Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Anyone admitted that they're not that rad anymore and bought a sensible bike?
  • monkeyninja
    Free Member

You gotta try a spitfire aswell just rode the poc enduro and it flies!
    Stage 4 was a steep nasty trail which I crashed on the third corner and then rode with squint bars and then got stuck behind someone for a bit till they moved over, still did ok..

http://app.strava.com/activities/56377701#1033539660
    At no point through the event did it feel out of its depth but it also allows me to ride normal mellow trails with ease as it pedals so well. Just my opinion though!

neilc1881
    Free Member

Depends what you mean by a sensible bike, I’ve gone from being single and riding a Patriot to married, 2 kids and a farm within 5 years. Latest ‘sensible’ bike is this one which is pretty good at carrying children and the odd lamb too!

IMAG1014 by neil.d.cox, on Flickr

(Though I do have a five with a CCDB and Fox 36s for when I want to let it go).

mindmap3
    Free Member

Dan; I’m sticking with little wheels for now. But you’re right, that 29er was handling everything chucked at it but you could put Ed on a BSO and he’d still fly on it. The Rune isn’t much more burly than my SX and I still managed to drag that round Hebden ok, including the climbs.

Monkey; couldn’t get a demo of a Spitfire and given that his is the most I’ve ever spent on a frame I wanted to ride it first. The availability of the Rune’s is pretty bad now until the 2014 ones land in September so I though I’d buy the bike that I’ve ridden and liked rather than taking a punt. That Rune flew too despite the forks and shock not being to my liking…can’t wait to get it built up with the stuff that I like. Downside is that I’ll have to a few more uplift days now….damn!

Nowthen; I’m starting to think the same. I’m quite happy on chunkier bikes.

monkeyninja
    Free Member

Didn’t realise you had bought it.. Nice one enjoy!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mindmap3 thanks for the update, always interesting to hear how these stories turn out

mindmap3
    Free Member

I liked it and basically thought sod it, you only live once! If there had been more available I’d have waited until the Spitfire demo arrived, but even Ison aren’t expecting many in soon and apparently most are spoken for. I also got a pretty good deal on it which helped…so far I’m a happy bunny.

I wrote some more detail about how I thought the Rune and Covert rode compared to each other on my thread asking for people’s experiences with Coverts.

q232
    Free Member

mindmap3, which size of sx trail did you use and which size of banshee rune did you buy? and what is your height?

Lester
    Free Member

buy an ibis mojo hd
    you then get the choice to run it as 160 or 140 by swapping the rear shock
    you can just about get away with running a 150 fork, which is a small compromise but makes the swaps quick and easy.
    mine weighs 291b in 160 mode and is possibly enough for all you need

brakes
    Free Member

deep down I’m very happy shredding singletrack without worrying about psyching myself up for a gap jump over a pit of doom – I did more miles doing practice run-ups to drops than anything else…
    big bike is still in the shed though for the odd trip of mince to a DH track.
    perversely I’m fitter now in my mid thirties than I’ve ever been and I get my kicks from that.

DrP

I’m falling into this camp…
    I AM happy blatting down a DH run or taking moderate gap jumps..but it’s not all that floats my boat now.
    Really, my 29er SS scandal is now my go to bike, whereas it always used to be my 150mm Commie meta 5..

Heck – setting up a tarp and having a cuppa is now becoming as thrilling as donning the full face and ‘shredding things to the gnar core max…’

DrP

gwaelod
    Free Member

Love Neil Cox picture above

I really want a cargo bike.

Marmoset
    Free Member

I don’t miss the gnar as I never had it in the first place! I guess being a wheels on the ground guy has left me less conflicted 😆

PJM1974
    Free Member

Right up until I discovered mountain biking ten years ago I’ve been a gnar-free zone all of my life, the closest I’ve ever come to gap jumps is when I rode a borrowed Raleigh Grifter over a makeshift ramp consisting of a plank and three bricks.

So now I have a 160mm skills compensator that is a darn sight more capable than I am. The best thing about it is that it actually pedals very well indeed and will happily climb most things without complaint. Weight-wise it’s a sturdy 33lb and at the tender age of thirty-nine and a half I’m finally learning to drag both wheels off the ground, kicking and screaming. Yay me!

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Anyone admitted that they're not that rad anymore and bought a sensible bike?’ is closed to new replies.