Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone been on one of the German river cruises?
  • busydog
    Free Member

Mrs busydog has decided she wants to explore taking a riverboat cruise on one of the major rivers in Germany. Anyone here done so and any recommendations as to cruise line and specific river?
    Thanks

ampthill

I once looked at the Viking River Cruises website

I just hope there are cheaper options

Any way

This is my favorite book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Unlikely-Voyage-Jack-Crow/dp/1574091522

Based on it I’d say the Elbe

busydog
    Free Member

I just hope there are cheaper options

Yeah, they aren’t cheap. I suggested to Mrs busydog that we could buy a large 2-person kayak, get a hotel each night and eat at a nice restaurant and still have money left over from the cruise costs–needless to say, that didn’t go over well.

ampthill

In all seriousness read the book its a great story very well written and will provide inspiration for a life time of river cruising

busydog
    Free Member

read the book

Thanks–per your suggestion, checked it out on Amazon and will shortly be downloading to my Kindle.

JulianA
    Free Member

Haven’t been on a cruise but we thought the Moselle Valley was lovely. Bernkastel am Cues is a lovely town and Trier (where we stayed) is excellent. It has what are alleged to be the best Roman remains north of the Alps. They certainly are pretty good. Great place.

deepreddave
    Free Member

We saw one of the Rad und Schiff boats on the Danube on a recent trip to Bratislava/Vienna – worth a look given you ask on a cycling forum?

joeegg
    Free Member

My next door neighbour came back a couple of weeks from one.
    Enjoyed it so much he’s taking the company to the small claims court.
    It was a cheaper one but the trip was disastrous.
    Boat being repaired on arrival therefore schedule was behind.Cruised during the night through places they wanted to see.Paid only cheap mooring fees so one night they were moored next to quayside builders merchants with cranes and the lot( i’ve seen the photos ).
    To cap it all the captain steered the boat into an overturned barge,that everybody on deck could see.It caused panic with people running for lifevests.
    Divers came to inspect and the boat had to go in for repairs again.
    Oh,and the entertainer was the same guy every night.

deepreddave
    Free Member

joeegg – name and shame the company perhaps so no one else books without ‘checking’?

metalheart
    Free Member

My old folks have done four, they love them river cruises.

I was asking them about it for a work colleague. Apparently there were some youngsters, only in their mid fifties, on one once….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been on one of the German river cruises?’ is closed to new replies.