Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone actually snapped a pair of carbon handlebars?
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Just for interest, anyone on here actually snapped/cracked/seriously damaged enough to cause injury, a pair of carbon handlebars?

RealMan
    Free Member
    ChrisL

I remember ti_pin_man sheering 2 or 3 inches off one side of a carbon bar in a crash at Coed y Brenin a few years back. I don’t recall him being particularly hurt in the crash, though the rest of the ride was slightly more challenging for him because of it.

br
    Free Member

Don’t say that and tempt fate – I’m out tomorrow 🙂

parkesie
    Free Member

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YocEk-_xDo8[/video]

Hang 2 big blokes of them and this can happen.

Northwind

I’ve folded a steel one, cracked an alu one (Tioga), and bent another alu one (Answer). Still to do anything to a carbon one, though the old monkeylites are pretty much ruined- covered in chips and scrapes, most notably the ones they got when the bike fell off the gondola at fort william from about 3 stories up…

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Yes, fell off my bike at walking pace still holding onto the bar ends and snapped the Maxxm bar where it met the bar end. Happy bunny I was not!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I put a 2mm deep gouge by accident with headset removal tool in some carbon Ragley Wisers, carried on riding them with no issues, including a trip to the Alps.

carlosg
    Free Member

Yep snapped a pair of Profile carbon bars years ago, nearly had a trousers/shorts accident when it happened luckily it was on smooth singletrack not the rocks I was riding over 5 minutes earlier. Swore blind I’d never have another pair , at least alloy bars usually give a bit before they go instead of being ok one second and not the next.

njee20
    Free Member

Not necessarily.

carlosg
    Free Member

Hence the word usually 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone actually snapped a pair of carbon handlebars?’ is closed to new replies.