Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anybody with reucrring Gout – how do you manage yours?
  • squattingmouse
    Free Member

So two weeks after the inital attack it’s started again. Already cutting the diet and upping the water intake and exercise. My GP has said some people do just get it and has givgen me indommetacin to take during an attack and talked to me about alloupurinol which would be a one a day tablet for preventing it.

I’ve decided to stay off the purinol tablets for now unless these attacks are really regular and start affecting what I can do. Anybody successfully managed theirs? If so how?

sweepy
    Free Member

I just have a ginormous bandage the size of a football on my toe and call anyone who comes near it a bally idiot 🙂

alaric

Best mate gets it from time to time. One of the triggers (he believes) is the chlorine in tap water – he’s had few episodes since switching to bottled.

prettygreenparrot

I seem to recall that a new treatment that’s effective for gout was approved not so long ago Febuxostat

Oxboy
    Free Member

Best lay off the port and game old chap, tally ho!

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Ta guys – my GP was telling me the rich food is a bit of myth as 99% of the western world now eats the diet, even when trying to be healthy, that puts you at risk of gout. Those of us that get it just jhave blood chemisrty that’s a bit more vulnerable is all.

The drinking mroe water and losing weight thing has already started just wondering if there were any other ways of helping stave it off.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

My old man drinks plenty of cherry juice. Don’t know what it does but it seems to do the trick.

Milt
    Free Member

Cut down on booze & Marmite.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I’m on allopurinol 300mg once a day after food with plenty of water. Seems to do the trick, but it does mean I can’t use ibuprofen

I was on the smallest dose of 100mg but the attacks would occasionally come back, so they upped the does & I haven’t needed any indometacin for a long long time. Which is good as it gives me a bad stomach

I believe there is a hereditary link – if there’s a history of it in the family, you’re more likely to suffer than someone with no family history of gout

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I believe there is a hereditary link – if there’s a history of it in the family, you’re more likely to suffer than someone with no family history of gout

Bugger. 🙁

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Yep – my gradnad and great grandad had it regularly. Sorry neilsonwheels…

Zoolander
    Free Member

My old man suffers but similarly cherries seem to do the trick for him.

J-R

I would go with your doctor’s advice – for most people Allopurinol works very effectively at preventing gout and generally without side effects. And that has been my experience of taking it daily for 30 years.

There are a number of “natural” remedies talked about, such as cherries, but I have never found any clinical evidence they worked. For every person who has a story about how it worked for them, how many tried the the supposed remedy and found no effect.

We are lucky that for such a painful and ultimately disabling disease, we have a magic pill that controls it so easily and effectively.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

True in my family, both Father and Grand Father suffer ( suffered ) from it.

Dad managed his illness by avoiding alcohol, especially port and Rasberrys which is working just fine, and I am doing the same and ( touch wood ) it is working for me so far though I understand there are a multitude of different triggers for an attack, the trick is to try and work out what your trigger is and avoid it … not easy

willard

Gout? Do people still get that?

I thought that gout was a Victorian affliction caused by too much rich food and good port. You are Lord Flasheart and I claim my £5!

codybrennan
    Free Member

Why have you decided to stop taking the Allopurinol? It’ll do you (and you kidneys) the most good, and will have some preventative action.

bigsi
    Free Member

I used to get it about once every few months.

GP advised me to try & find the trigger food any avoid it for a while then slowly reintroduce it back in to the diet.

For me it turned out to be ofal & shellfish such as scallops & mussells.

It’s all to do with the level of Purins they contain

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anybody with reucrring Gout – how do you manage yours?’ is closed to new replies.