Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone been biking with White Room and Joyriders?
  • mrl

I have narrowed down the summer biking holiday down to two companies, so has anyone been with both of the above? For when I am thinking of going both are roughly the same cost so no issue there. However my wife is a bit concerned about the level of riding. I have asked both companies already but I am just looking for independent inputs! Both have got good reviews on here in terms of accommodation and service, I am just looking for some thoughts on the level of riding. We have been with switchbacks and found that to be good fun and made it down everything but it was at the top end of our comfort levels. Both of us are on hardtails if it makes a difference.

Cheers

ojom
    Free Member

I am slightly biased as i have been with White Room and have a business relationship in its infancy so you should always bear that in mind when i say that they are totally amazing people.

Next year they will multiple guides for different skill levels. Importantly too Steveo is now French accredited for the guiding – check their site. No other UK based/UK originating organiser is.

Oh and there is free beer and wine, a great chalet and the best cakes in the valley.

Mark

Del

can't comment on white room but have been with joyriders where i rode my ht. i'd take my bouncer next time, just because i have one now, and didn't then, but would still go on a ht if that's all i had. i want to go back next year. i walked some stuff, of course. i don't know about you, but if you're not riding some stuff at the edge of your ability, then you're not pushing yourself, and really, at the end of a week's riding, i want to come away better than i was before – that won't happen if you're in your comfort zone all the time.
    i went to verbier this year ( bikeverbier.com ), and walked probably more, but was in a group of riders where i was probably middle of the row, if not towards the bottom end, and they have to cater for everyone, so it was inevitable that i would do more walking. also, in these places, you're generally doing much more descending in the course of a morning, than you would in a full day's riding in the uk, so if you walk 4 times in a day, it's probably equivalent to walking once here.
    TBH i think it's the nature of the game. you will always be challenged. when presented with it, either get off and walk it, or ride it, but just make sure you enjoy yourself. there's no point beating yourself up about this 5hit!

mrl

Thanks for the comments. Del, I know what you mean about pushing yourself. I am pretty happy doing that, my wife prefers breaks in the riding where you can just go with flow of the trail and not have to hang on and hope all the time.

nasher
    Free Member

I cant comment on both the operators but they seem to get good reviews.

Main thing is to ask whether they can offer some coaching, it makes a big difference and how many guides they have. sometimes depending on group ability we use 2 guides one to lead and one to coach at the back.

nickegg
    Free Member

Not been with Joyriders but went with the White Room in September and going for 2 weeks next year…i think that says it all really.

Vortexracing

Went with joyriders 3 weeks ago

brilliant

more here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17059060@N00/sets/72157622692975565/

very good trails and superb chalet.

free beer, wine, Champange and jacuzzi plus pool.

Mark, John and Jude are very nice and really look after you.

The chalet and all the nice extras made it a very good 'whole package'.

Looking to go back next year, without a doubt. 😆

bagpuss
    Free Member

Been out with Switch-Backs twice and know what you mean.

Now had three trips with Joyriders most recently at Cerro Macho. This is is far better than the Estepona set up they had. Accommodation was great (aircon, en-suite, jacuzzi, plunge pool, donkey in the next field), food & beer faultless.

I did a lot of walking (up hills, felt crappy all week, inhaler never used so much) but had a great time in between wheezing everywhere. Jude and Mark very professional and there is enough variety with trails to keep you occupied, just let Mark know what you're after. Should point out that I know Mark quite well, and I think that makes me harder to deal with as a guest rather than a mate who's popped over (hope he reads that :wink:)

Photos here Joyriders Oct 2009

Fourth trip booked already.

mark@joy-riders.com
    Free Member

I've read it Bagpuss 😉

I should point out that it was a stinking cold that made bagpuss wheeze so much! 😀

Humphry
    Free Member

I've been to Switchbacks, others in Sierra Nevada and Joyriders (can't comment on the white room), and I found Joyriders trails more comfortable to ride and therefore more enjoyable. Any sections beyond me I walked, but the long sections in between more than made up for it. Just what your wife is after by the sounds of it.

They also have really fast, smooth, flowing singletrack over in Cordoba – which we didn't get in Sierra Nevada.

I didn't have a hard tail with me, but there were guests (and guides, mark 😉 ) riding them with little let up in performance!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been biking with White Room and Joyriders?’ is closed to new replies.