Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anybody work in an emergency services control room?
  • monkey_boy
    Free Member

Morning All,

There are jobs coming up in our local emergency control centre, I know somebody quite high up in there and my current experience in an indirect way lends itself to the role.

It will be a bit of a step down salary wise and it is shift work, both of which I think I could cope with but know initially it won’t be easy, we also have a 3 year old daughter…

I’ve been in my current job for 10 years and there is no chance of moving up the ladder and to be honest I don’t enjoy it (technical sales) and want a new challenge.

I just wondered if anybody works in a control centre and could share their experiences, also I guess people who work shifts aswell who have moved from standard 9-5 to shifts..

Cheers

sweepy
    Free Member

This might not be true everywhere, but my sister works doing something like this for the rozzers and the shift pattern was very rigid, and somehow meant that she didnt get an xmas off for many a long year.

Bucko

I worked in the Ambulance control room for 8 years before changing job role to a student paramedic last October. I moved up through a couple ranks but was never management.

I was a car mechanic working ‘normal’ hours before that. I much prefer shift work, especially 12 hour shifts, they fit around my lifestyle very well. I get lots of time off when everyone else is at work so it’s less busy in the shops, on the trails etc, but I do obviously have to work nights and weekends but that doesn’t bother me and never has.

I have a 5 month old son now and shift work means I spend a lot more quality time with him than I would do if I worked 9-5.

Feel free to ask me any questions as I don’t feel I’ve really helped you much yet.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers both for taking the time to reply…

she didnt get an xmas off for many a long year.

this is indeed correct and my contact did mention this but she said you adapt quite quickly.

I get lots of time off when everyone else is at work so it’s less busy in the shops, on the trails etc

i have a rose tinted view of how it will be like this but then on the flip side i can imagine it is a nightmare when you have a crying daughter and annoyed wife as you leave through the door on an afternoon shift..

but as i said its long overdue for a move and i need a new challenge and i work well when there is a good training strategy in place.

its funny you mention becoming a student paramedic as this is what ive thought about for a long time but our local trust has had a cap on spending for years and it looks like the floodgates have opened a bit hence these positions so it could be a foot in the door for a view of a long career.

my contact reckons I would be suitable as my experience, age and the fact i do some voluntary first aid work will put in a good position.

i guess apply and see what happens, you only have to make a decision when the letter lands on the doormat!

can i ask what your shift patterns were, i think it is 12 hour shifts so obviously not the classic 6-2, 2-10, 10-6 i have in my head.

the salary is roughly band 3 16.5 > 19.5k with shift allowance, but there’s rumours of people taking home 35k plus with overtime

cheers again

Bucko

So leaving the crying baby and annoyed wife in the morning for your 9-5, getting home just in time for bath time 5 days a week is better is it? I can’t imagine only having 2 free days a week (the weekend) to spend quality time with them.

I can only speak for SWASFT but they offer a 10 hour or a 12 hour rota. 10 hours being a mixture of shifts like 07-17, 08-18, 10-20, 14-00, 16-02. Never working until later than 0200. The 12 hour shifts are 0630-1830 or 0700-1900 on a 4 on 4 off pattern.

I’be worked about 50% of Christmas and New Years over the last 9 years but its just part of the job.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

So leaving the crying baby and annoyed wife in the morning for your 9-5, getting home just in time for bath time 5 days a week is better is it? I can’t imagine only having 2 free days a week (the weekend) to spend quality time with them.

when you put it that way, i guess you just adapt anyway.

thanks for the shift info. 😆

meehaja
    Free Member

Hello, currently im an operational paramedic, but soon to relocate to comms as a clinical advisor. Shift work is, for me, great. I get time off midweek for quiet rides/climbing/ walking etc. I do the weekly shop at 3am and i get to spend more time with my son than i would if i were 9-5. That said, my wife has only ever known me as a paramedic, but shift work can be hard for partners to get used to, also missing most weekends (2/5 off for me) can be a strain. Someone on band 3 bringing in 35k has no life and needs to be exposed to some daylight, that said. Overtime is often plentiful and is good for holiday/mot/ bike bling etc.

generally quite good work, satisfying etc. I work with loads of staff who started out in comms, so development is not rare, that said, if you want to go operational andcan live on band 3 then maybe apply for eca? I don’t know what area you are, but loads are recruiting at the moment? Hth

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anybody work in an emergency services control room?’ is closed to new replies.