Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anybody work/ed in France ?
  • towzer

Hi

gfs son has a permanent salaried job offer in Paris (currently UK based) and is considering it.

Any hits and tips re permanent employment questions:
    – pension
    – expenses
    – general living costs
    – healthcare
    – rough way to compare a UK salary to a French salary (not just euroconvert but local costs, taxes etc)
    – car prices
    – car insurance (presumably will need a French licence ??)
    – anything else
    – flat/room renting arrangements

mucho appreciated

timb34
    Free Member

To generalise: it’ll more complex, expensive and different than he expects.

He should do it.

BillMC

Numbeo should answer your questions.

BoardinBob

Healthcare is a social insurance scheme and is paid via tax on salary.

rocketman
    Free Member

Spent a week there with Renault

Breakfast – cigarettes coffee
    Mid morning might do a bit of work
    Noon – think about where to go for lunch
    Lunch – more cigarettes
    Late afternoon – meetings/coffee/cigarettes
    Early evening – more coffee + cigarettes
    Evening – yup you got it

jerseychaz

He’ll find the tax/pension system incredibly complex – get advice included in the employment package, ditto social charges and top-up health cover. The cost of living is pretty much on a par with England once you take everything in to account – he’ll be paid in Euro so the exchange rate fiasco won’t affect him. Don’t know about rent in Paris, probably on a par with London but expect Estate Agents to be complete cocks (at least that’s our experience of them!) other than that is very different but great fun (so far!) Second hand cars are more expensive – don’t buy a decent one if living in Paris. Insurance is more expensive. UK licence is fine, no need to change unless he gets points. Health care is great – you pay and claim it back. He’ll be elegible for the French NHS but social costs are high. HTH

poolman
    Free Member

That numbeo site is really interesting, thanks for posting. I thought I lived well here in spain and that confirms it. Cheers

br
    Free Member

rough way to compare a UK salary to a French salary

It’s irrelevant, it’s a job in France not in the UK.

Also remember to shake hands (every day) with everyone you meet.

Nico
    Free Member

Also remember to shake hands (every day) with everyone you meet.

This. And address them as Monsieur/Madame etc. Even your wife/husband/civil partner.

BillMC

Unfortunately Poolman Numbeo doesn’t measure the ‘craic’ for your money. Difficult, but I always find my money in Spain seems to purchase more fun and fascination than anywhere else. Paris, I’d be less certain.

johnhe

Rules and regulations are much more complex than the UK, but their pensions are generally much, much better too.

I’d love to work there. I think French living is a great way of life. Although everyone I know who works in Paris works extremely long hours, and generally stays at work until 7-8pm before driving home since the traffic is truly awful.

globalti
    Free Member

I worked in Paris for two years. My advice:

Pensions etc. are OK, the employer should organise it. Mine is with AG2R La Mondiale and I’m looking forward to finding out what it’s worth when I retire.

Accommodation: difficualt to find flat shares in central Paris because only the former maids’ rooms in the attic or basement are available, meaning there’s room only for a single or a very close couple. It’s said that over 50% of Parisians live alone.

French people are only too happy to tell you how things should be done, to the point of driving you nuts.

Medical care is good but you’d better have private insurance for the topup bit.

And yes, lunch arrangements will be good and the food excellent.

Best advice is to try to find accommodation within walking or cycling distance of the office.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anybody work/ed in France ?’ is closed to new replies.