Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone an expert on pub measures, 25ml, 50ml etc…?
  • DrP

Visited the Public house yesterday for a little tipple with some friends – now it’s a big pub chain so they should know what they are on about…

Now, i ordered, amongst other things, a Baileys (17% vol). I was always under the impression (as I used to work at a bar) that the standard measure for liquors under 22% vol was 50ml, and for spirits is 25ml.
    This pub was adamant that the standard measure for all drinks was 25ml…

I’ve searched high and low but can’t find the original document online, but does anyone have deep knowledge on this subject, or can recite the Weights and Measures (Intoxicating Liquor) Order 1988[u] at all so I can go back and demand they top up our glasses…?

Thank you please…

DrP

Schweiz
    Free Member

I thought that the standard measure for Baileys was “bottle”

AndyP
    Free Member

I thought that the standard measure for Baileys was “bottle”
    It’s ‘pint’. Don’t lasses round your way use glasses?

Surfr
    Free Member

I’ve only ever been served 50mm measures of Baileys as a single. Sounds like the gut was trying to pull the wool over the customers eyes or they were a dullard.

Stoner
    Free Member

There’s no “standard” measure IIRC, only that the servings is in multiples of 25ml. You pay for the volume you order, if their pricing seems out then you just tell them and dont order that drink. If it’s too small but the pricing makes sense order a double.

I had an argument with an idiot barman who clearly thought it was OK to charge £3 per 25ml of pimms making a stupidly expensive “standard serving” – I think they had the wrong volume against price logged into the till.

finbar
    Free Member

I thought the 25ml measure was bumped up to 35ml some years ago? (It was in both the pubs i’ve worked in anyway).

p.s. Definitely agree about the bigger measures for intermediate strength drinks though.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

25ml or 35ml, it is up to the bar. There is no real rule on it.

But I always served Bailey’s in 50ml measures (they always had proper ‘Bailey’s’ branded optics in the bar I worked at).

brant
    Free Member

I had an argument with an idiot barman who clearly thought it was OK to charge £3 per 25ml of pimms making a stupidly expensive “standard serving”

Only Stoner could post this and not consider it might appear ridiculous 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

I bet they serve red wine by the pint in your local, Brant.

🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

weigths and measures act just states that they have to tell you the volume (look for a plaque/sign behind the bar) or failing that its printed on the optics. And that the volume has to be accurate (hence pint glasses etc are marked or they have to use optics or metal tumblers). Strictly speeking the bars that just pour it straight into a glass by eye are breaking the law.

Stoner
    Free Member

Strictly speeking the bars that just pour it straight into a glass by eye are breaking the law.

not if the glass has a measurement line with an excise stamp I think.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Only Gin, Rum, Whisky and Vodka have to be served in 25ml or 35ml measures, or a multiple of those measures.

Milkie
    Free Member

25ml or 35ml, it is up to the bar. There is no real rule on it.

There is a rule though, the measures and prices have to be published by the bar. Usually at the end of the bar on the wall.

You cannot used 25ml & a 35ml for say vodka, you have to stick to one measure, so its either multiples of 25ml or 35ml.

It was a long time ago when I was a licensee.

geoffj
    mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

There is a rule though,

Well yes, there is a rule on stating what you serve, but as has been said – some bars serve 25ml, others 35ml. There is no law saying you have to do one or the other – you just have to be clear WHICH you serve. I just didn’t make myself very clear – must have had one to many early morning Bailey’s

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone an expert on pub measures, 25ml, 50ml etc…?’ is closed to new replies.