Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Anyone allergic or intolerant of beer ?
  • voodoo_chile

Struggle even having half pint of anything almost within the hour feel unwell .,anyone else have similar experience

trail_rat
    Free Member

How are you with other products containing wheat or gluten ?

ahwiles
    Free Member

Some beers give me crippling headaches, with the wrong beer, half a small glass will floor me for days.

As a rough guide, the Darker the beer, the worse the headache.

I’ve been drinking my way through a medium sized lake of becks and bradfield blonde, with no problems at all.

Northwind

It’s probably not a wheat/gluten/barley allergy or intolerance just because they’re so prevalent elsewhere, you’re not likely to have an issue with gluten only in beer I think… B

ut, on those lines, it’d be easy to do some testing. Most big supermarkets will have daura damm gluten free (a fightin’ lager) or coors light (not officially gluten free, but widely considered to be basically gf) and a lot of places have Brewdog Vagabond which is a GF ale just now. So you could see if it happens with those. Drinking beer for science!

luke
    Free Member

I do with most, the only reason I’ve narrowed it down to is my fish and shellfish allergy.
    Beer that has isinglass fining in makes me rough beer without doesn’t.
    Thankfully the vegan society produce a list.
    But if in doubt I drink cider now.

Haze

Currently free of artificial flavourings, colourings and preservatives after a visit to the immunologist.

Wine experiment tonight (sulphites), beer & whisky yet to be determined if all else fails…

john_drummer
    Free Member

If you have a problem with darker beers and not with lagers I’d suggest it could be the yeast that you have a problem with.. If I brew a dark beer I don’t bother so much with finings as I would with a paler beer

Typically all beer contains barley, hops, yeast and water. Darker beers will contain darker roasted barley, but it’s still barley. Stouts will also contain, guess what, more dark roast barley, and sometimes oats. How are you with porridge? If ok then it’s not the oats…
    Some beers – most English ales – also contain wheat, as do weissbiers. Are you ok with weissbiers? or wit beer ? Same thing.
    Eliminate all of these and the only other variable is the yeast…

xora

Sounds like a yeast intolerance.

I was suffering until I worked out giving up meat meant I could drink beer 😀

cbike
    Free Member

Yes. Beer and bread.

Not diagnosed with anything but avoid it as much as possible. Makes me really uncomfortable.

Cake, pastry type stuff seems to be ok but never have a lot of that

voodoo_chile

My downfall is guiness and bread but get the pain after lager of any type

globalti
    Free Member

Not surprising as lager is actually urine with flavouring.

oldgit
    Free Member

Cheapish beers make me ill, Fosters or anything really gassy.

High alcohol ones seem to be better, so I stick with Duvel and up. Though I do drink less when it’s stronger.

jeffl

Been getting hayfever like symptoms with most red wines and some beers this Christmas. Not happy, my body clearly hates me.

tomd
    Free Member

After 6 or 7 I start to feel a bit unwell.

Seriously though wheat beers don’t agree with me. 1 or 2 can give me a proper hangover.

There are actually some quite drinkable gluten free beers out there. The Estrella one is pretty good. Maybe give one of those a go to rule out the gluten side of it.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/estrella-damm-daura—gluten-free-beer-4x330ml

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Could be the sugar?

My Dad gets sinus.

My diabetic friend used to feel tired or after fizzy drinks or half a beer.

See your GP?

You’re not North Asian? Some lack alcohol digestive enzymes and cannot tolerate alcohol at all.

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve never had a problem drinking beer or larger but over the last few years I’ve hardly had any. I’ve been on a few Christmas doo’s recently and not had that much but I’ve felt pretty bad that evening and for the next few days. Upset stomach mainly, no headaches.

Last few days just had red wine and I was fine.

I don’t have any problems with any other foods.

I’ve put it down to the chemicals in the beers or just being a bit soft.

My friends tell me I just need to drink more and do less exercise like them.

Wally

Yep, the post Wednesday night ride goes 6+ pints and a glass of red for the oddball in the corner.

john_drummer
    Free Member

@damascus – this could be a barley intolerance. No barley in red wine or many foods. There shouldn’t be any chemicals in beers, in an ideal world

voodoo_chile

Damascus , I’m the same just purchased some greens gluten free lager from. Sainsburys …and some leffe to try as its a blond beer 6.4% though

Harry_the_Spider

Staropramen makes me piss like race horse.

shermer75
    Free Member

Yes, but it depends on the beer, some are fine. My lips sting and I get a lot of pain in my stomach

shermer75
    Free Member

Beers that I’m fine with: lagers like Stella etc, most mass produced bitters. Beers that aren’t good: pretty much any craft beer, dark beers like stout etc, pretty much any beer festival-type beer. Which puts a bit of a spanner in the works of something that looks like a lot of fun

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Theyre all vile

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Anyone allergic or intolerant of beer ?’ is closed to new replies.