Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone any experience of all season car tyres
  • falkirk-mark

After looking at the winter tyres thread what is the opinion of all season tyres, is it a case of a bit better than summer in the winter and quite poor in the summer or are they a good compromise. looking at Maxxis MA-AS tyres.

fettlin

Had Goodyear vector 4seasons on my yeti since this time last year, nothing but praise for them. No real signs of wear on the back, the fronts are still showing loads of tread in the middle (the shoulders are a bit worn but that’s more my fault than the tires 😳 ) 12500 miles and counting.

Very good in the wet, very good in muddy fields, no discernable drop in performance in the dry. No chance to test in the snow yet but I don’t doubt they will perform.

When I got them they were cheaper than replacing with P6000’s so was a no brainer at the time.

SaxonRider

They can be an excellent compromise between summer and winter. Word of warning, though: don’t skimp on quality! Read reviews, and get the best tyres you can afford.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    falkirk-mark

the Maxxis ones are the only ones that meet all the current Michelin specs (98V)
    and are nearly half the price though I do expect not to get the same mileage from them.

butcher

Will depend a lot on the tyres I would’ve thought.I had a couple of sets of Falkens which were branded all-weather. Decent enough tyres, rave reviews, but when I switched to cheapo Uniroyal winters, the difference was night and day in cold weather.

Just put on Nokian WD3s this year. Which are a proper winter tyre branded suitable for year round use. They seem decent enough, but we’ll see come the winter.

There’ll be a compromise. Maybe a tiny drop in fuel economy. A bit more noise. Steering might not be as direct. But for the British weather, in terms of grip, it’s the 6 months through the winter when you want that insurance.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Nokians lasted 30k miles. Wasn’t totally convinced by wet weather stopping. Now have Michelin X, which seem better but haven’t yet seen a winter…

wheelie

Michelin Cross climatate gets excellent reviews. Sounds like a good bet for the soft South.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’m not fan of them I’m afraid. I’m based in Germany where the winters can be hard and I found that they were only marginally better than a summer tyre in icy conditions. I can’t say I noticed much difference in summer conditions though. Worth baring in mind that all seasons tyres are not allowed in certain countries if you take your car on skiing holidays

johnners
    Free Member

I put a set of Hankook Optimo 4S on to replace worn-out “Summer” Contis on my Mondeo, they did really well in reviews at the time, though less so now. They’ve done 33k and have about 5mm left all round. I’ve never noticed any shortcomings vs the previous tyres though I’ve only used them once in snow so haven’t seen a lot of benefit either. When they’re done I’ll replace them with the same or another 4S type rather than Summers.

Worth baring in mind that all seasons tyres are not allowed in certain countries if you take your car on skiing holidays

They’re marked with mountain and snowflake symbols so I think they’d at least be legal. Whether they’re really up to full-on Winter use is another matter.

falkirk-mark

They don’t do the Michelins in my size (225 60 16 98v)the only ones that seem to be an exact match seem to be the maxxis ones.

grtdkad

Michelin Cross Climate here going in to their first winter …in the extreme conditions of malvernshire 😕

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone any experience of all season car tyres’ is closed to new replies.