Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone been on a mountain bike safari?
  • fbk
    Free Member

I’m talking about the African big game type safari. It’s something I’ve always fancied and my better half has suggested she may be up for it. I know it wouldn’t be cheap so I’m after any experiences folk on here may have had with particular areas/companies. Was it worth it?

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

Would you be thinking about Mashatu Game Reserve?

I’ve only heard good things about the place, and you definitely ride in among the animals as it is a private concession. Nice landscape and not too sandy.

YouTube may contain spoilers.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B7SqDLXUtk[/video]

There’s also a fleet of fat-bikes on the fringes of the Okavango Delta, contact Delta Rain and ask for Gerald. Not too many animals around their base camp though, and not sure if they ride out into wilderness areas. Very sandy.

In your position I think I’d want to do a bit of bike and a bit of something else: consider a few days at Mashatu to get a biking fix then go up to Maun (public transport, buses aren’t too bad… honest) and either a mobile camping tour with the likes of Delta Rain or book direct with Oddballs for a fly-in Okavango experience.

fbk
    Free Member

Great, thanks for the info – that’s certainly the place that comes up top on search engines. I’ve seen a few packages that either focus on Mashatu or combine that with South Africa. The only other option Ive found was another UK company who do tours to Namibia.

Not sure my other half would fancy Fatbikes and sand 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

We did one in Kruger, South Africa. It was just a day trip but it was great. Didn’t see a huge amount of wildlife but we tracked a few (including some big stuff). It was a while ago, booked through the central booking system.

Pretty basic bikes but gun rack included.

dovebiker

Just make sure you’re not the slowest in the group and you’ll be fine 8)

fbk
    Free Member

Gun rack? Nice 🙂 And don’t worry, Mrs fbk will be slower than me 😉

rickmeister

Wouldn’t guests be part of the Food cycle / food chain / wheel of life ?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been on a mountain bike safari?’ is closed to new replies.