Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anybody use Mtb Tubular tyres?
  • c_klein87

They seem an ideal option, no heavy sidewall like tubeless, less punctures than tubes etc. I can see that the initial installation is tricky and limited rims choices, reynolds, enve comps, ax lightness maybe some alu versions as well. Just wanted to know if ppl had much experience of them?

njee20
    Free Member

Ideal? Really? Fine on the road, but unless you have multiple sets of MTB wheels they’re far too much faff I reckon.

Still be interested to try a set though.

MikeWW
    Free Member

Tubulars are used a fair bit for cyclocross racing and offer more grip,lightweight etc. I believe they are starting to be used at the top end of MTB racing. Not a good idea for normal riding

Rorschach
    Free Member

Super expensive,an arse to fit (and time consuming) and you’re screwed if you rip a sidewall on the trail.
    Ideal-for racing.

paul78
    Free Member

Can see them being very condition dependent..

I switched mid cross season from clinchers to tubulars on my cross bike and the difference in greasy muddy conditions is night and day.. the tubulars are alot more supple and can run at crazy low pressures so grip is brilliant especially off camber.

When its dry and you are running more pressure then I can imagine there being little or no difference from using a normal clincher.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Never used them but now have a bad feeling for them after seeing a demo bike at Eurobike shed a tyre right in front of me. The guy was out of the saddle, climbing up a grassy slope. If the manufacturers can’t get them fitted properly, are we going to get it right every time?

I’m normally an embracer of innovation but apparently this wasn’t the only time it happened that day.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anybody use Mtb Tubular tyres?’ is closed to new replies.