Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Anybody used Fermacell instead of plasterboard and skim?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Our upstairs landing currently is papered with woodchip which is propably hiding a rough surface. There are also 9 adjustable (wider than fixed) downlighters that I’d like to change to a smaller number of fixed downlighters.
    One solution would be to fit new plasterboard and skim again, but this would involve a lot of mess and involve a complete redecoration and new carpet.
    I’ve read a little about Fermacell which it seems you put up like plasterboard (i.e. could be fitted under the existing ceiling) but does not require skimming. This would make it a dry job and therefore no new carpets and the existing wall finish would probably be fine too.
    Anybody come across/used this stuff?

TimP
    Free Member

We are using it on a job in London as an alternative as suggested, however we are using it for its high impact resistance and fire protection and acoustic properties (we are using it instead of 2 layers of plasterboard)so it sounds like it might be a bit over the top for what you want? Dont know too much about it (as I am a Structural Eng) so dont know whether it comes in thinner boards than the ones the architect has specced which might be more suitable. I think it is also quite expensive.

leffeboy

as far as I know you don’t have to skim plasterboard, only where you join the boards together. Fermacell appears to be the same except they appear to have their own compound for joining the boards although I can’t see why regular plaster wouldn’t work.

Might be completely wrong of course but the Fermacell we have was put up just like plasterboard or at least appeared to be.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sharkbait
    Free Member

Tim there’s a 10mm version which would be fine. If I could get away with just palsterboard then that would be great but it would be a painted finish an dmay look a bit rough.
    There again, how many people look at the ceiling?!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Anybody used Fermacell instead of plasterboard and skim?’ is closed to new replies.