Daimh dam. Short, easy walk but with very open views out to the West, North and East. One of my favourites on account of the views.

Kunstler

Meall Ghaordaidh would be an easy and safe day out – much better if it's frozen as it's incredibly boggy otherwise. With snow, the Tarmachan ridge would be a bit risky if your not prepared.
    Judging by the various webcams there was significant cover yesterday but overnight rain seems to have impacted on that.

We were up at Drummochter last week and might go back there tomorrow or An Casteal & Beinn a Chroin or we might go and do our two last white mounth munros. It's looking like it'll be a good day for it.

Ben Lawers would take you high up into the snow. Schiehallion for an easy walk. Both easy to get to from Edinburgh.

Garry_Lager

Had a great day out on the hills today, did Meall Bhuidhe in the end. Thanks Druidh for the tip – was just what the doctor ordered.
    Quite breezy today, but not properly cold. Decent visibility at the top and the snow / rain largely kept off.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been out on the Munros this week?’ is closed to new replies.