• This topic has 249 replies, 59 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by kinixecig-spam.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 250 total)
  • Anybody use them electronic ciggies?
  • nealglover
    Free Member

…After reading this thread I am even more confused.
    Tempted by Sky Cig… But I’m not sure what is best!

Not Sky Cig. (In my opinion)

They are overpriced and won’t last five minutes.
    You will be buying them over and over as they fail.
    They taste pretty rank so they don’t really appeal for very long.
    Don’t give off much vapour so they don’t really do the job very well.
    They give a very weak throat hit so they don’t really replace the feeling of smoking very well.
    Etc
    Etc.

The Riva kit linked to on page 1 and some decent juice is a faaaaaar better option.

And as for the size, I hold mine in my hand and press the button with my thumb, that way you can’t even see it. So it’s not an issue. But I don’t really care anyway, people hardly ever notice, and more people are using them now than they were a few years ago, so it’s not really an issue.

mdavids
    Free Member

I’ve been on the skycigs and they’ve helped me to finally quit a very light (2-3 per day) habit.

However they started giving me a very dry, sore throat, especially when waking up, and I was often getting a catch in my throat when talking. So I’ve pretty much quit those as well and I’d be wary of using them regularly.

matther01
    Free Member

Better off going cold turkey…4 weeks now from 10 a day and can honestly say not even tempted…although I could murder one whenever I have a pint!

nealglover
    Free Member

Better off going cold turkey

That’s fine for some people, but others have tried and failed.

No point making life more difficult that it needs to be.

Also, if you could murder a cigarette when you have a drink, wouldn’t that be a good use of an e-cig ?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

No problem 2unfit, just passing on what was recommended to me tbh, altho I actually bough just the clearomiser option in the end ie roughly same kit but without the cartridges. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts about both options cartridges/clearomiser after you’ve tried them both ie flavour/hit/smoke/ease of use etc.
    Just ask if you have any further questions, BTW you press the button on the side of the battery to vape. I had to phone up the seller to ask how to use it when I got mine, instructions failed to mention it. 🙂

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thanks again, & also thanks to nealglover, I forgot to say that earlier & it really gets my goat when you make the effort to make a real contribution to a forum & no one bothers to say thank you.
    You have both been most helpful in your replies to this thread, so I thank you both, but obviously not forgetting everyone else that has contributed to this thread 😉

Cheers.

Milkie
    Free Member

Ordered e-lites!
    Thanks for all the info guys. 😉
    Found some discount codes too!

NHS20 – 20% discount
    200CH – 5 Extra tips when you buy a re-usable

seosamh77
    Free Member

How do people feel these things help with exercise? Do you think it’s like not smoking? Tempted to give them a go also.

nealglover
    Free Member

How do people feel these things help with exercise? Do you think it’s like not smoking?

It’s nothing like smoking.

It’s basically water vapour, with nicotine.

No poisons. No tar. No carcinogens.

I would say that as far as fitness goes, it’s the same as not smoking.

Sitting in a steam room doesn’t reduce lung capacity, so I can see that E-Cigs would.

And I am getting fitter and fitter all the time.

spacemonkey

The missus has had a v stressful year and is puffing 20 real fags a day (as opposed to less than half that in recent years). I mentioned the e-lites to her last night but she wasn’t in the most co-operative of moods.

TBH I’d like her to dump the fags and give these a go but I sense she needs some diplomatic encouragement. I want to say “I’ll buy you the starter kit blah blah on the proviso you give them 100% and don’t spark up for real.” But this is my agenda, not hers. She doesn’t have one right now. If her heart’s not in it then it’ll be another wasted “intention”.

I gave up smoking 10 years ago so I know what it’s like. And I’m pi55ed off that she still smokes even though TBF it has been a properly horrible year.

Any advise from those who’ve helped their other halves quit?

Cheers

EDIT: BTW, the incentive of saving £2000/yr or whatever it is didn’t exactly hit home last night either!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

E-Liquid is usually made up of mostly a propylene glycol (PG) or vegetable glycerin (VG) base. Both are used extensively in food production. Flavouring is added, again all used heavily in food production, as well as liquid nicotine of the desired strength. The liquid is vapourised in an atomiser producing, smoke, a throat hit, flavour and nicotine delivery.

The only negative of it is there have been no long term tests done. However, I believe it’s universally accepted that it’s going to be massively less harmful than smoking.

elzorillo
    Free Member

I asked the very same question a couple of months ago for my missus..

Bought her the skycig kit against many peoples advice and for the first couple of day she was impressed. The short life of the battery and the cig bit you screw on sent her straight back to proper cigs. I investigated further.

Now this vaping lark can look BLOODY complicated to an outsider, and it appears to me that most ‘vapers’ seem intent on making it sound complicated too. There are all sorts of weird kits about.

Simple breakdown.. I bought the riva kit (same as the ego kit but cheaper) for about £30.. came with two batteries and two clearomizers (this is a clear tank that you fill with the liquid) that screws onto the battery with a mouth piece attached. Initially ignore all the advice about mixing your own liquids etc and just buy a couple of ready to go liquids. It works out very cheap. 30ml of liquid will cost about £10 and is still half full a month later!!!

As i said.. you’ll see all sorts of stuff about drip tips and cartomizers.. Ignore the lot and just start simple.. you fill the clear thing and just use it til it’s empty then refil it. You can get more adventurous later on if you wish.

As for the results.. she still has a cig in the morning.. one after a meal and maybe one before bed (urgh!!).. but from a serious habit to about 4 a day is a great result..

I thoroughly recomend it.. if you need any advice re purchase, just ask.

Best sites seem to be..

http://www.ukecigstore.com/
    http://www.liberty-flights.co.uk/

but as I said.. keep it simple or you’ll put her off.

Edit: a pic of the kit with clearomizer attached to battery (it’s a lot more descreet than it looks).

spacemonkey

Nice one Elzorillo. So you bought one of these?

Looks like a lot of kit to faff around with? Whereas the e-lites seem pretty simple.

I’m not worried about saving say £10/£20/£30 a month (on comparing kits) because a key to ‘er indoors taking this up will be its simplicity.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

How do people feel these things help with exercise?

I’ve been on e-cigs 2 months and 100% smoking free for 1.5 months. I smoked at most about 10 a day, mostly evenings and pretty much all my adult life.
    In recent years I’ve really noticed my reduced lung capacity, particularly when away on occasional Lakes/N Wales walking weekends.
    In the last 7 years I’ve really noticed how difficult it is for me to walk up a steep hill at pace and hold a conversation. Most words interspersed with gasping.
    I went away to the Lakes last weekend, after 2 months on e-cigs, and the lung capacity improvement was very noticeable, and, I’d done virtually no exercise since mid Sept, by rights I should have been struggling, but I wasn’t.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Looks like a lot of kit to faff around with? Whereas the e-lites seem pretty simple.

I started on e-lites, now using pretty much what’s pictured above. The e-lites are a lot more hassle, more expensive and poorer performance. they also use a unique fitting, so you are tied into them ie you can’t reuse the batteries on anything else.

seosamh77
    Free Member

cool cheers.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Nice one Elzorillo. So you bought one of these?

I’m not worried about saving say £10/£20/£30 a month (on comparing kits) because a key to ‘er indoors taking this up will be its simplicity.

The key for my wife was simplicity too.. The kits look like a lot of faffing purely because they usually come with lots of different bits, such as sample carts etc.. as I said, all you need is the battery and the clear tank with the mouth piece.. ignore everything else. It IS as simple as the sky cig things apart from one detail.. you unscrew the tank once in a while and simply pour liquid in. A tank lasts my wife close on a couple of days.

It really is a lot more simple than the impression you get from the kits.

elzorillo
    Free Member

This is the actual kit I bought.. I ignored all the carts that came with it and just bought a second clear tank for about £5. so she always has two available. The battery lasts at least 4 times as long as the skycig too.

http://www.ukecigstore.com/e-cigarettes/starter-kits/viva-la-riva-deluxe-vision-innokin-and-riva-510-starter-kit-650

spacemonkey

I’ve just been on the phone to ukecigstore about that exact same kit. Seems like she just needs that and maybe an extra 3ml bottle of eliquid and away she goes. Sounds like the kit has enough “vapes” to last several weeks at the equiv of 20/day 🙂

Right, am going to put on my diplomacy hat and have a word with her ladyship …

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

spacemonkey
    The person has to actually want to stop/convert. from what you say, she doesn’t sound like she’s necessarily in that camp. Best thing to do is list all the positives of changing over, there are loads.

elzorillo
    Free Member

My wife has no intention of stopping.. I just bought the kit and said.. ‘here.. try this’

She loved it. 😀

Couple of benefits.. no smell.. no going outside when it’s raining or cold.. you can use it in the car.. I guarantee with will be very suprised how similar to an actual cig it really is.

spacemonkey

The person has to actually want to stop/convert. from what you say, she doesn’t sound like she’s necessarily in that camp.

Agreed. I have a coaching background so I like to think I’m well versed in stepping back and “helping” the other person invoke their own catalyst(s) for change. Not so easy when it’s your missus though 🙂

very suprised how similar to an actual cig it really is.

But they don’t look anything like real cigs – is that not an issue (either psychologically to the smoker as well as to an “audience”)? OTOH, the e-lites look more “normal” albeit with a green light on the end 🙂

elzorillo
    Free Member

But they don’t look anything like real cigs – is that not an issue (either psychologically to the smoker as well as to an “audience”)? OTOH, the e-lites look more “normal” albeit with a green light on the end

I should have clarified.. I meant the physical experience of inhaling as opposed to what it looks like.

I’d recommend just buying one and handing it to her.. just watch the suprise on her face the first time she tries it.

spacemonkey

Well, I’ve said my bit but I’m not holding my breath. If she doesn’t opt in then I’ll give it a while and probably buy the pack anyway 😈

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

My list was stuff like:
    smell in house
    yellow fingers
    teeth
    smell on clothes
    cost
    lungs
    ash/stubs/ashtray
    burn holes in clothing

But they don’t look anything like real cigs – is that not an issue (either psychologically to the smoker as well as to an “audience”)? OTOH, the e-lites look more “normal” albeit with a green light on the end

This is the difficult one, e-lites/skycigs are rubbish in comparison, but they do look-a-like, that’s about their only positive selling feature IMO.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

spacemonkey
    You could investigate something like this http://www.exhalecigarette.co.uk/product-p/eekskw.htm it’s more cig like than the clearomisers, looks like a fountain pen and the tip is a bit like those cigarette holders that posh ladies used to use. 2 big batteries and refillable etc etc
    I’ve no direct experience of that specific system, but eXhale are a recommended seller, they sell good kit
    Or this http://www.exhalecigarette.co.uk/product-p/eetkw.htm

spacemonkey

Cheers, I’ll keep that one in reserve if her ladyship has issues with the Riva thingy.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

B.A.Nana – Member

No problem 2unfit, just passing on what was recommended to me tbh, altho I actually bough just the clearomiser option in the end ie roughly same kit but without the cartridges. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts about both options cartridges/clearomiser after you’ve tried them both ie flavour/hit/smoke/ease of use etc.

Ok, a quick update for you, the kit arrived at 10am this morning & I haven’t had a fag since! 🙂

I know it’s early days but the difference between this kit & the Elites one I had before is like night & day, it really is close to smoking & I now understand what they mean by ‘throat hit’. So far I’m using the clearomiser as it really isn’t any trouble to fill & I like the fact you can see how much you have left so no danger of running out. I have literally just finished dinner & I thought that this would be the hardest time for me, but I’m vaping ATM & it seems fine, I guess the real test will be when the wine gets opened later ❓
    I only ordered menthol in both the clearomiser & the cartridges, might try the others, but so far it’s been mint! 😉

Cheers.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

ok,
    you’ll likely go mad on it for a while, new toy syndrome and all that. if you do go mad, you might experience slight irritation of the soft palette (roof of your mouth) for 24hrs or so, but maybe not if you were a regular smoker.

The clearomiser is easy to clean, I do it about once a week. If you become set on the clearo and want to add another at a later date, then I’d recommend the Mini Nova or Vivi Nova (you might have to also buy an adaptor/collar, not sure if that’s just cosmetic or necessary?). They are better quality and better at keeping the liquid in, but no improvement in actual vaping tho. The type you have is perfectly good, I still use mine regularly, just a little bit more fiddly on refilling down the narrow gap (the Vivi Nova has a much bigger gap). I think the Nova comes with atomisers of different ohms, which change the vape slightly, but I haven’t explored that yet.

I’ve been buying liquid from Vapourtine using disc code XMAS35 for 35% off, this gives the opportunity to try lots of flavours, cheaply. No idea of it’s quality/origin tho. I’ve got loads of 5ml testers now, different strengths and PG/VG mixes. In Jan, I’ll probably start exploring better quality recommendations (as per nealglover’s posts), to see if the vape is any better.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thanks again, I like the menthol one, but I have just remembered that there is a reason I don’t brush my teeth just before going to the pub, mint kills the taste of beer!
    Any suggestions for a decent flavour that won’t over power, whilst not being sickly sweet & believe it or not-not tobacco flavoured ?

Cheers again.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I wasn’t keen on buying the sweet/fruit flavours to start off, but neither was I keen on trying mint/menthol. As it turns out, I like both within reason. Don’t bother with energycow (redbull), far too sickly sweet. Mango/watermelon etc I like. Mint I like, not tried menthol, but imagine it’s pretty much the same as mint. coffee/vanilla/banana etc good, dark chocolate, I don’t like. Pinacolada, I quite like, but might be too sweet for you, don’t no. RY4 tobacco seems popular on the forums, I’ve yet to make a judgement. I quite like mixing extremes, so a bit of dark chocolate might be ok after some tangerine (or even mixing together, perhaps?).

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

As a smoker who wanted or needed when injured of late started again, I can thouroughly recommend peach flavour, smooth and tangy.

Love the real deal stufffine cut not rough cut baccy.
    This thread has just reminded me, i need to find that lost packet of bh gold rolling as i want a roll!

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

I think I’m going to get one of these for both me and my missus, we both smoke 20 a day and my wife has just had half her teeth and gum removed due to cancerous cells 🙁
    She’s still smoking even though she knows its probably the cause of it.
    I need a kick up the arse too as we are both mid forties with a toddler, I really want us both to see her grow up.

scuzz
    Free Member

This is a daft question – where do you all put them when you’re not using them? Are they OK sitting in your pockets in da club grinding da ladies?

gt900uk
    Free Member

http://www.ukecigstore.com/e-cigarettes/starter-kits/innokin-aio-pcc-kit Was thinking about getting this any thoughts? Mainly just for use on nights out when i like a smoke.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

If I was going down the cig-look-o-like route, which I wouldn’t cos they’re cr@p, I’d probably go for something like your link rather than e-lites/skycig.
    e-lites/skycig are a bit of a con and environmentally unfriendly IMO. They want you to keep buying expensive new cartridges, when infact they could just be refilled. Of course, they make refilling them as difficult as possible, but it is possible. e-lite batterys can only be used with e-lite cartridges (so I’m told), so they make sure you are tied in to buying from them. Also the vape is poor, certainly with e-lites.
    The system you’ve linked to is e-lites/skycig like, but the big dif. is the cartridges are designed to be reused/refilled with liquid. So, it will be cheaper to run, more environmentally friendly and a decent vape.

However, as has been said thru-out, the batteries on these cig-o-like things don’t last long. The batteries on that Innokin kit are 190mah (my smallest battery is 650mah). I wouldn’t be surprised if it lasts 15mins and takes 2hrs to recharge.

Go for it tho, if you absolutely have to have a cig-look-o-like.

gt900uk
    Free Member

Thanks for that, yeah i thought the charging pack thing would offset the battery life to a certain extent. I see you can get larger capacity 510 batteries would they also be physically larger?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

i thought the charging pack thing would offset the battery life to a certain extent.

it probably will, to a certain extent!

I see you can get larger capacity 510 batteries would they also be physically larger?

I’m just guessing, but upto 250mah or there abouts, probably not. over 250mah, probably yes. I think you can get longer bigger batteries, so you just might not be able to close the charger case lid. 510 battery system is pretty universal in ecigworld, so at least they will be reuseable across other systems (unlike e-lites). I’d recommend contacting ukecigstore and asking.
    I just found the constant battery management a pain. An option is to have plenty of pre-charged 510 baterries, that would work.

elzorillo
    Free Member

My wife has two 510 650mah batteries (the standard one that comes with the riva/ego pack) and they’re absolutely fine.

They charge from flat to full in about 20 mins and last all day.

The battery life of the ecig lookalike things (skycig etc) were abismal.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Hmmm, is this going to be as addictive as smoking? I still haven’t had a fag but my expenditure has extrapolated big time!

Yesterday after I explained about the menthol & beer problem I went & ordered a load of E-liquid & a couple more clearomisers praying they would come today so I could enjoy this evening without the fags, well no doubt through no fault of the vendor they didn’t come today so fearing the that I may face defeat this evening I scoured the web for shop based retailer near me in the hope I could get some juice, no joy but I did find out that the owner of a company called supervape lives up the road from where I work & has a number listed on his site. I gave him a call & asked if he had a shop or if he was just a web based seller, no real surprise that he works from home but he said it was cool to come over to have a chat & he would show me his wares. So I went over this evening & had a good chat, looked at some stuff, tried a few different flavours & I came away with a much better understanding, a new kit with variable batteries & rebuildable clearomisers & shitload of juice.

Total spend so far is in the region of £150 & I have been off the fags for less that three days, I hope this works out!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 250 total)

The topic ‘Anybody use them electronic ciggies?’ is closed to new replies.